closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPad Pro buying used advice - New Question!!

iPad Pro buying used advice - New Question!!

Wife is on the hunt for a iPad Pro 12.9. Seems to be a few good ones on Facebook and Gumtree with decent savings on new.

She wants it primarly for arty stuff and uses an app Pro Create. A bit of net-ferreting and the occasional You Tube video.

Been in contact with two sellers one is an artist with what turns out to be 256gb Gen 2 pad (she thought it was a gen 3) comes with pencil (good) and a decent case. Wants £600.

The second has a 128gb gen 4 with warranty until April 2021, decent case but no pencil wants £800 but I could perhaps nibble £25 off. Have to add £120 for the pen - not a big deal.

Is there a big and noticeable jump between a gen 2 v gen 4? Better screen and faster processor on the newer model but I don't know how that translates into real life performance

Anyone give me a bit of guidance as to what to go for please...I've caught before with the "bigger, better & faster" stuff with tech before only to notice a small difference!
    Prices realistic for what's on offer?

Thanks, David
    Last edited by jacinabox; 12th August 2020 at 13:08.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

iPad Pro buying used advice

I can’t comment on specifics except to say that my wife uses a 12.9” iPad Pro 256GB daily for Procreate. She has created loads of prints which she sells on Etsy - not sure if I can share her shop but here’s a link and I’ll remove it if it’s against rules:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/EpicAdventurePrints

It’s amazing what you can do on them but for somebody with zero artistic talent like myself, the user still has to have the skills!

Hers is a 3rd Generation with the latest Pencil, all bought in Oct last year. The iPad hasn’t missed a beat but she’s on her second pencil - the last one became unresponsive.

She’s a heavy user but I expected the pencil to last a bit longer. In their defence, Apple replaced it under warranty.

So I’d say a 3rd gen ought to do it and should provide a saving

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'd go for gen 3 or 4, I've just upgraded from a gen 3 to 4 and the differences, whilst apparent, aren't mind blowing, but I think the difference between 2 and 3 are bigger.

Have a look at CEX or one of the other retailers that offer a 24 month guarantee.

Thanks for the helpful advice; as expected seems opinions point to the newer generation ipads over the second gen...advice will be followed and a 4 month old gen 4 is looking like it will be re-homed by wife, pick up on Thursday.

IdiotAbroad - helpful reply from someone who's wife is doing exactly what mine wants to amuse herself with. Appreciated!

CEX? pretty pricey albeit there is a 24 month warranty. Seem to buy very cheap and sell high. Not for me, but thanks for the tip.

David

I've ordered a Pro for different tasks but it's worth noting that Apple are sold out. Mine from apple.com is taking 4 entire weeks. Good time to be selling one as you can probably ask what you want. If you're happy with the nearly new go for it but if the difference isn't loads I would buy new. Some JL stores have stock, but not much.

wileeeey - yes, did look at JL, but still think there are some nice savings on privately bought with some Apple warranty remaining.

I do have another question before I handover my hard-earned tomorrow night.
    The iPad I'm hoping to get is a gen 4 but cellular - on Vodaphone. It's only 4 months old and the seller has agreed to let it go for a reasonable price.

A friend has pointed out that it's probably on contract and the iPad will more than likely have payments due for a good while yet. If I buy it can Vodaphone block/lock the ipad? A question out of curiosity rather than trying to buy something that is not the sellers to sell!

Going to be speaking to seller later today to try and clear this up. If it is under contract with payments still due I'll be leaving alone

Thanks, David

Master
    I’ve just picked up a new iPad Pro 256 12.9” with the new Apple Pencil, so any specific questions, please ask (I upgraded from a 10.5” 2017 iPad Pro).

Edit: having read your last reply, you’ve probably already bought an iPad, so ignore this 😀

Hmm if it's on contract with Voda they may have the right to block UK Sims from working, I'm not sure if they do. It wouldn't impact the device overall, just the cellular element. Guess it depends if the seller keeps paying their bill after they've sold it. I'd be cautious.

Yes, you're right one has already been bought.

The Vodaphone part was a little misleading in sellers advert. He tried a Vodaphone sim and it worked...it was in fact unlocked.
    Checked details with IMEI.info and all was good.
    Apple warranty until May next year. Apple also confirmed sale wasn't through a mobile phone carrier

Seller had won it through a workplace raffle (media company) just before lockdown and showed me his notification letter from his employer telling him he'd got lucky in May.

Seemed a nice guy, lived in a nice house so all was well for me. iPads were not his "thing" so decided to sell...absolutely spotless and a saving of just under £400 on new I parted with my hard-earned. Feel absolutely confident nothing underhand was going on.

Mrs JiaB is delighted, bought her pencil and the art app and it keeps her amused and out of my hair. Money well spent!

Thanks to all who offered up their thoughts - appreciated :)

David

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I bought an iPad Pro 11 from here which was won in a work competition too. Wish my work did those types of completions!

It's always worth keeping an eye on Apple refurbished.

I bought my iPad Pro 11' 64GB a few months ago for £513 and it arrived brand new in the original sealed box - they were still being sold new for £760 on Amazon! This is the 2018 version and was around the same time the 2020 version was announced so Apple were having a clear out.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/ipad