closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wifi peephole camera - recommendation

Apprentice

Wifi peephole camera - recommendation

Can anyone recommend a wifi enabled door peephole camera, where I can view the video on my mobile phone? I'm not interested in a camera doorbell.

My front door is up some steps and in an alcove. Putting a security camera in the alcove would mean it could easily get ripped off the wall by thugs, and putting one on the main wall would mean I won't be able to see who was at the door.

No recommendations, but if images are captured beyond your boundary you will need to comply with GDPR.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters...le-using-cctv/
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    No recommendations, but if images are captured beyond your boundary you will need to comply with GDPR.

Doubt anyone with a dashcam worries about GDPR.

Craftsman

Just like lots of other regulations, is anyone monitoring and enforcing. Doubt it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Just like lots of other regulations, is anyone monitoring and enforcing. Doubt it.
    I don’t understand why it’s subject to any GDPR regs. I can wander round the streets in my local town and take pictures of anyone. All perfectly legal and don’t have to explain my reasons for doing so. Why is a CCTV on my house any different?

Blog Entries
    Very interested too, there was one from Yale but not wifi enabled and hardwired. Battery + wifi would be great.

The first company to invent cheap reliable small wifi CCTV cameras will make a fortune.

No one starts an install project hoping to have mains-powered cameras, drill holes in walls and run wires through their roofspace and all over the house.
    Last edited by Tony; 12th August 2020 at 15:37.

Master

Are you sure? My understanding is that GDPR does not apply to individuals.

Blog Entries
    There is a company that comes frequently up, called Brinno. They do something that is not a doorbell, but just a peephole with knock detector. But do not know anybody who has installed it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

TBH the ICO can't keep up with the regulated companies not complying with GDPR, let alone every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a Ring doorbell.

I'd be wary about posting any footage of the Yodel delivery guy chucking your stuff onto the roof onto social media, but I can't see any other way that you could realistically be 'done' for having CCTV installed on your property.

Have you seen this ?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-Spy-Se.../dp/B07S83628D
    Last edited by amnesia; 12th August 2020 at 15:53.

Master
    Does CCTV really work, it only takes a mask to negate any benefits it gives and with COVID most people have those now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Are you sure? My understanding is that GDPR does not apply to individuals.
    It's all in the linked ICO article. If the recorded images extend beyond your property boundary then GDPR applies. I appreciate that it is unlikely to be monitored or enforced but it is easy enough to comply, so why not.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I'd be wary about posting any footage of the Yodel delivery guy chucking your stuff onto the roof onto social media, but I can't see any other way that you could realistically be 'done' for having CCTV installed on your property.
    Yes, this is the most likely scenario for legal action - individuals can pursue court claims for compensation if their personal data is compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Does CCTV really work, it only takes a mask to negate any benefits it gives and with COVID most people have those now!
    That's what I can't understand about the conspiracy theories attached to the mask rules.
    Governments and corporations have been trying to increase the surveillance of us for years, and now we're being told to walk around incognito. If masks are a capitalist plot to control us, it's not a very effective one.

In OP’s case, then he probably wouldn’t open the door.

I know you don't want a doorbell but Ring will replace for free if stolen.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/ar...vice-is-Stolen

Apprentice
    Thanks for the comments and recommendations so far.

I don't think GDPR would be an issue. I wouldn't keep any video data forever, and I'm not there to spy and record everyone who walks past on the main road.

I know Ring has a free replacement policy, but I'd have to spend an awful lot of money for the Ring doorbell and two replacement chimes. Each Ring chime costs £30. I've got a wireless doorbell system at the moment which I'm perfectly happy with which cost about half the price of a single Ring chime. I want to see who's at my front door without me having to go downstairs and alerting the person at the door that I'm in the house. I've had quite a few people at my door in the late evening when we were all supposed to be locked down. One person rang just before midnight.

Do you mean something like the Ring Door View Cam?

Not a doorbell, but let’s you do the equivalent of pressing your eye up against the peephole from your phone or Alexa device with a screen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonJade View Post
    Thanks for the comments and recommendations so far.

I don't think GDPR would be an issue. I wouldn't keep any video data forever, and I'm not there to spy and record everyone who walks past on the main road.

I know Ring has a free replacement policy, but I'd have to spend an awful lot of money for the Ring doorbell and two replacement chimes. Each Ring chime costs £30. I've got a wireless doorbell system at the moment which I'm perfectly happy with which cost about half the price of a single Ring chime. I want to see who's at my front door without me having to go downstairs and alerting the person at the door that I'm in the house. I've had quite a few people at my door in the late evening when we were all supposed to be locked down. One person rang just before midnight.
    Is it cold callers or antisocial behaviour. I’ve put a sticker next to the bell noting no cold callers and it’s stopped 95%

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Do you mean something like the Ring Door View Cam?

Not a doorbell, but let’s you do the equivalent of pressing your eye up against the peephole from your phone or Alexa device with a screen.
    Yes, exactly. I'm essentially after a video camera where I can view the feed using my mobile, and can place the camera on the door/ install it where a peephole would be. I though peephole would be good as if it was just stuck to the door it would easily get nicked. If I hear the doorbell ring, then I can open the app to view the feed. I'm not interested in video doorbells as I'm home most of the time, hardly anyone ever comes to the door, and if they do I know it's a delivery person beforehand.

Apprentice
    Is it cold callers or antisocial behaviour. I’ve put a sticker next to the bell noting no cold callers and it’s stopped 95%
    If it's daytime I know it'll be a delivery 95% of the time, religious people 4% of the time, and others 1% of the time.
    If it's evening I won't answer the door, especially if it's gone 9pm.

Thankfully, I've not had anyone try to sell me fish or mattresses, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonJade View Post
    Yes, exactly. I'm essentially after a video camera where I can view the feed using my mobile, and can place the camera on the door/ install it where a peephole would be. I though peephole would be good as if it was just stuck to the door it would easily get nicked. If I hear the doorbell ring, then I can open the app to view the feed. I'm not interested in video doorbells as I'm home most of the time, hardly anyone ever comes to the door, and if they do I know it's a delivery person beforehand.
    Definitely check out the Ring option then. If storing video isn’t of interest you don’t have to pay for their monthly subscription service, so it is exactly what you’re after.

The app is decent, the video quality is good, audio is good enough, battery life is OK but I would recommend a second battery for convenience (straight swap when needed avoiding downtime).

Master

These “guidelines” are more about discouraging unsavoury uses of cctv .

You can capture record and keep footage of anyone or anything on your own property or visible from your own property even if its on someone else's property . You do not need permission and you are not committing any offence.

You can also of course Capture and record anyone in a public space without asking or requiring permission or even explaining yourself. Your footage and images are entirely yours , you do not need anyone’s clearance or permission to use the footage.

If you are on private property and the owner doesn't grant you permission to film then you have to stop filming but they cannot confiscate any material you managed to shoot . Even if you continue shooting they cannot confiscate or destroy your footage. They can only remove you from the premises If you refuse then the rozzers can get involved , again nobody ( including the police) can destroy any footage you take.

Master
    Yes, this is the most likely scenario for legal action - individuals can pursue court claims for compensation if their personal data is compromised.
    Any imagery you take is your personal data . If you disseminated footage of someone in a compromising position for example , the most they could do would be to try to prove to a court that they had undiky suffered as a resukt ; financial , reputation or their human rights were violated . If it was because of something they had been recorded doing unless it was very extreme circumstances ( hidden cameras in changing rooms or toilets for example) I doubt it would even make it to court.

For example lets say your next door neighbour is captured sunbathing naked by your cctv by accident . If you put the footage online they would have a hard time stopping you or taking you to court.

Likewise if you shot somebody who was on private property from public property.

If you shot them from their property without permission and you subsequently used the footage then you could be in trouble but again the “victim” would have to prove they had suffered a measurable loss as a direct result. The footage would still belong to the person who took it.

Master
    “”The Information Commissioner's Office told the BBC: "Lots of people use domestic CCTV and video doorbells. If you own one, you should respect people's privacy rights and take steps to minimise intrusion to neighbours and passers-by."
    But it added: "In the vast number of cases, there are no issues."

This is a “doctor” could have been patient confidentiality issues.

Sounds like there was deeper history here and it took years to reach a conclusion . I don’t think anyone else with a cctv camera need worry ,
    Last edited by Mr.D; 14th October 2021 at 21:09.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58911296

"Personal data may be captured from people who are not even aware that the device is there, or that it records and processes audio and personal data," she said in her judgement.

That, she said, was in breach of UK data laws - both the UK Data Protection Act and UK GDPR.

I suspect your right regarding the suspected nature of the ‘issue’….to be Audio …

Its quite remarkable just how much sound these new doorbell cameras can pick up and the range….

Very easy to edit field of vision on ‘ring’ doorbell camera and add ‘blackout zones’ to avoid recording others property…..audio much harder to edit / manage..

You would think pre ‘litigation’ …an opportunity to rectify in the form of warning letters, arbitration or ‘cease and desist’ action first?..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    “”The Information Commissioner's Office told the BBC: "Lots of people use domestic CCTV and video doorbells. If you own one, you should respect people's privacy rights and take steps to minimise intrusion to neighbours and passers-by."
    But it added: "In the vast number of cases, there are no issues."

This is a “doctor” could have been patient confidentiality issues.

Sounds like there was deeper history here and it took years to reach a conclusion . I don’t think anyone else with a cctv camera need worry ,
    Basically the guy was a nut with one camera pointing into her garden and recording sound for upto 68 feet.