closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any paddle boarders out there?

Craftsman

Any paddle boarders out there?

Hi all

Interested in hearing anyone’s experiences regarding paddle boarding, looking to purchase one for using on the beach and pottering around coves. Any advice most welcome in helping to make the right purchase

Thanks in advance

I spent a couple of weeks paddle boarding in Australia, mostly on rivers but some time on the sea. I was dubious about the inflatable type boards but that feeling disappeared as soon as I was off and paddling. It was very sturdy and I’m a lump of a chap. Ideally look for a carbon paddle, to save weight and avoid arm fatigue, or at least reduce it. I think the boards we had were calm water and beach capable by fixing the fin in a different way each time but don’t hold me to that. Both boards that I used were the same length but I’ve seen boards of differing lengths when looking here. Both also came in a day sack with pump and space for the life vest and ankle strap. Don’t forget the ankle strap! Hope that helps.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    I spent a couple of weeks paddle boarding in Australia, mostly on rivers but some time on the sea. I was dubious about the inflatable type boards but that feeling disappeared as soon as I was off and paddling. It was very sturdy and I’m a lump of a chap. Ideally look for a carbon paddle, to save weight and avoid arm fatigue, or at least reduce it. I think the boards we had were calm water and beach capable by fixing the fin in a different way each time but don’t hold me to that. Both boards that I used were the same length but I’ve seen boards of differing lengths when looking here. Both also came in a day sack with pump and space for the life vest and ankle strap. Don’t forget the ankle strap! Hope that helps.
    Thanks for your experience, yes looking online the boards seem to vary quite a bit in length and widths. Guessing that is for different skill levels and types of water. Good point about the Carbon paddle, also guessing with standing rather than sitting (kayak) arms would get tired easier. At the moment was thinking a solid board as it will be stored in the caravan so easy access to the water

Timely thread for me. This week I’ve taken delivery of Decathlon’s Itiwit 11ft inflatable SUP.

I’ve hired boards a couple of times in Carbis Bay, Cornwall and enjoyed it so thought for this years trip we’d buy one and try it on a few more locations.

You can spend anywhere from £250 upwards. Mine is £350 and is low end but it well reviewed and will be fine for a week per year.

I have a couple of boards.
    I surf on a solid board, and muck about and tour on an ISUP, as the surf board needs to travel fast to be stable, and ISUPs are a little too limiting in proper surf, they just do not handle (although catching waves is a cinch).
    I bought both from Hatha, a really nice little Devon company
    They do not do solid boards any more (ISUPs only), but mine is an Eagle, which came complete with an astonishingly good carbon 2-piece paddle (they do a 3-piece version now).
    My ISUP is their Orb 10'6", which I got with a pair of 3-piece paddles for the kids to use, as well as pump bag etc
    Very stiff when properly inflated, it is really good for the money, easily equal to more expensive ISUP models from elsewhere (Red Paddle etc).
    I did a load last week in N Devon, and spent 15 mins watching a harbour porpoise patrolling off Saunton - it was within 15m, and I was the only one there, about 160m out from the break - magic.
    Dave

ps - it is not just for the beach, I use mine in Bristol harbour, on the Wye, on the Avon. Anytime I can.
    pps - the exercise is mostly in your core, not your arms. You reach out front into the water with the paddle, then get it going with a slight crunch, and a push on the top arm and pull on the lower. With practice it is not very arm tiring.
    Last edited by sweets; 12th August 2020 at 22:50.

If buying an isup... be sure to get a decent pump. A cheap pump will result in your arms being very tired... you will have great triceps though !

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    We’ve been paddleboarding for some time and love it - it’s blissfully peaceful.

The inflatables are excellent when fully inflated - we pump ours to 15psi and they are solid even with a dog on the bow and a coolbox of beer.

We bought a cheap-ish one initially (Zray 12” from Sport Pursuit). It’s fine but if/ when you improve your needs may vary.

We recently bought a second board, a Fanatic tourer at 12’6”. It’s much quicker and feels better made too.

Best thing we bought was a car pump though. It’s a bit loud but saves being puffed before you launch!

I’d say go big, there’s no harm in having too much board especially as a beginner. The compromise will be manoeuvrability but in reality it’ll still turn just fine if you do your bit. The paddle will also make a difference but I would start with whatever comes with the board. A very expensive one with a carbon blade will be upsetting when you smack a rock on a shallow bit of river (trust me!).

Also as above - it shouldn’t tire your arms. It’s driven from the core and arms really just position the paddle at the front of the board to get the pull from the hips/ core.

Your main challenge may be finding a half decent one in stock anywhere - lots of shops have been wiped out and suppliers can’t re-stock until they ship the 2021 boards. Some independent stores are saying they can’t get more boards until after Christmas.

Welcome to PM for links to the ones we have if that helps as I can’t remember the exact models.

Go for it though - it’s a great day out!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Just started this during lockdown.

I am a bit round and small so end up in the water a bit but a nice way to spend a few hours.

We bought some Quroc boards and they now seem to be in limited supply. Nice carbon paddles and sturdy boards. An electric pump arrived today as manual pumps are hard work!
    Get some gear including a buoyancy aid, 2 stand up boarders where swept out to sea last night in Galway. Luckily they where found this morning, alive!

Good fun and a great family activity.
    Last edited by Kiloman; 13th August 2020 at 14:05.

Craftsman
    Thanks guys, will spend tomorrow calling around to see availability of stock. I’m liking the idea of a solid board as could then be stored underneath the caravan and used at a minutes notice when any of the family rock up (I’m assuming it’ll be safe kept outside from rodents etc)

Daughter in law was out Wednesday (North Wales) in the kayaks paddling about and watching 3 porpoise being inquisitive, said it was an amazing experience

See what you mean about carbon paddle and rocks, maybe I’ll get some planks of wood for the kids when using. Think they’ll also need constant pep talks and careful watching so they don’t get into a similar situation blown out to sea. Nana is already on the case ordering buoyancy aids for the grandkids

Cheers all 👍

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    We’ve been paddleboarding for some time and love it - it’s blissfully peaceful.

The inflatables are excellent when fully inflated - we pump ours to 15psi and they are solid even with a dog on the bow and a coolbox of beer.

We bought a cheap-ish one initially (Zray 12” from Sport Pursuit). It’s fine but if/ when you improve your needs may vary.

We recently bought a second board, a Fanatic tourer at 12’6”. It’s much quicker and feels better made too.

Best thing we bought was a car pump though. It’s a bit loud but saves being puffed before you launch!

I’d say go big, there’s no harm in having too much board especially as a beginner. The compromise will be manoeuvrability but in reality it’ll still turn just fine if you do your bit. The paddle will also make a difference but I would start with whatever comes with the board. A very expensive one with a carbon blade will be upsetting when you smack a rock on a shallow bit of river (trust me!).

Also as above - it shouldn’t tire your arms. It’s driven from the core and arms really just position the paddle at the front of the board to get the pull from the hips/ core.

Your main challenge may be finding a half decent one in stock anywhere - lots of shops have been wiped out and suppliers can’t re-stock until they ship the 2021 boards. Some independent stores are saying they can’t get more boards until after Christmas.

Welcome to PM for links to the ones we have if that helps as I can’t remember the exact models.

Go for it though - it’s a great day out!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The girlfriend and I recently bought paddle boards, and are also based down in Dorset! Care to share any particularly nice or hidden places I need to try? So far, we mostly stick to
    Canford Magna. Went to Wareham last week, the pint afterwards was particularly refreshing!

Cheers

Josh