closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strange question but my mind needs an answer..

Strange question but my mind needs an answer..

Weird question but my mind is struggling in this heat to get an answer..

The question - Is the air in your watch sealed in from either the company who made it or the last person to service it, or can the atmosphere get past seals and gaskets?

I ask as for example certain Rolex that have the most attractive lume like Submariners, GMT’s, Seadwellers apparently come from the most humid counties in Asia/South America, so going by this the humid atmosphere must enter the watch but surely water would be able to penetrate at a certain depth and it’s under more pressure than the atmosphere?

As I said, I might have a touch of heatstroke and the answer may be obvious, I’ll leave it to you TZ members to put me straight..

Watch gaskets are permeable to gases (including water vapour) to various degrees. A watch used in a humid climate may well contain significant water vapour. Can be seen to condense sometimes if watch is cooled.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Watch gaskets are permeable to gases (including water vapour) to various degrees. A watch used in a humid climate may well contain significant water vapour. Can be seen to condense sometimes if watch is cooled.
    This. Water in vapour form (along with other gases) can pass through holes/pores/materials that are impervious to liquid water. In liquid form there are weak attractive forces between the water molecules that cause them to clump together. As a gas the water molecules travel "solo" and are free to pass through much smaller holes. This is used to good effect to create breathable waterproof materials. So yes, the gases inside a sealed watch will gradually migrate in and out, including water vapour.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I like to think this submarine watch with a tourbillon is impervious to everything. Probably not, but I like to think it since finding it a few minutes ago

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/thomas-...o-sub-watch/2/