closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving from London to Edinburgh

Driving from London to Edinburgh

We have decided to holiday in the UK given the continual increase in overseas destinations requiring quarantine. As such we thought we would base ourselves in Edinburgh and do trips around Loch Lomond, Highlands etc. Given the fact the sightseeing is best done in a car we are thinking of driving up instead of flying or the train.

Google maps indicates a 7 hour drive. Myself and Mrs ryanb741 will take it in turns swapping every 100 miles or so at service stations. Car is a RR Velar.

Any experience of this drive? Tips to share? Seems to be motorways most of the way so relatively straightforward

Make sure you top up fuel at every opportunity around the highlands as I nearly got caught out on a drive from the north east up to Elgin a couple of years ago, running on vapours in eco mode is not the most pleasing experience...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Make sure you top up fuel at every opportunity around the highlands as I nearly got caught out on a drive from the north east up to Elgin a couple of years ago, running on vapours in eco mode is not the most pleasing experience...

Good point. The Velar is a petrol model too and is a thirsty little barsteward so I'll make sure to do that thanks

Blog Entries
    Leave early to get around the major cities before rush hour if you can.

Try to schedule it so that you can take lunch at Tebay Services.

Northern stretch M6 often has speed cameras on the bridges - So set the cruise control & stay safe.

Here’s a trip I did a few years back - The Jag XF 2.0d (180) - was an ideal companion for the trip.

Eilean Donan Castle, Dornie - at the end of the trip

z
    Last edited by zelig; 16th August 2020 at 12:04.

Master
    Since Loch Lomond is closer to the west coast, basing yourself in Glasgow would make more sense but if you’ve already made bookings in Edinburgh you can do some east coast sight-seeing as well.

Craftsman
    I do this one semi-regularly for work. I prefer the A1/M1 -> A66 -> A74M route up towards Glasgow and then the M8 over to Edinburgh.

The A74M is the most glorious stretch of 3-lane motorway you’ll ever drive because it’s never busy! I’ve done the whole stretch from Glasgow to Penrith without having to use the middle or outside lane.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

Master
    Take the M6 Toll, and try to be past Manchester by 9am, and you should be fine.

Easy drive to Edinburgh, so I wouldn’t worry about that, but I would concentrate on your itinerary once up here.

Taking in Loch Lomond and the Highlands, but with Edinburgh as a base? You’re basically describing the whole of Scotland... loads of driving. 60 miles does not equal a one hour journey on the mixture of single carriageways and rural roads.

Maybe focus on where and what you want to see. Loch Lomond from Edinburgh would be a good day trip, sure, but plenty of things to do around Edinburgh, extend to St Andrews and the like.

My favourite part of the country, being the West Coast/Highlands is a good 4-5 hours from Edinburgh, so perhaps you’d prefer to base yourself further up, like Aviemore/Inverness or further West, somewhere on the North Coast 500.

You’ll have a great time regardless, but a little focus on what you want to see will be a massive help.

OK - here's one - have a lazy day and visit Roslin Chapel. Worth the trip alone, and on the doorstep. If you're not impressed I will refund the entrance money myself.

Presuming that it is open of course.

Stirling may be an option if your travelling through Edinburgh to Loch Lomond if the castle/monument is open. If for any reason you stop off at Tyndrum for a pit stop, then avoid the Green Welly Shop for food. It's a complete rip off. Go across the road to the Real Food Co. The Food is much better and reasonable priced.

If you do head up the West Coast , then travelling through Glencoe is a must

Not sure which way you plan to go but we drove up to Scotland last year and the roadworks on the M6 were a pain with 50mph restrictions. Not sure if they are still in place? We left at 6am and was in Glasgow just after lunchtime, so not too bad. If you don't mind paying, the M6 toll road saves some time.

The highlands are beautiful BTW.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I’d get the sleeper train there and back. Then hire a car whilst you’re up there.

Get into the mindset that it takes as long as it takes, no pressure, no plane to catch, just Cruze it ,it takes as long as it does, stop in a few places
    Last edited by adrianw; 16th August 2020 at 09:26.

Morning Ryan

I'm based near M6 Jn 27, between Warrington and Preston.

I've done the Northern and Southern legs of your journey pretty much bi-weekly for over 25 years.

The BIG hot spot is Stafford (Jn 12) to Stoke (Jn 16) - even with WfH, there are daily lane closures due to driver stupidity, lorry breakdown etc.
    The incident may be on either carriageway - the other side will slow right down to take a good look - morons.

The M6 Toll will avoid Birmingham/M5 junction, but often drops you into the tail of a queue heading North up to Stafford.
    Likewise Sandbach (J 18 - 19) is frequently restricted due to accidents.

Once you are past Preston, you are very unlikely to hit any significant traffic until Hamilton, as you approach Glasgow.

If you are heading to Embra, I would recommend leaving the M74 at Abington, and heading across country on the A702 if you have an hour to spare and want a nice route.

I used to commute weekly to Linlithgow, and would stay on the M74 to join the M8 toward Embra - tedious, but the fastest route if there are no accidents.

There are motorway services every 12-15 miles - Tebay in the North Lakes is consistently an award winner for best services, but that's damning with faint praise.

Getting to Warrington is the tough part, after that it should be an easy run.
    Last edited by W124; 16th August 2020 at 09:32.

Just be ready for the huge amount of traffic, scarce accommodation and lay-bys full of vans and camper vans.

I was up in Ullapool on Friday night, returned yesterday - roads nose to tail heading for the Trossachs and Highlands.

Oh - almost forgot, Lay-bys littered with crap and toilet paper.

Midge population up 26% on last year, so go prepared!

You won’t be disappointed with the Highlands, but you will be disappointed in others.

Tips ? Yeah take a rain coat. Scotland is miserable all year round

Master
    Not all year round, we had summer at 3pm last Tuesday, just before winter at 4pm!

Blog Entries

^^^ this ^^^

I have some experience with that... When I found a petrol pump in Oban, I was able to add more fuel than the manual’s description.

- - - Updated - - -

^^^ this ^^^

I have some experience with that... When I found a petrol pump in Oban, I was able to add more fuel than the manual’s description.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have far too much experience of this route. I've done it for the past 10 years.

Its far better to do the A1 all the way up and not the m1 m6.
    The A1 is just a nicer drive, particularly after Newcastle. M1 M6 have a lot of roadworks as they're being upgraded in parts to smart motorways and are just awful atm. I used to drive Lancaster to London and back evert week before lockdown and did that for 2 years. If I was on the east coast again it would be a1 all the way.

And importantly, if you're going round the Highlands get some Avon skin so soft (amazon) and smother yourself in it religiously or you'll be eaten alive.
    Last edited by verv; 16th August 2020 at 09:45.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I have far too much experience of this route. I've done it for the past 10 years.

The A1 is just a nicer drive, particularly after Newcastle.
    Just be aware after Newcastle there is long stretches of hidden speed cameras and single carriageway where the tractors love to slow down and never pull over...

Blog Entries

The A1 is just a nicer drive, particularly after Newcastle. M1 M6 have a lot of roadworks as they're being upgraded in parts to smart motorways and are just awful atm. I used to drive Lancaster to London and back evert week before lockdown and did that for 2 years. If I was on the east coast again it would be a1 all the way.

And importantly, if you're going round the Highlands get some Avon skin so soft (amazon) and smother yourself in it religiously or you'll be eaten alive.
    This.

And consider taking a break such as in York - book a room for the night. Lovely city to visit. We went up via the Lake District also. We stayed near St Andrews - worth checking out the distilleries nearby and up the W. coast.

view from our stay

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just a point on the Avon so soft, there are two recipes for this product, the one with citronella and the one without, you need the one with it for the midgies.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just be aware after Newcastle there is long stretches of hidden speed cameras and single carriageway where the tractors love to slow down and never pull over...

This is true
    I use the waze app, it gives you plenty of warning for the cameras :)

Seadog right. Get the citronella one. Deet and jungle formula doesn't work for midges.

This ^^^^^. A1 + Avon cream, by all accounts many road's North of Central region could be rammed as people are in "staycation" mode,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

This is true
    I use the waze app, it gives you plenty of warning for the cameras :)

Seadog right. Get the citronella one. Deet and jungle formula doesn't work for midges.
    The stuff I used yesterday morning in Ullapool certainly seemed to work (wish I had lathered it on before trying to load the bike) - Jungle Formula with DEET. (The spray was at least 2yrs old too)

A quick internet search seems to support that?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really do chuckle when I read about these huge and seemingly daring journeys people are going to make from down south (south of Watford gap anyway) into the great unknown and even Scotland dare I say! We’ll make sure the drawbridge is down as long as you bring a few buckets of electricity please😜😜 Don’t bring London air or Thames water as ours is much fresher and better for you 🤪🤪

Seriously though: Why would you want to change every 100 miles or so though? That’ll make it a terribly long journey for no reason. 7 hours already seems excessive given its c350 miles from central London. You’ve got a big comfy car so drive it! Which route are you going to take - east or west side of the country?

Don’t forget, Edinburgh to the real highlands can take a while and might mean more than a days return journey.

Be great to see you both and say hello Ryan.

All the best!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    We have decided to holiday in the UK given the continual increase in overseas destinations requiring quarantine. As such we thought we would base ourselves in Edinburgh and do trips around Loch Lomond, Highlands etc. Given the fact the sightseeing is best done in a car we are thinking of driving up instead of flying or the train.

Google maps indicates a 7 hour drive. Myself and Mrs ryanb741 will take it in turns swapping every 100 miles or so at service stations. Car is a RR Velar.

Any experience of this drive? Tips to share? Seems to be motorways most of the way so relatively straightforward

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough.
    I've been using jungle formula for the last 2-3 weeks in the Borders and have still been eaten alive by the little swines.

Think they must like my blood though as I always get bitten badly when those im with are getting nowt.

Master
    Blog Entries
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Easy drive to Edinburgh, so I wouldn’t worry about that, but I would concentrate on your itinerary once up here.

Taking in Loch Lomond and the Highlands, but with Edinburgh as a base? You’re basically describing the whole of Scotland... loads of driving. 60 miles does not equal a one hour journey on the mixture of single carriageways and rural roads.

Maybe focus on where and what you want to see. Loch Lomond from Edinburgh would be a good day trip, sure, but plenty of things to do around Edinburgh, extend to St Andrews and the like.

My favourite part of the country, being the West Coast/Highlands is a good 4-5 hours from Edinburgh, so perhaps you’d prefer to base yourself further up, like Aviemore/Inverness or further West, somewhere on the North Coast 500.

You’ll have a great time regardless, but a little focus on what you want to see will be a massive help.

Midges are only a problem if the wind speed is less than 4mph.
    DEET does work as effectively as citronella. How well it works will very from person to person.
    Edinburgh or Glasgow are way too low down Scotland if you want to tour.
    Look for something more central as a base, or consider the NW500 loop as an altenative.
    The trip up from London, do it overnight, you will encounter virtually no traffic, quiet services, and overall it's very interesting, relaxing and stress free.

A bit off topic, but for those whose interest is aroused by the concept......
    Bearing in mind that my car is as old as me, when I go back to my roots (my family is from Huntly) I take the diametrically opposite approach.
    The Highlands and Argyll are absolutely beautiful; my present wife literally could not believe her eyes the first time I took her there.
    So are the Borders.
    So is northern England.
    We were due to go to Aberfeldy this year, which of course got cancelled. It was going to take me three days to get there- and that's starting from Manchester! Too many idyllic pubs between here and Aberfeldy.
    I was intending to drive up Ribblesdale, with Ribblehead a star attraction, then across to Lunesdale and north through the Howgills and the Meaburns. Into Scotland near Harelaw, then follow the Liddel past the haunting Hermitage Castle to the Tushielaw Inn, then past Traquair and into Peebles. The A703/701 for a quick route into Embra and over the impressive new crossing; then the Trossachs and Highlands are your oyster.
    I have a chain of UA-approved hostelries dotted all over northern England and Scotland that I would be delighted to share with anyone fancying the old-fashioned Motor Touring holiday that I love.
    Excruciatingly slow, but hauntingly beautiful with delight around every corner; the big problem, with so many interesting places to pass and sights to see is doing it in only three days.
    Last edited by unclealec; 16th August 2020 at 11:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A true but humorous tale:

A man is cupping his hands and preparing to take a drink from a Highlands stream.

A local gamekeeper shouts, “dinnae go drinking that waaaater! Ets foo ae coo’s shite an pish!”

The man replies, “My dear fellow. I’m from England and invite you to repeat that in Queen’s English, please!”

The gamekeeper replies, “I said: use both hands and make sure not to spill a drop!”

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    I really do chuckle when I read about these huge and seemingly daring journeys people are going to make from down south (south of Watford gap anyway) into the great unknown and even Scotland dare I say!

All the best!

Jim
    Yeah, as you know I regularly throw my bike on the trailer and do Scottish Borders to Southampton - in one hit. It’s really easy at a steady 65mph. Edinburgh only another 40mins up the road. Last time heading north (3wks ago) was 6 and a half hours door to door. (M40/42/M6/M74)

But, Edinburgh to (say) Ullapool is a long day at the wheel if you take the scenic route (Not A9).

Most cars have tank range for 350/400miles+ so wouldn’t worry about filling up at every stop in the highlands.

Al

Master
    Another vote for the West coast it is magical in its scenery. So if you can do a two centre break this will ease the travelling. As others have said Scotland is one of the few places where you will see roadside speedtraps on motorways manned by officers. Also be particularly careful entering villages with a 30/40 after a national speed limit. We did the NC500 in 2016 and were surprised by the number of traps we came across.

Whichever route you decide have a great time and enjoy the Scottish hospitality and food.

Steve

As already mentioned - drive through the night, we had a place just outside Oban for a while, we'd set off from Sheffield around midnight, swap driving every two hours, bit of breakfast in Callander before the last leg to Oban, through the summer with the sun starting to rise around 4am the scenery is stunning, virtually traffic free - kitting up for the first dive by 11am.
    Heading north from Stirling the world just becomes a whole lot more special, eventually we'll probably settle somewhere between Mallaig and Ullapool.
    Last edited by number2; 16th August 2020 at 11:23.

Both east and west routes have their highlights and pitfalls .
    Getting to either Carlisle or Newcastle is fairly straightforward and boring and both have the potential for traffic snarl ups .
    The A1 north of Newcastle can also be pretty bad with long stretches of single track road but it does feel more like a holiday route than the M74.
    If I do the M74 route I always leave at Moffat and use the A701 to Edinburgh. It’s slightly longer than the A702 but it’s much more scenic and has plenty of good passing places. Crucially, a lot less heavy traffic uses this road.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Both east and west routes have their highlights and pitfalls .
    Getting to either Carlisle or Newcastle is fairly straightforward and boring and both have the potential for traffic snarl ups .
    The A1 north of Newcastle can also be pretty bad with long stretches of single track road but it does feel more like a holiday route than the M74.
    If I do the M74 route I always leave at Moffat and use the A701 to Edinburgh. It’s slightly longer than the A702 but it’s much more scenic and has plenty of good passing places. Crucially, a lot less heavy traffic uses this road.
    I certainly discovered that the A702 was one of those roads at night, where it could be difficult to see which way the road was going in places. Several car crashes indicated that other people found the same at bends.

A7 is pretty good, I have found.

Master
    London to Edinburgh is a walk in the park now. A1 up to the north then either carry on direct to Edinburgh on it o r take the A68 from about Darlington up to Edinburgh to see some scenery. Stop at Leeming for fuel and go to the truck cafe for food you’ll get decent food and it won’t cost you a kidney. On that route you have 2 bottle necks. Newark and the A1/M18 junctions just don’t hit either between 4and 6 pm and you’ll be fine. I do it every couple of weeks and there’s generally no problems

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It's London to Edinburgh not Paris Dakar!!!!!!
    swap every 100 miles, genuinely laughed at that.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    Morning Ryan

I'm based near M6 Jn 27, between Warrington and Preston.

I've done the Northern and Southern legs of your journey pretty much bi-weekly for over 25 years.

The BIG hot spot is Stafford (Jn 12) to Stoke (Jn 16) - even with WfH, there are daily lane closures due to driver stupidity, lorry breakdown etc.
    The incident may be on either carriageway - the other side will slow right down to take a good look - morons.

The M6 Toll will avoid Birmingham/M5 junction, but often drops you into the tail of a queue heading North up to Stafford.
    Likewise Sandbach (J 18 - 19) is frequently restricted due to accidents.

Once you are past Preston, you are very unlikely to hit any significant traffic until Hamilton, as you approach Glasgow.

If you are heading to Embra, I would recommend leaving the M74 at Abington, and heading across country on the A702 if you have an hour to spare and want a nice route.

I used to commute weekly to Linlithgow, and would stay on the M74 to join the M8 toward Embra - tedious, but the fastest route if there are no accidents.

There are motorway services every 12-15 miles - Tebay in the North Lakes is consistently an award winner for best services, but that's damning with faint praise.

Getting to Warrington is the tough part, after that it should be an easy run.

Great advice - once you're up towards the Lakes the drive is very scenic and Tebay is a nice services to stop at

With children (or even partner) involved every pit stop turns into a 30 min to 1 hr stop as they’ll want to go to the toilet, go to the shop, look around etc.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    With children (or even partner) involved every pit stop turns into a 30 min to 1 hr stop as they’ll want to go to the toilet, go to the shop, look around etc.
    At that rate, may need an overnight stay!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53742892

I really need to get my arse back up there.

Quote Originally Posted by martapart View Post
    At that rate, may need an overnight stay!!
    That has been suggested!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds brill. You should work for the respective tourist boards UA. Beer is good over here in Embra if you ever visit

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    A bit off topic, but for those whose interest is aroused by the concept......
    Bearing in mind that my car is as old as me, when I go back to my roots (my family is from Huntly) I take the diametrically opposite approach.
    The Highlands and Argyll are absolutely beautiful; my present wife literally could not believe her eyes the first time I took her there.
    So are the Borders.
    So is northern England.
    We were due to go to Aberfeldy this year, which of course got cancelled. It was going to take me three days to get there- and that's starting from Manchester! Too many idyllic pubs between here and Aberfeldy.
    I was intending to drive up Ribblesdale, with Ribblehead a star attraction, then across to Lunesdale and north through the Howgills and the Meaburns. Into Scotland near Harelaw, then follow the Liddel past the haunting Hermitage Castle to the Tushielaw Inn, then past Traquair and into Peebles. The A703/701 for a quick route into Embra and over the impressive new crossing; then the Trossachs and Highlands are your oyster.
    I have a chain of UA-approved hostelries dotted all over northern England and Scotland that I would be delighted to share with anyone fancying the old-fashioned Motor Touring holiday that I love.
    Excruciatingly slow, but hauntingly beautiful with delight around every corner; the big problem, with so many interesting places to pass and sights to see is doing it in only three days.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do indeed Al and I’m JAF

Look after yourself and maybe we’ll hook up soon

J

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Yeah, as you know I regularly throw my bike on the trailer and do Scottish Borders to Southampton - in one hit. It’s really easy at a steady 65mph. Edinburgh only another 40mins up the road. Last time heading north (3wks ago) was 6 and a half hours door to door. (M40/42/M6/M74)

But, Edinburgh to (say) Ullapool is a long day at the wheel if you take the scenic route (Not A9).

Most cars have tank range for 350/400miles+ so wouldn’t worry about filling up at every stop in the highlands.

Al

Master
    Blog Entries
    Now now young Sir SD. It’s a long way in a comfy 4x4! 😜

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Sounds brill. You should work for the respective tourist boards UA. Beer is good over here in Embra if you ever visit

Jim
    I would love to. I usually stop short, in Denholme if you know it, twixt Hawick & Jedburgh. The Auld Cross Keys may be involved.....

I used to drive a wagon all over Scotland, I particularly liked the road through Glencoe and anywhere around Pitlochry. Loch Lomond...bit boring :)

Edinburgh... take a train from Waverley a couple of stops out to North Queensferry, get down under the Rail Bridge, have a meal, or not, and get the train back.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I would love to. I usually stop short, in Denholme if you know it, twixt Hawick & Jedburgh. The Auld Cross Keys may be involved.....
    Lovely part of the world is Denholm. You have good taste.

I’m born and bred Leith/Edinburgh and the central belt is not Scotland. South and north of it is.

@Ryan
    Enjoy the time reading all this good info

Jim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Am guessing neither are big drivers then.

I regular drive from Reading to Leeds / Bradford / Manchester non stop for a 1hr meeting, then around & drive home.

Swapping every 100 miles does seem a little overkill.