closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steel/Everose GMT vs Yacht-Master comparison

Craftsman

Steel/Everose GMT vs Yacht-Master comparison

I've never been a fan of two-tone watches, but like some other members of this parish, I find myself more attracted to them with age (specifically rose/red/pink rather than yellow). Approaching my 50th, I'm shocked to find I'm actually considering doing something about it...

I visited my local AD this weekend to pick up a watch that had been in for service and got talking on this topic. "We've got something you might like Sir", and out comes a 40mm Yacht-Master Steel/Everose (and an Everose on OysterFlex too, which was gorgeous, but at nearly £22k would be too hard to get past the Missus). I was very tempted and might have done something rather impulsive, but then the sales person mentioned that I should consider the GMT-II CHNR too. They didn't have one in store, but they know someone who just happens to own one and they'd be happy to let me see it. I think I'll take them up on that offer, but it'll take me a few weeks to be in a position to visit them again. In the meantime, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has hands-on experience of both watches.

Being an Explorer II owner, I'm familiar with the basic differences between SuperCase vs the more classic-cased models, but I've never handled a GMT before, so any insight / opinions would be really interesting to hear. With the EII, I've already got the GMT function covered, and the curvier YM might be the logical choice to mix the collection up a bit (and liking an underdog, the YM also ticks that box), but the CHNR looks very very nice... the AD thought that photos just didn't do it justice. I'm sure that the GMT would be the wiser option from a financial perspective, but I'm in this game for pleasure, not profit, and either watch would be a long-term keeper.

I'm just hoping that Rolex doesn't release a Steel/Everose Sub next month - that might really push me over the edge...

Having handled them both, the GMT is considerably better looking in hand. With the polished case and the finishing on the bezel, the YM is in my opinion a seriously blingly watch - where as with the Root Beer bezel the rose gold on the GMT just works. Clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but I wouldn't open your wallet before you've seen the GMT - I'd have one in a second and I say that as someone who generally hates two tone and even more so rose gold two tone

What about the rose gold on oysterflex used? Would be a few grand off at least.

I haven't seen the two tone YM in person, only AD's windows, but I did see the CHNR on a guy in Tesco a few weeks ago and it was quite loud. Much louder than I expected.

Would you consider consolidating to get it on oysterflex?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What about the rose gold on oysterflex used? Would be a few grand off at least.

I haven't seen the two tone YM in person, only AD's windows, but I did see the CHNR on a guy in Tesco a few weeks ago and it was quite loud. Much louder than I expected.

Would you consider consolidating to get it on oysterflex?
    I'd very much like the OysterFlex version of the YM, but even used it'd be a bit of a stretch at £18k+. I think the 37mm version goes for quite a bit less, and actually my dainty wrists would probably be okay with that. I gather the rubber "bracelet" costs about £200 a side and I'd probably have to factor that into the overall purchase, as I don't think there's a lot of adjustment possible.

Here's the 40mm I tried:

Regarding "Bling", I know what you mean. I was however surprised how muted the case looked under the lights of the showroom - maybe my eyesight isn't what it was, but initially I thought it was the white gold version.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcamb330 View Post
    Here's the 40mm I tried:
    I wonder if the ADs are pushing these hard? I also got to try one on at WoS. It's not for me, but I liked it more than I thought. I also tried on the 37mm platinum version, which is marketed as a ladies watch, but was a good fit for my skinny wrists. I thought it was relatively subdued, well as subdued as platinum can be.

Blog Entries
    I’m fortunate to have owned the Everose Gold / Steel YM 40mm and currently own the CHNR Everose GMT with the newer 3235 movement. Both were as accurate, though I actually had to get Rolex St James to adjust my CHNR as it was running A bit out of Rolex specification accuracy range - which was done while I waited and it runs fine now.

Comparison:
    I noticed is the watch faces look almost identical - save for the red writing on the YM and the Roselor GMT writing on the GMT face. The YM I had, had the black face rather than the chocolate dark brown I have seen on other rose gold YM. The bracelets seemed identical on both. Both clasps have the easy-link fitting which proves very useful for the hot weather.

Differences:
    The YM case is more ‘refined’ being mostly highly polished and curved, the GMT is the more modern ‘broad shouldered’ case shape you either like or don’t. The GMT appears maybe a little larger but both have a book size of 40mm. Of course the GMT has the additional GMT functionality with rotating 24h bezel and extra GMT hand. The YM has the gold formed bi-directional bezel with timing values.

I do covet the YM on Oysterflex though. (On the wish list)

. Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 13th August 2020 at 21:35.

Master

Steel/Everose GMT vs Yacht-Master comparison

Steel is good, gold can be even better, but mix the two and it doesn’t work; not to my eyes anyway. The best solution I know is to buy in white gold. That way you don’t draw attention, but you get the private pleasure.
    Yes, it’s expensive, but might hold value better than a two-tone.
    There again, you can’t beat plain and simple steel for value.
    Last edited by paskinner; 13th August 2020 at 21:49.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone for your comments and thanks especially to Martyn for the in-depth reply plus some great photos.

Hi Martyn, I'm guessing the YM made way for the GMT, and even though the watches seem to have a number of similarities, I wondered if there was anything you missed about YM ownership. I do like the refined shape of the YM case, and the matt black dial with the gilt and red text looks great IMO. But the GMT is a stone-cold classic, and that black/brown bezel appears to be something to behold.

Talking bezels, the bi-directional YM bezel action seemed to be quite nice (not as satisfing as a uni-directional Sub, but pretty good). Does the GMT have a similar action?

Thanks

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mlcamb330 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your comments and thanks especially to Martyn for the in-depth reply plus some great photos.

Talking bezels, the bi-directional YM bezel action seemed to be quite nice (not as satisfing as a uni-directional Sub, but pretty good). Does the GMT have a similar action?

Thanks

Martin
    The GMT bezel is bi-directional, moving in one hour increments only.