closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where to service a 90s Tudor sub

Master

Where to service a 90s Tudor sub

Asking for a friend who has one that he needs too sell. It's a 36mm silver dialed and silver bezel sub from 1990. It probably needs a bezel insert as current one has lost its lume pip and some of the black paint from the numbering. Bezel is also jammed so needs something fixing, in addition to a service on the mechanism, seal and pressure test.

Watchfinder made him an offer knowing of the bezel issues, he sent it in and now they are returning it because of those issues. Fair that they don't want to fix-a-up-a but bit poor to make an offer knowing of those problems!

Anyway, I've suggested he consider a service before a sale so in order to get an idea of the cost of a good service, can anyone suggest a good place to send it, other than back to Tudor, or is Tudor the best bet?

What would you value it as is compared to value after the service and repairs and is it worth doing.

Just some thing's to think about.
    Obviously Tudor/Rolex would put it right but at what cost.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'm not a Tudor sub expert. That size and age, on bracelet (friend's isn't) seem to go for £2.2k ish. His has a silver dial and bezel though and I've not found one to compare more precisely. Could be less, same or more. Watchfinder offered £1600 I believe, before rejecting it once they had it to assess. Seems fair for one on a NATO.

I can only guess but if I were interested and saw it on eBay i'd factor service cost plus a bit for unknown damage into my bid. Others who know more may bid more. Really I want to know the service cost to make a decision, and suggest what my friend might do.

I don't know their prices but you could maybe phone or email a local Tudor dealer and get an idea.

Pretty sure someone on here will either know or at least recommend a very good watchmaker.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

There are a number of really good watch makers on here.
    Duncan the Watch Bloke serviced my 7016 a while a go and as always did a great job. He does have a long wait list though (as do all good watch makers).
    Russel Talerman in Mayfair is another good watchmaker
    Your issue may be getting a replacement bezel insert, as these are rare and will cost a fair bit.
    The other issues should be easy to sort.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 11th August 2020 at 17:23.

A missing pip and a few bits of bezel paint are no reason to junk one of these bezel inserts, as it is hell's own job to find a replacement.
    The steel bezel insert numerals are engraved and paint filled, so the repair is relatively easy. As is polishing it up to remove scratches.
    Finding a pip to insert is quite simple too, you'll get one off Ebay.
    As to why it is locked in place, no idea, but did it work for him ever (in which case jammed by DNA cheese or sea salt) or might it have been glued in the past to hide the fact that the retaining spring is missing.
    The movement is an ETA, so relatively easy to work on.
    Go to a recommended independent on here, there are seversl.
    D

Craftsman
    .. sounds like a 75090/75190. RSC would service them when I asked about mine (and that might be cost effective if you wanted a bracelet for it - service bracelet prices were quite reasonable) .. I eventually went with Duncan at Genesis along with an insert. That colour is quite hard to find out of black/blue/silver..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    RSC I imagine but would just sell on eBay sold as seen and let the buyer worry about it. Mention it it the description and knock a few hundred off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Thanks Neil for posting.
    This is my watch, thanks all for the help

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If in London our service centre could probably assess it and advise whether they can sort or if it needs to go back to Tudor.
    Official Watches on green lanes N13.