closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the next dive watch on my 'flipping' journey to a Rolex Submariner?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Just from that one pic I can tell your watch is genuine .
    The fake quartz Hydroconquests are usually 39mm for some reason
    Good to know **thumbs up**

What I would like to know at the end is how many of the watches you flip along the way you’ll regret flipping and wish you had kept once the Rolex is on your wrist. In my experience it will be quite a few.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    Good to know **thumbs up**
    Yours is a really good one 👍
    If you have a look on the Ebay scam section at the last post I put up with 2 Ebay pics you'll spot the difference straight away.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    What I would like to know at the end is how many of the watches you flip along the way you’ll regret flipping and wish you had kept once the Rolex is on your wrist. In my experience it will be quite a few.
    You're absolutely right.

So far I've already fallen in love with the Citizen Promaster and the Zelos Marlin. I think I'm gonna fall in love with quite a few more LOL.

Yours is a really good one 
    If you have a look on the Ebay scam section at the last post I put up with 2 Ebay pics you'll spot the difference straight away.
    Thanks for your work in spotting this kind of stuff and bringing it to the forum's attention.

Master
    [/QUOTE]
    Thanks for your work in spotting this kind of stuff and bringing it to the forum's attention.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome.
    I should have had a good luck on here before I bought from Ebay.
    The fake I ended up with was slightly more expensive than yours.
    Lesson learned

Master
    Thanks for that. I'll take a look. What's the model number for the MM200, just to make sure I'm looking at the right one. I find the Seiko dive watch catalogue very confusing =)
    Just to make it more confusing there are two refs for identical watches, JDM and the rest of the world. The standard versions are the SBDC061/SPB077 for black bezel on bracelet and SBDC063/SPB079 for blue bezel on rubber. There are also LE versions with green or blue dials which could be worth looking at. Expect to pay £500-600 for one with a strap and £550-650 with bracelet s/h.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Just to make it more confusing there are two refs for identical watches, JDM and the rest of the world. The standard versions are the SBDC061/SPB077 for black bezel on bracelet and SBDC063/SPB079 for blue bezel on rubber. There are also LE versions with green or blue dials which could be worth looking at. Expect to pay £500-600 for one with a strap and £550-650 with bracelet s/h.
    Thanks for bringing a little light to the confusing world of Seiko references =)

Craftsman
    Okay...

...I love dive watches and just for fun, I've decided to try and 'flip' my way to a Rolex Submariner Date 116613LB.

Hey, what can I say? I enjoy a challenge :)

Here's my plan...

1. I buy a watch
    2. Take some video of it whilst I go snorkelling
    3. Post the video on YT
    4. Sell the watch
    5. Add some cash
    6. Repeat from step 1

And keep going until I get the Rolex.

I started with a Casio MDV106-1A Dura 'Marlin' and flipped it for an Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (Bought for £65)

Then (where --> means 'flipped)

• Invicta Pro Diver (sold for £66) --> Citizen Pro Master Eco Drive BN0151-17L (Bought new for £164)
    • Citizen Pro Master (Sold for £110) --> Seiko SKX007 J (Bought for £150)
    • Seiko SKX007 (sold for £293!) --> ????

So...

I've got a budget of £450 for my next dive watch.

My question is, what's the most popular dive watch in this price range?

Not the best...

...The most popular.

You see, personally, I think the Citizen Pro Master is a much better watch than the Seiko but the price I sold the Seiko for proves it's the more popular watch.

It was a very easy flip.

So...

...I'm thinking my next purchase could be a second hand Longines Hydroconquest or CWC RN Quartz MK1 RN300-MQM60.

From researching eBay's sold listings I reckon I could pick either one up for £400 to £450 second hand.

My main aim is to avoid taking a hammering when I sell the watch.

So what would you get next?

Bonus Question...

How would you flip your way from a Casio Dura to a Rolex Submariner Date 116613LB?

Thanks for playing along :)
    Is this the WIS version of the guy who swapped a paper clip for a house?!

Journeyman
    This is like a

How many trans Atlantic flights do I have to take before I can get to the moon?

You can buy any number of Cheap watches but to get a Submariner you have to try your luck on the open market and risk getting a watch that is Cheaper than your invicta.... Or get on a AD list and your journey in dive watches will count for zero...... 😄

I would perhaps say a Tag Aquaracer. You should be able to get a WAY2110 or a WBD2113

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    I would perhaps say a Tag Aquaracer. You should be able to get a WAY2110 or a WBD2113
    Thanks for this. Really helpful to have the Codes.

I'll take a look **Thumbs up**

Craftsman
    Okay...

Just sold my Longines Hydroconquest and Zelos Swordfish on the bay...

...I took a £29 hit on the Zelos, but a £48 win on the Longines = £19 up LOL!

So now I've got I've got £779, plus how ever much I can scrape together to put towards the next watch.

I'm currently favouring:

• Seiko SPB079
    • Seiko Prospex SPB147J1
    • Seiko SPB143
    • Oris Aquis
    • Oris 65
    • Tag Heuer aqua racer

Should be fun trying to avoid getting scammed on the bay.

Think I might wait until I've got my 50 posts and check out the SC on this forum.

The Journey so far...

(where --> means 'flipped)

1. Casio MDV106-1A Dura 'Marlin' and flipped it for an Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (Bought for £65)
    2. Invicta Pro Diver (sold for £66) --> Citizen Pro Master Eco Drive BN0151-17L (Bought new for £164)
    3. Citizen Pro Master (Sold for £110) --> Seiko SKX007 J (Bought for £150)
    4. Seiko SKX007 (sold for £293!) --> Longines Hydroconquest (bought for £460) + Zelos Swordfish (bought for £301 (includes import tax and duty)
    5. Longines (sold for £508) + Zelos (sold for £271) --> ????

Think I might wait until I've got my 50 posts and check out the SC on this forum.

Dealers and profiteers aren’t too popular on SC. Probably best just to stick to ebay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Dealers and profiteers aren’t too popular on SC. Probably best just to stick to ebay.
    Despite all the howling from the diehards, there are lots of dealers and profiteers on SC. All they do is thank Eddie for the facility and that's the end of it.

If someone buys it, happy buyer and happy seller and annoyed diehard. This is the new way, live with it.

Master
    According to Tag Heuer experts and that doesnt include me even though I've got one, there are more fake Aquaracers around than Hydroconquests on the bay.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Pay the 10% into the fund and dealers profiteers are allowed. But yes - not popular if known about.

Anyway OP - I applaud your efforts.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th October 2020 at 07:51.

You've had a Seiko, why not try an Oris?

Sent from my XQ-AU51 using Tapatalk

As I said above, I really like what you’re doing. It’s like an accelerated journey through watch collecting and flipping and a nice way to document it. I suppose it would be nice to see what you would choose, rather than the forum as it’s always great to see someone else’s tastes reflected in the watches they own.

I’ve never made a profit on any watch I’ve bought and later sold but good luck to you. It sounds like you’re already doing much better than I ever did.

The SPB079 can be had much cheaper than the 700 odd quid that you have to spend and the SPB143/7 are hard to find at a good price as they’re very popular now. I’d go for an Oris as it’s different to what you had before and there are loads around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    According to Tag Heuer experts and that doesnt include me even though I've got one, there are more fake Aquaracers around than Hydroconquests on the bay.
    Thanks for the heads up on this one. Might be worth paying a little extra and buying from a reputable dealer instead of off the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Pay the 10% into the fund and dealers profiteers are allowed. But yes - not popular if known about.

Anyway OP - I applaud your efforts.
    Thanks. I've seen a couple of dealer/profiteer comments on this thread. I'm not sure if they refer to me or not? Surely not? I'm a relationship therapist who's seeking to have some fun getting watches he loves and then flipping them to get to his grail watch.

Does that make me a dealer/profiteer?

Weird....

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    You've had a Seiko, why not try an Oris?
    Good point, well made. Very tempting =)

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    As I said above, I really like what you’re doing. It’s like an accelerated journey through watch collecting and flipping and a nice way to document it. I suppose it would be nice to see what you would choose, rather than the forum as it’s always great to see someone else’s tastes reflected in the watches they own.

I’ve never made a profit on any watch I’ve bought and later sold but good luck to you. It sounds like you’re already doing much better than I ever did.

The SPB079 can be had much cheaper than the 700 odd quid that you have to spend and the SPB143/7 are hard to find at a good price as they’re very popular now. I’d go for an Oris as it’s different to what you had before and there are loads around.
    Thank you for your thoughts, with regards the SPB143/7 I've noticed the same thing. I'm tempted to save a little longer and go for an Oris Sixty Five. Plus the snorkeling season is kinda over for me until next year. Unless we have some nice weather later on in the year.

We'll see.

...<snip>I've seen a couple of dealer/profiteer comments on this thread. I'm not sure if they refer to me or not? Surely not? I'm a relationship therapist who's seeking to have some fun getting watches he loves and then flipping them to get to his grail watch.

Does that make me a dealer/profiteer?<snip>...
    You're buying to sell on, hopefully at a profit. You've no intention of keeping what you're buying because you have a target. You're buying stock to deal in, whatever you think (or someone else recommends) will make a buck or two for you.

Quite simply, you're a dealer.
    ______

​Jim.

Is it just me or does everyone who might make a profit on a watch get flamed to death and accused of being a dealer on here.

The kid's made a full and credited disclosure of what he's doing and the reason why. He's not looking to get rich quick off anyone so I honestly don't see what harm he's doing.

As he's already stated if he makes a profit fine but if he dosn't it does not bother him. It's just a fun thing for him to see if he can get to his final goal.
    I really can't see what harm he is causing anyone.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by sickie; 6th October 2020 at 17:25.

Apologies if I'm taking us slightly off topic but I'm really rather liking/slightly obsessed with the current Omega SMP 300m and I'd like to suggest it as the final watch you get before you reach the Submariner.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Quite simply, you're a dealer.
    No he's not. Not in the sense I think Eddie originally intended to give a warning to dealers. Give the guy a break. He's just trying to scrape the funds together to get the watch of his dreams.

Fair play to you OP. Better to do it this way than get the weight of debt around your neck.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    No he's not. Not in the sense I think Eddie originally intended to give a warning to dealers. Give the guy a break. He's just trying to scrape the funds together to get the watch of his dreams. Fair play to you OP. Better to do it this way than get the weight of debt around your neck.
    Thanks, blimey, I came here to have some fun and share my enthusiasm for watches, not to start trouble =)

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Is it just me or does everyone who might make a profit on a watch get flamed to death and accused of being a dealer on here. The kid's made a full and credited disclosure of what he's doing and the reason why. He's not looking to get rich quick off anyone so I honestly don't see what harm he's doing. As he's already stated if he makes a profit fine but if he dosn't it does not bother him. It's just a fun thing for him to see if he can get to his final goal. I really can't see what harm he is causing anyone.
    Thank you.

I really couldn't have put it better myself.

If I break even I'm happy, my main aim is to avoid picking up a fake - and that's why I'm keen to gain access to the Sales Corner, no other reason.

Anyway...

=)

Craftsman
    A great little story and I watch with interest . For me the OP is ' dealing ' in watches but not a ' dealer '. Yes that doesn't make sense but its the end cause that's making it ok for me.
    I did it with houses until I got enough bedrooms for the kids !

Master
    It may not be as much fun, but the best method is simply to save-up and then buy . The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.
    Still, if you get on SC, you will make some good friends over time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Is it just me or does everyone who might make a profit on a watch get flamed to death and accused of being a dealer on here.

The kid's made a full and credited disclosure of what he's doing and the reason why. He's not looking to get rich quick off anyone so I honestly don't see what harm he's doing.

As he's already stated if he makes a profit fine but if he dosn't it does not bother him. It's just a fun thing for him to see if he can get to his final goal.
    I really can't see what harm he is causing anyone.
    I recently purchased this Tuna from Sales Corner - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...f-SBBN037-SOLD

Looking on other forums, eBay etc it was probably priced about £150-£200 below market value. It would have been ideal for the OP - a quick flip and good profit. When I come to sell it, it’ll be going back on Sales Corner for about the same price and hopefully another forum member will get the chance to try it out for a good price. I wouldn’t sell to the OP though, knowing that it would be going straight on eBay for a profit. Sales Corner becomes a much poorer place otherwise.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I recently purchased this Tuna from Sales Corner - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...f-SBBN037-SOLD

Looking on other forums, eBay etc it was probably priced about £150-£200 below market value. It would have been ideal for the OP - a quick flip and good profit. When I come to sell it, it’ll be going back on Sales Corner for about the same price and hopefully another forum member will get the chance to try it out for a good price. I wouldn’t sell to the OP though, knowing that it would be going straight on eBay for a profit. Sales Corner becomes a much poorer place otherwise.
    You've got me wrong.

I only sell on the bay because I can't sell here.

My aim isn't to turn a profit (though I don't see that as a bad thing), I'm only interested in sampling as many of my favourite dive watches as possible without getting scammed by buying a fake.

I'd also like to make it clear I'm all for community and for passing on the benefits of the community to those in it.

That's why I've come here as often as I can, contributed to other threads where appropriate and tried to be a good forum member.

So I can gain access to the SC.

Sell to me in the future / don't sell to me in the future...

That's up to you.

But I do want everyone to be clear I only use eBay because I can (currently) only use eBay.

And as the watches I'm looking at increase in cost, I'll be looking to other places like Chrono24 - because I'd like to think there are fewer fakes on there - and less chance of getting scammed.

Sure, I might pay more, but I don't mind paying a bit more for the added peace of mind.

Have a lovely day everyone.

Marcus

You said earlier ‘The plan is to keep them for as short a time as possible’.

If you are flipping in a matter of days it really doesn’t seem worth it. You are not going to get much experience with each watch, and you are not going to make any money (on SC), all the while incurring costs.

You are understandably concerned about buying fakes but you don’t seem to be concerned about the other risks that could erode your watch pot, which are all increased by flipping so often - your watch could get lost or damaged in transit, need an expensive repair in your ownership etc.

You’d be much better off just saving for a Sub. Flip fun watches on the side if you want, but keep that money separate from your Sub savings.

You said earlier ‘The plan is to keep them for as short a time as possible’.

If you are flipping in a matter of days it really doesn’t seem worth it. You are not going to get much experience with each watch, and you are not going to make any money (on SC), all the while incurring costs.

You are understandably concerned about buying fakes but you don’t seem to be concerned about the other risks that could erode your watch pot, which are all increased by flipping so often - your watch could get lost or damaged in transit, need an expensive repair in your ownership etc.

You’d be much better off just saving for a Sub. Flip fun watches on the side if you want, but keep that money separate from your Sub savings.
    All of the above, I think - OP, flipping your way to a Sub implies selling each watch for more than you paid. Aside from the risks that vortgern sets out, there's also the risk that you fall in love with something and decide to keep it, thus wiping out your progress that far. Much better to set up a "flip fund" and use that to try loads of interesting things, and save for the big purchase separately.

On SC, as benny.c noted, a lot of folks sell there with an interest in their watches staying on the forum. Some people won't care what you plan to do with a watch after you buy it, but others will...