closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor BB36 or BB58

Tudor BB36 or BB58

I’d like to get a Tudor for everyday wear soon. I can’t decide which one I like more. I feel like I’ve seen the 58 so many times, everyone has it etc. but it is an awesome looking watch for sure. Not too sure about the superiority of the in-house over ETA in the long run. I feel like the 36 is a bit more under the radar and I love the size. So... what would you choose and why?
    Oh, and I don’t want to buy both, because I only wear one watch at any given time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Do you ever need a timing bezel? If I only had one watch I'd probably choose a diver as the bezel is pretty handy for everyday timing of things.

At the end of the day they're both good watches, one is a modern, minimal take on a Rolex Explorer with a dive watch dial, clean, clinical but simple. The other is a vintage inspired price, a throwback to 50s era design (assuming the black/gilt version). They're really quite different aesthetically.

Journeyman
    vintage inspired piece, not price, although that would be nice, back when watches were relatively normal outlays!

I personally think the BB design looks wrong without a bezel

I'd go with the BB58, especially if it's an only watch. As nice as the 36 is it's iltimately a little bland plus the movement is inferior to the 58.

BB58 all day for me, they are a great size and both blue and black look good on multiple straps.

That said 36 is just too small for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I'd go with the BB58, especially if it's an only watch. As nice as the 36 is it's iltimately a little bland plus the movement is inferior to the 58.
    It won’t be the only watch, it’ll be the only Tudor. For now anyway :-)
    I decided on the BB36 before, but then I wasn’t sure about the polished bezel. After a while, I fell in love with it again... the BB58 was always there at the back of my mind as a “safe option”.

Journeyman
    I've had the 79220N (BBBlack ETA) since it came out, and love it, but I would have got the 58 if that had been an option then because I like the smaller case sizes. To scratch that itch, I've since added a BB36 and absolutely love it. If I had to choose just one, it would be a very difficult choice indeed, but I wouldn't give up either for the 58 - the 36 because it works for any occasion and oozes class, the BBB because of the rarity (and the case size has totally grown on me as it is not far off the 58). The 58 is everywhere, the 36 is a bit more unusual, that's the one I'd get out of these two.

I need to get some moisturiser on my arm...

79220N
    Last edited by Calumets; 11th August 2020 at 23:05.

Journeyman
    I recently got a bb58 blue. Can’t go wrong in my opinion. Sits far better on the wrist for me than the standard. I very much like the bb36. Depends if you have a diver in your collection already? If not go for the bb58. If so go for the bb36, the polish bezel I find helps break it up. Was the same on my op36. Very nice especially like the bracelet on the bb36. Can’t go wrong with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Calumets View Post
    I've had the 79220N (BBBlack ETA) since it came out, and love it, but I would have got the 58 if that had been an option then because I like the smaller case sizes. To scratch that itch, I've since added a BB36 and absolutely love it. If I had to choose just one, it would be a very difficult choice indeed, but I wouldn't give up either for the 58 - the 36 because it works for any occasion and oozes class, the BBB because of the rarity (and the case size has totally grown on me as it is not far off the 58). The 58 is everywhere, the 36 is a bit more unusual, that's the one I'd get out of these two.

I need to get some moisturiser on my arm...

79220N
    Great photos. I absolutely love the ETA BB but the 41 sounds quite chunky to me... if there was a Black Bay 58 with the rose and smiley dial I wouldn’t hesitate.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The BB36 looks like a dive watch which has had the bezel fall off. If you want a watch of that style I’d go for an OP or Explorer.

As a proud owner of the black dialed BB36 I'd still say that in order to decide between that and the 58 (either version) you'd have to consider what you already have and when/why you'd wear whichever Tudor you choose. I may be biased however I think that the 36 is a bit of a sleeper, it may not be the obvious choice however it wields a punch greater than its size would suggest, it's perfectly proportioned and has a touch of restrained class about it. The blue 58 may, in my opinion, be more versatile than the black as the gilding smartens the watch up, having said that some may find the blue too casual. Both may be considered more versatile than the 36 simply due to the 58's dimensions.

The old adage try before you buy applies here if you're unsure, easier said than done with the 58s however. If it's to be worn on rotation with many days or longer between wearing then the 58's greater power reserve may not be a deciding factor, some may argue that the 36 is a touch expensive for an ETA watch though mine is extremely well regulated and the quality of the rest of the watch makes up the difference. For what it's worth I'd keep my 36 rather than swap for a 58 however that's because the former fits in better with my own collection, though I'd still love to try a blue 58 at some point.

Regardless, there isn't a bad decision to be made here, just one that's personal to you.

BB36
    Last edited by CardShark; 12th August 2020 at 00:36.

As others have said, it’s not a bad dilemma to have, as both the 36 and 58 are great watches.

I have a bit of a thing for BB’s in general with a few in my collection. I don’t have a 36 though, despite having small wrists. I’ve tried one a few times but it’s just failed to win me over. So, it would be the 58 for me. In fact, it has been the 58 twice now, as I’ve recently got hold of the blue to go alongside the black and gilt. Both are fantastic but I have to say that the blue really does look stunning in the sunshine!

Enjoy the decision. It’s a very nice 1st world problem to face into.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    It won’t be the only watch, it’ll be the only Tudor. For now anyway :-)
    I decided on the BB36 before, but then I wasn’t sure about the polished bezel. After a while, I fell in love with it again... the BB58 was always there at the back of my mind as a “safe option”.

There's a stronger case for the 36 then! I had a 114270 as an only watch a few years ago and I ended up getting rid as it was too bland but it would sit very well as part of my small collection now.

Have you tried both on? If not, that's the thing to do. If you have then try them again and go with your gut.

Journeyman
    Great photos. I absolutely love the ETA BB but the 41 sounds quite chunky to me... if there was a Black Bay 58 with the rose and smiley dial I wouldn’t hesitate.

Thanks.
    In fact, the ETA BB is only 12.8mm thick, with a completely flat casebook, so it doesn't wear too big. In comparison, the 58 is 11.9mm thick. The in-house version is the really thick one at 14.9mm.
    Last edited by Calumets; 12th August 2020 at 09:55.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    The BB36 looks like a dive watch which has had the bezel fall off. If you want a watch of that style I’d go for an OP or Explorer.
    It really doesn't - the bezel is far too shiny! The Explorer, on the other hand, looks like the arabic numerals at 12 have fallen off, or perhaps mated with the hideous hour hand. The OP is pretty nice, but far more expensive than the Tudor 36, which, if you like the snowflake, seems a much better option to me.

Thanks.
    In fact, the ETA BB is only 12.8mm thick, with a completely flat casebook, so it doesn't wear too big. In comparison, the 58 is 11.9mm thick. The in-house version is the really thick one at 14.9mm.
    I thought the 58 is in-house?

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Try both on and decide

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I tried the 36 and it felt good. The 58 is not as easy to find and try on.

Journeyman
    I thought the 58 is in-house?

It is, I was referring to the 41 (with dive bezel). BTW - how do people differentiate names between the 41mm shiny bezel, and the 41mm dive bezel Black Bays in shorthand?

I see, I wasn’t aware of the in-house 41mm BB.
    And, I don’t know.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It really doesn't - the bezel is far too shiny! The Explorer, on the other hand, looks like the arabic numerals at 12 have fallen off, or perhaps mated with the hideous hour hand. The OP is pretty nice, but far more expensive than the Tudor 36, which, if you like the snowflake, seems a much better option to me.
    I guess it’s all a matter of preference...

I don’t want to be conscious of the fact I’m wearing a Rolex and that basically rules it out for me. I want a watch I can take anywhere if I feel like it and Tudor seems to be cool enough. I don’t mind the snowflake hands at all.

Oh, and I don’t want to buy both, because I only wear one watch at any given time.

That’ll definitely change if you hang out here long enough

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    That’ll definitely change if you hang out here long enough
    How many can you wear at once?

I assume you are well balanced and therefore will only wear one watch at a time lol.

From your comment, I therefore surmised you were suggesting only owning and wearing one watch at a time. That’s where we all start.

Journeyman
    I’d like to get a Tudor for everyday wear soon. I can’t decide which one I like more. I feel like I’ve seen the 58 so many times, everyone has it etc. but it is an awesome looking watch for sure. Not too sure about the superiority of the in-house over ETA in the long run. I feel like the 36 is a bit more under the radar and I love the size. So... what would you choose and why?

I used to own one. Personally, the 36 was too small for my wrist.
    But then again the bigger version i don’t like so much as the 36.

I would go for the BB58

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I assume you are well balanced and therefore will only wear one watch at a time lol.

From your comment, I therefore surmised you were suggesting only owning and wearing one watch at a time. That’s where we all start.
    My question was a little bit tongue in cheek :-)
    I do have other watches but trying not to go crazy and seem to sell whatever doesn’t get worn enough. I think for me, 3 is a good number of watches to have.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAFC8 View Post
    BB58 all day for me, they are a great size and both blue and black look good on multiple straps.

That said 36 is just too small for my taste.

Exactly same here. I just only noticed how small it was after receiving it.

I’m leaning towards the BB58, thank you everyone.

I realize it's all very subjective and they're very different watches, but I'd pick the 36 over the 58 everyday. I tried on the 58 and it did nothing for me. The 36 on the other hand was a near-perfect everyday watch for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    I realize it's all very subjective and they're very different watches, but I'd pick the 36 over the 58 everyday. I tried on the 58 and it did nothing for me. The 36 on the other hand was a near-perfect everyday watch for me.

That looks so good on your wrist.

So... why did you sell it?

Decided to try this, but didn’t work for me. Way too chunky. Shame as I absolutely love the looks etc.

Tudor BB36 or BB58

BB58 for me. I would go for the black version as really ticks every box in terms of looks, specs & feel.
    At 39mm I find it extremely comfortable and right size - personally prefer it over the much more hyped Rolex Subs...

Blue version is nice but I find it somehow monochromatic...

Then again, I might be biased from owning one