closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Seamaster Hour Marker Lume Woes

Craftsman

Omega Seamaster Hour Marker Lume Woes

I’m after a little advice please boys & girls. My Omega Seamaster 2537.80.00 has ejected it’s Super-LumiNova filling from the 4 o’clock hour marker (the marker itself is still in place). I only noticed this morning when I saw the filling had jammed itself between the second & hour hand stopping the watch. I have managed to dislodge the filling and the watch still runs fine. It has not been dropped or had any abuse.

Anyway, the watch is nearly 19 years old which I bought new from an official Omega dealer and has been back with Omega for a service once in that time – maybe 8 years ago. The watch has always been faultless and I like it as much today as I did back then.

My question is, should I be as miffed with Omega as I am that this has happened? I fully appreciate that the watch is approaching 2 decades old and I also fully appreciate that mechanical items within the movement etc are subject to wear & tear which will need attention over the years – hence the requirement for servicing. But, in my opinion, this filling is not subjected to anything much and should never fail in this way.

So, should I get in touch with Omega and see what they have to say about it? Will they just brush me off? Or, should I just suck it up, think myself lucky that this hasn’t happened earlier and just get it repaired?

If it’s the latter, can you recommend anywhere/anyone trustworthy who would do a proper job (I’d no doubt get it serviced at the same time).

Many thanks for any advice & insight you can give – it’s much appreciated.

I’ll post up a photo later when I can - if you're interested.

Grand Master
    Is it just the lume filling or the whole marker ( including surround) that’s come away? If its the whole marker it can be re- attached but if its just the lume I’d be less hopeful. Possibly the marker could be relumed to match but getting an exact match would be a challenge. Picture would definitely help.

As for getting goodwill from Omega on a 19 year old watch?.......no chance in my opinion. They may offer to sell and fit a new dial.

Its unusual for this to happen, I’ve seen batons become detached on older watches but even that’s quite rare.

Craftsman
    I’m afraid the marker is still in place. This sounds like it’s going be expensive - I hadn’t thought about colour matching. Picture now here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would send the watch to one of the known watch makers here and ask if they can arrange a relume on the marker.
    Most watch makers will be able to do it or will know someone who can.
    No need to send this to Omega as they will just take your trousers down.

I would have thought that could be placed back in, provided it survives the journey.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Can't Q fix it?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    Strange, very strange! Never seen anything like it before. It looks like the lume could be carefully re- attached, failing that the spot could be relumed to match the rest but it would almost certainly stand out in the dark even if it matched reasonably well in daylight.

Another way forward is to have the whole dial relumed, that gets around the problem of lume not matching. This isn’t something I could do with confidence, reluming dials isn’t my speciality.

Be sure to pull the crown out and stop the hands turning, for obvious reasons.

Limited Edition dial at 10,007 pieces. Would Omega have a spare dial or just completely relume it as the only alternative?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Strange, very strange! Never seen anything like it before. It looks like the lume could be carefully re- attached, failing that the spot could be relumed to match the rest but it would almost certainly stand out in the dark even if it matched reasonably well in daylight.

Another way forward is to have the whole dial relumed, that gets around the problem of lume not matching. This isn’t something I could do with confidence, reluming dials isn’t my speciality.

Be sure to pull the crown out and stop the hands turning, for obvious reasons.
    Thanks for all of your replies so far.

The most annoying thing is that I feel the part has failed with the actual marker still being in place - an old part I know, but a part that doesn’t move or wear and IMO just shouldn’t happen.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Limited Edition dial at 10,007 pieces. Would Omega have a spare dial or just completely relume it as the only alternative?
    This is a good point - a new dial might not even be possible regardless of the cost.

Master
    I've heard of that happening on one of those after a water ingress. Only slight condensation, rest of watch was easily sorted, then a few months later several lume dots fell out. Repairer managed to carefully stick them all back with that stuff that's like blutac but stronger. I forget it's name. Used by jewelers to pick dust out of stuff. Anyway, I believe it worked at the time but no idea if it worked long term

Craftsman
    Thanks again. I’m as certain as I possibly can be that there has been no water ingress.

I’m going to make a couple of enquiries & consider my options. You might think I’m nuts given the age of the watch, but I’m really p’d off about this...

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    I've heard of that happening on one of those after a water ingress. Only slight condensation, rest of watch was easily sorted, then a few months later several lume dots fell out. Repairer managed to carefully stick them all back with that stuff that's like blutac but stronger. I forget it's name. Used by jewelers to pick dust out of stuff. Anyway, I believe it worked at the time but no idea if it worked long term
    Rodico.
    But I wouldn’t have used that to stick a lume plot back on. A tiny spec of glue would do it.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Rodico, thank you. I'm glad someone understood from my iffy description!

I'm sure there are glues that would work, but need to know it won't affect dial through off gassing maybe?

I think you are expecting too much from a 20-year old watch. They will pick up issues and if it's only had one service in it's lifetime, you can't be certain that over the years a seal hasn't allowed some moisture in that has effected the dial.

To avoid the "it needs a new dial" service from Omega, I'd be looking to see if an independent can service it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I think you are expecting too much from a 20-year old watch. They will pick up issues and if it's only had one service in it's lifetime, you can't be certain that over the years a seal hasn't allowed some moisture in that has effected the dial.

To avoid the "it needs a new dial" service from Omega, I'd be looking to see if an independent can service it.
    Correct

Just to bring this thread up to date - you were all absolutely correct and I was also definitely asking too much of an 18 year old watch. Omega have said that the watch will simply require a new dial which will be chargeable due to 9 years having passed since its last service. They will give me a small discount on the dial as a gesture of goodwill, so I have a decision to make.

Thanks again for the advice given - it is much appreciated.

Craftsman
    I've had similar happen
    I dropped the tiniest amount of crystal cement (because the applicator is so fine) in the marker surround and used some tweezers to place the lume pip back.
    It's still in place today.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    Correct

Just to bring this thread up to date - you were all absolutely correct and I was also definitely asking too much of an 18 year old watch. Omega have said that the watch will simply require a new dial which will be chargeable due to 9 years having passed since its last service. They will give me a small discount on the dial as a gesture of goodwill, so I have a decision to make.

Thanks again for the advice given - it is much appreciated.
    Out of interest, how much is the replacement dial without the gesture of goodwill?
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Out of interest, how much is the replacement dial without the gesture of goodwill?
    Have a guess!

I will tell you of course - just interested to see what you think they might charge.

Have they said they will sell and fit the dial as part of a service or just sell you the dial?
    I’m guessing £250 for the dial.
    I still maintain that a independent could refit the lume disc easily.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Have they said they will sell and fit the dial as part of a service or just sell you the dial?
    I’m guessing £250 for the dial.
    I still maintain that a independent could refit the lume disc easily.
    I haven’t asked about just buying the dial separately and getting it fitted elsewhere. I have no connection/previous history with any watch repairers and everything I read about good ones tells me that they are stacked to the rafters with work in progress. I’m pretty sure they would supply the dial - they have been very helpful (you’re probably thinking “well, they would be with money involved”, but they have not been pushy or smug in any way).

But, more than £250!!

Edited to add - I’m pretty certain that every single watch that is opened by Omega is subject to a full service & charged at the going rate.
    Last edited by MarkJS; 6th September 2020 at 08:45.

Craftsman
    Just to bring my little issue/rant to a conclusion, I went with Omega and the watch has been returned

I know I’ve paid for it, but the watch is literally like new - all blemishes/scuffs/scratches gone and the crown, HE valve & bezel all feel like they did when it left the factory along with the new dial of course - bearing in mind that this watch has been almost a daily wearer for 18 years. One thing I have noticed is that all of the markers on the new dial seem to be bigger than the original markers - picture posted for comparison. Not a problem - I like it and they seem closer in size to the new model. Although I could be imagining it...

Thanks also to JohnnyE for getting in touch with some advice on where to get the work done. I didn’t take it this time but I do appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk