closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Snooker

Snooker

Anyone watching it at the mo? What a match!

The last 4 safety shots are probably the best I’ve ever seen

Great match. I'm still recovering from the final frame of the first semi earlier on!

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Master
    The end of the McGill and Wilson match earlier this evening was nothing short of astounding.
    The O'Sullivan and Selby was hardly a disappointment either.
    Add those to the total humiliation of Barcelona by Bayern Munich and we have today witnessed a shed load of sporting history.

Is it all about the cue action?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

By happy chance, I watched snooker tonight for the first time in at least 10 years. It was rather good.

When Ronnie was talking about cue action, was he doing a bit of self-psychology to play down the magnitude of being in the final?

I'm sure Ronnie's been dared to say "cue action" as many times as possible. He's a genius but also a bellend.

Unbelievable last few frames. Not sure what Ronnie was going on about with his ‘cue action’ interview though?!

He can be a divisive character, but one of the greatest snooker players of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Selby wasn't happy, was he?
    Still, the final has the potential to be an absolute classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Selby wasn't happy, was he?
    Still, the final has the potential to be an absolute classic.
    I missed most of his interview, was he unhappy with some of O’Sullivans playing style in earlier frames?

Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    I missed most of his interview, was he unhappy with some of O’Sullivans playing style in earlier frames?
    'disrespectful'
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post

Yes, he called some of O’Sullivan’s escape shots ‘disrespectful’. I felt he came across as a bit of a sore loser after a classic match which was a shame IMO

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Yes, he called some of O’Sullivan’s escape shots ‘disrespectful’. I felt he came across as a bit of a sore loser after a classic match which was a shame IMO
    Didn't see that, will have to look it up...

Watched last couple of frames. Ronnie really was on fire. Saw some highlights of those hit and hope shots too... wouldn't say disrespectful, maybe inpatient, but that is ronnie for you...

Journeyman
    Haven’t watched much snooker for the last few years but watched tonight and loved it. Ronnie is just a one of those sporting geniuses that plays on a different level. Thought it was sour grapes from Selby after but must be tough giving an interview straight after a defeat like that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigputts View Post
    Haven’t watched much snooker for the last few years but watched tonight and loved it. Ronnie is just a one of those sporting geniuses that plays on a different level. Thought it was sour grapes from Selby after but must be tough giving an interview straight after a defeat like that.

Ronnie wasn't particularly on his game for a lot of the final session and lost his edge. When that happens, he tends to go through a bit of an impetuous phase and takes every shot on, even resorting to hit and hope tactics, which is what annoyed Selby. I also think there's a bit of historic needle between the two of them.

But you're right, having Rob Walker thrust a mic into your face just minutes after losing a massive game can't be an easy thing to deal with, so can't really blame Selby for venting.

Regardless, I think Ronnie in the final against an exciting new(ish) talent is good for the game. Much as I appreciate Selby's match play and sheer determination, I just don't get anywhere near as much enjoyment out of watching him play.

Should be a great final....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Ronnie wasn't particularly on his game for a lot of the final session and lost his edge. When that happens, he tends to go through a bit of an impetuous phase and takes every shot on, even resorting to hit and hope tactics, which is what annoyed Selby. I also think there's a bit of historic needle between the two of them.

But you're right, having Rob Walker thrust a mic into your face just minutes after losing a massive game can't be an easy thing to deal with, so can't really blame Selby for venting.

Regardless, I think Ronnie in the final against an exciting new(ish) talent is good for the game. Much as I appreciate Selby's match play and sheer determination, I just don't get anywhere near as much enjoyment out of watching him play.

Should be a great final....
    I personally love watching proper match players like Selby and Higgins. It's especially good when they're against an attacking player like Ronnie.

I think Selby should have been happy Ronnie went through a phase of just hit and hope shots.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan*S View Post
    I personally love watching proper match players like Selby and Higgins. It's especially good when they're against an attacking player like Ronnie.

I think Selby should have been happy Ronnie went through a phase of just hit and hope shots.
    Agreed, it’s pretty much Selby’s game to grind him down and push him to lose focus and start playing reckless shots. Seems a bit odd to then complain about it afterwards. Emotions running high though.

Perhaps Ronnie should play with one arm behind his back and standing on one leg in the final today? He showed considerable disrespect to the new generation of snooker players in his comments earlier this week. He is a genius but my appreciation of his talent and his legacy has taken a knock. I'll be hoping Kryen can win convincingly but I won't be putting any money on it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Perhaps Ronnie should play with one arm behind his back and standing on one leg in the final today? He showed considerable disrespect to the new generation of snooker players in his comments earlier this week. He is a genius but my appreciation of his talent and his legacy has taken a knock. I'll be hoping Kryen can win convincingly but I won't be putting any money on it!
    Yes those comments could certainly come back to haunt him!

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I've always been a fan of Ronnie, but, unfortunately his growing arrogant nonsense has made me dislike him deeply.

Master
    I normally take what Ronnie says with a pinch of salt. He comes out with total rubbish at times. But what a player.

Journeyman
    Ronnie has always been this way though hasn’t he, outage has followed him round as long as I can remember him playing. He does cross the line from time to time but in a world of media trained sports stars is it a bad thing to have someone that is a bit of a loose cannon. Think snooker will struggle for characters once he’s gone.

Quote Originally Posted by bigputts View Post
    Ronnie has always been this way though hasn’t he, outage has followed him round as long as I can remember him playing. He does cross the line from time to time but in a world of media trained sports stars is it a bad thing to have someone that is a bit of a loose cannon. Think snooker will struggle for characters once he’s gone.

That's true. However, I think his cynicism has reached new depths this week. He should remember that this sport made him who he is and what he had perhaps?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ronnie's Ronnie and I think all the other players know that.
    It's all about the cue action .
    His response to Selbys annoyance was classic, "If I was as good as Mark Selby, or Steve Davis or Angles McManus at getting out of snookers then I’d be able to get out and put it safe, but I haven’t got a clue"

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quality throughout the tournament has been awful and is so far in the final too. Ronnie, Higgins and Selby are IMO the only current players of true world championship quality. A few times this year I’ve thought about switching it off as the potting, break building and safety play has been shocking.

Wilson is never world champion material. Every time he has a difficult or important shot you just know he isn’t going to make it, like the pink to the top left pocket two minutes ago. The greats make those shots.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 15th August 2020 at 16:38.

What a final frame, looking forward to tonight's session.

Such a pity, Kyren was playing great until frame 1 of the final but now he looks so unreliable in the balls.

I predict Kyren wont get 10 frames on the board in this match. We will see............

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Such a pity, Kyren was playing great until frame 1 of the final but now he looks so unreliable in the balls.

I predict Kyren wont get 10 frames on the board in this match. We will see............
    I agree, it would have been nice for him to win that last frame to give him a bit of a boost

I think Ronnie’s embarrassed that he can win the World Championship playing this badly. Proves what he said a few days ago about the young players being a bit crap is true.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think Ronnie’s embarrassed that he can win the World Championship playing this badly. Proves what he said a few days ago about the young players being a bit crap is true.
    I think he was talking mainly about the lower ranked players, he talks with a fair bit of respect for Kyren.
    Kyren actually beat him 6 - 5 in the Welsh open this year but i think a combination of table conditions and Kyren being like a rabbit in the headlights today is making him look worse than he actually is.
    A casual observer would be baffled that Kyren has been top 16 for about 4 years now.

Come on Kyren

Well I didn’t see that coming! Great session from Wilson. Looking forward to tomorrow. Let’s see whether O’Sullivan fancies turning up.

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    Come on Kyren

Indeed. I'd love to see the lad win, O'Sullivan is a total pr**k. He has no sense of sportsmanship or respect, a horrid example for any young aspiring person watching.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Rubbish. All due respect.

Wilson is so far out of his depth at this level. He’s had so many chances to get a grip on the game and hasn’t taken one. If Ronnie had given this many chances to Selby or Higgins he’d be losing this.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Wilson is so far out of his depth at this level. He’s had so many chances to get a grip on the game and hasn’t taken one. If Ronnie had given this many chances to Selby or Higgins he’d be losing this.
    Yep

Well done Ronnie

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That was quick.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Yes congratulations to Ronnie, six world titles is fantastic. He’s only mid-40s so for me he needs to push on and win a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    Well done Ronnie