closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Liverpool - Trip Suggestions

Blog Entries

Liverpool - Trip Suggestions

Heading to Liverpool for three days in early September. Not been before so looking for recommendations on things to do, good pubs and places to eat. Will be staying at Kings Dock which I believe is quite central.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    We enjoyed:

Both cathedrals, especially the modern Catholic one.
    Bus tour of the sites.
    Albert Dock
    Slavery museum
    The toilets in the Philharmonic pub (!)
    Also worth a drive up to Crosby beach.

Pete

Liverpool is a great place to visit.
    First up, download the Confidentials app for Liverpool. They have some great deals for a large number of restaurants etc.
    It’s a good city to simply walk around too. From the waterfront and up towards a Dale St /Castle St there’s a number of interesting buildings, tours, pubs etc.
    Touristy things like The Cavern and The Ferry should be on the list too.
    There’s a rooftop bar in West Africa House overlooking The Cunard Building on Water St/ The Strand as well as numerous old pubs and bars in this area.
    Cross to Birkenhead on the ferry and spend a few hours on the other side of the river.

Great city - you’ll enjoy!

Food wise there’s a few places that we like:
    What’s Cooking in the Royal Albert Dock
    The Quarter on Falkner Street (around the corner from the philharmonic hall)
    The Tavern on Smithdown Road for breakfast is top notch too (and Dafna’s Cheesecake Factory a bit further down the road is the place for cake)
    Defne Turkish BBQ is also a family favourite, I’ve not been but it’s highly recommended.

If your a Beatles fan the museum in the Albert Dock is good. And then there are hotspots like penny lane for a photo opportunity (which is round the corner from The Tavern mentioned above)

Chill in Sefton Park and go and visit the palm house for a moment of tranquility.

Few ideas there for you

You need to pay Miltons a visit! We did a walking tour of the original Liverpool dock under Liverpool One, which started at the Maritime museum and was very informative and of course entertaining. It’s a great city and I’m sure you’ll really enjoy it, good choice!

As for pubs, you can’t go too far wrong with;

The Ship & Mitre - Dale Street
    The Lion Tavern - Moorfields
    Baltic Fleet - close to Albert Dock

Given the number of lockdowns taking place in that neck of the woods, you might want to consider alternative locations - like Barrow

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Given the number of lockdowns taking place in that neck of the woods, you might want to consider alternative locations - like Barrow
    You need to work on your geography of the North-West - the affected areas of Greater Manchester and East-Lancs are 30 to 50 miles away from Liverpool.

'That neck of the woods' is an unhelpful generalisation.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Liverpool is a fantastic city...you will enjoy it!
    Good info already given. All i could add is that regards pubs/bars i found that just aimlessly wandering round without much purpose i always found a nice pub or bar to drink in.

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    You need to work on your geography of the North-West - the affected areas of Greater Manchester and East-Lancs are 30 to 50 miles away from Liverpool.

'That neck of the woods' is an unhelpful generalisation.
    Your wasting your breathe. He spends his time posting stuff he claims to know about but actually has no idea and then arguing the toss to try to prove himself correct.

Number of COVID cases 4th to 10th August in Liverpool city centre = zero

Number of cases in the whole of Liverpool conurbation = 29

With a population of around 400,000+, that makes infection rate around 7 per 100,000, much lower than the national average of around 17 to 18 per 100,000.

Source

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases

Then click on the map icon

Do some research before spouting nonsense.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 15th August 2020 at 10:36.

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. Just ignore Andy as most people tend to do. Keep the suggestions coming. Travelling down by train so will need to keep relatively close.

Check out

https://independent-liverpool.co.uk for ideas

Eat at:
    Maray (Albert Dock)
    SixbyNico

The absolute best place to eat is Roski
    http://www.roskirestaurant.com
    Lunch is good value, evening pretty spendy. It’s close to the Philharmonic Hall, and the pub with its ornate toilets

Drink
    Oh me oh my roof garden, if it’s open

The absolute best place for a drink is a hidden bar called Berry & Rye. It’s currently closed as too intimate for social distancing, but keep an eye on it

Castle Street is currently all continental style outdoor seating and you can bar hop. Once you drunk enough Gino D’Campo is convenient and decent, although it’s a chain. Castle St is also close to Restaurant Bar & Grill and Alchemist Bar opposite

It’s a great city

Dave

Last edited by helidoc; 15th August 2020 at 11:07.

Blog Entries
    Looking up the recommendations and lots of great suggestions!

Craftsman
    We visited Liverpool a few couple of years ago and had a fantastic time, great galleries and saw the Terracotta army exhibit. Also went by train and went to Tourist Info for a Real Ale Pub map, we got a local cabbie to take us to all the Beatles sites, great value in every sense! Enjoy, cheers, John B4

Journeyman
    The British Music Experience near the docks is a decent way to spend an hour or so.

https://www.britishmusicexperience.com/

The food at Mowgli is superb.

https://www.mowglistreetfood.com/

Good to see that everyone is retaining their sense of humour in these difficult times.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    There are no lockdowns in Liverpool or surrounding areas.
    Last edited by the big fella; 15th August 2020 at 15:18.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    The British Music Experience near the docks is a decent way to spend an hour or so.

https://www.britishmusicexperience.com/

The food at Mowgli is superb.

https://www.mowglistreetfood.com/

The music experience is located in the Cunard building next to the Liver buildings, your not located to far away on the kings dock, as for restaurants there are just to many these days to name one, I'd also give a shout for the Anar Turkish restaurant on Prescott Road, it's a Taxi ride from town but well worth a visit, food there is fantastic and not over priced.

Viva brazil is located on Castle street within walking distance from the kings dock food is excellent, as are the cocktails.
    but basically just look for anywhere that's busy.
    Last edited by the big fella; 15th August 2020 at 15:51.

Journeyman
    Ferry across the Mersey is a must do. Get a return ticket and just stay on until you get back to where you started.

That /\
    Defo do the ferry. I’d like to have done the Beatles Museum/Beatles Story out of nothing but curiosity, I’m not especially a fan.
    I had some excellent food and several mescal Margaritas at Salt House Tapas and breakfast at (I think) Dale Street Kitchen. I also had a very nice lunch at the London Carriage Works, but that was when my brother graduated in 2006/7 (can’t remember). I did the Malmaison Sunday stopover for a wedding anniversary a few years ago too - where you spend 50 quid in their restaurant and you get a room for 50 quid (except it used to be a 75/25 split)
    Other than that I’ve just sort of strolled around and gone in and out of pubs.

Get the bus tour from the stop at Albert dock - you’ll see the signs - it’s well
    Worth it - you’ll see so much for very little

Plenty of eateries to try in the vicinity too

It’s a nice place overall