closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eat Out To Help Out - Anyone Doing It?

Eat Out To Help Out - Anyone Doing It?

It is pub lunches for the family every Mon, Tues and Wed for us at the moment, and try to combine it with a day trip if I’m not WFH.

Only trouble is if the pubs are good and in a nice location they are well booked up in advance.

Did a pub in Chichester Harbour yesterday, one near Kingston today and planning another near Eastbourne tomorrow.

If I am ultimately paying for the scheme out of my taxes, I’m happy to use it.

I may put on a bit of timber though.

need to be renamed to 'eat out to spread covid ' , one of my local pubs got shut down again over the weekend after having a 'barbecue' night with 70+ ppl where the next day multiples tested positive.
    tbh im wondering if the government is going to do a syringe sharing scheme next to save the NHS money.

£10 wouldn't have me eating in right now but I'm in London and it's packed. In a country pub with outdoor seating when it's half empty absolutely, would be a no brainer. I'm not sure about 3x per week though -- you'll put on an entire forest, not just a bit of timber.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm not sure about 3x per week though -- you'll put on an entire forest, not just a bit of timber.
    The current heat means I am only eating one meal a day at the moment, although it is probably well north of 1000 calories.

As an aside my wife and I went into a McD today as we were starving and everything else was takeaway or full.

It was scorching and that aircon felt so good!

I give them their due, table service only if eating in and the staff were very well trained. All diners well separated.

Oh, and two quarter pounders with cheese meals came to around £4.50.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Sounds like a great deal and i would like to if i could find a place that enforced social distancing and wasnt packed to the rafters.

On my walk yesterday i walked past an italian place that isnt in a busy location and subsequently isnt busy, the prices dont help either, in fact whenever i go past it seems empty. Lo and behold it was heaving diners sat inside and out, tables not sufficiently spaced etc.

Im going to give it a miss.

Blog Entries
    Let me think, am I going to go and eat out in the middle of a pandemic when Covid-19 is still commonplace. Mmmmmmmmm.................no. I'm not dying for a cheap meal.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    need to be renamed to 'eat out to spread covid ' , one of my local pubs got shut down again over the weekend after having a 'barbecue' night with 70+ ppl where the next day multiples tested positive.
    tbh im wondering if the government is going to do a syringe sharing scheme next to save the NHS money.
    Stories and accounts like that that makes us not want to do it. Would rather continue to cook at home and save money or get a takeaway.
    Our local pub is still closed as well, probably the responsible thing to do for them.

To be fair a lot of fast food joints wouldn't bat an eye if you tell them you'd eat in and just walk out with your food. As long as you can carry what you've ordered.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Let me think, am I going to go and eat out in the middle of a pandemic when Covid-19 is still commonplace. Mmmmmmmmm.................no. I'm not dying for a cheap meal.
    Haha yeah I’m sure you’ll die if you go out for a Big Mac 😂

If you’re in Eastbourne tomorrow, try Sovereign Harbour. Plenty of room outside most of the restaurants and it’s fairly warm down here at the moment.

Mostly good food too if you ignore the Harvester!

Your risk of death for a cheap meal is low, even if you have specific medical conditions that increase your risk in the first place. That's because the community prevalence is low.

I'm going out for a meal with my wife tonight to take advantage. The NHS didn't give two hoots about my risk of catching Covid when it expected me to wade in to Covid wards or care homes with Covid +ve patients armed with a plastic apron, some gloves used in the catering industry, and a flimsy surgical mask. I think I'll take my chances in the curry house later.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    We have been out to eat a few times over the last couple of weeks.Each pub/restaurant we went to were sensibly set out and ordering/service was also sensibly carried out. No issues at all.

If that is your view (and we all know it is as 5 minutes rarely goes by when you haven’t posted something) then you are,of course,entitled to it. However, if we all sit at home refusing to interact with the world at large then it will grind to a halt. In this case if nobody uses the pubs,restaurants etc the service industry grinds to a halt and many people become jobless,not to mention other economic & social effects.

Master
    We went out for a nice meal at my golf club last Wednesday, mainly to try and support them getting back on their feet. They’ve taken all rules and regs very seriously and we had a very good meal. Was nice to see a few folks in there to be honest. Obviously I drunk my £10 saving and felt like s**t on Thursday morning, but there we go.

As for queuing round the block to get into a packed Wagamamas.... forget it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Haha yeah I’m sure you’ll die if you go out for a Big Mac 
    Is it not possible to catch Covid-19 in MacDonalds then?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    We have been out to eat a few times over the last couple of weeks.Each pub/restaurant we went to were sensibly set out and ordering/service was also sensibly carried out. No issues at all.

If that is your view (and we all know it is as 5 minutes rarely goes by when you haven’t posted something) then you are,of course,entitled to it. However, if we all sit at home refusing to interact with the world at large then it will grind to a halt. In this case if nobody uses the pubs,restaurants etc the service industry grinds to a halt and many people become jobless,not to mention other economic & social effects.
    Yup you're right that's my view, and I don't think I'm alone in that. Oops sorry there I go posting again!

Master
    Is it not possible to catch Covid-19 in MacDonalds then?
    Probably but what are the chances you’d even know about it let alone die from it, more chance dying from food poisoning

Been out for a curry last week. I don't see the concern really as long as the guidelines are followed. Afterall I see more people and are closer to them when stood in a sainsbury's queue.
    Same goes for the bars that do table service.
    My only worries are when it goes to toilet stops. Along with the hygiene of the chefs, but the later is always a risk when eating out anytime of the year.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Master
    We went out last Wednesday and sacked off "takeaway friday", it was great. Local indian, great restaurant but its usually fairly quiet except for saturday nights.
    We expected it to be fairly slow but at 5.30pm it was busy, and when we left just before 7 there wasnt a spare seat to be had in the restaurant or waiting room.
    Fair play to the government, they promised to help the hospitality trade and they have given it an enormous push with this scheme.

To be fair we didnt even save that much - £65 quid minus two adults "discounts" was still £45 which rounded up to 50 with a tip, it was just nice to be out, we were basically celebrating three of our birthdays from the past 4 months!

I also had a breakfast in wetherspoons last week, not my usual first choice, very spontaneous but it cost less than three quid. It would have cost me more for the ingredients from Aldi and home cooking them.

Tomorrow we're probably going to choose somewhere to go for tea again. Even when this is over and done with I quite like having a meal out in the week, finishing work and not worrying about cooking. Covid-worriers can stay home, that's absolutely fine, but I'm happy to have some measure of freedom back to be honest. As long as people are sensible with it, which they are being, then I'm pretty happy as things are.

Blog Entries
    Probably but what are the chances you’d even know about it let alone die from it, more chance dying from food poisoning
    Win win not going then eh!

Although being over 60 with underlying health issues the chances are high it would be pretty serious if I did get it.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 11th August 2020 at 15:58.

Imposing local lock downs, quarantining people on arrival in the UK from EU holiday, telling us to get a bike to lose weight, and in the same breath encouraging us all to go out and eat in close proximity to strangers and opening schools full time in two weeks.

Make your frigging minds up

Yep me and the wife have been out a few times on this. We’ve enjoyed it. We always pick places that take the guidance seriously and try to pick quieter times.
    Both me and the wife are healthy and we consider the risks to us low. But we talk all the precautions we can.
    I’ve been out a few times since bars reopened for a pint and again by choosing my locations wisely I’ve not felt uneasy and always enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Imposing local lock downs, quarantining people on arrival in the UK from EU holiday, telling us to get a bike to lose weight, and in the same breath encouraging us all to go out and eat in close proximity to strangers and opening schools full time in two weeks.

Make your frigging minds up
    Certainly perplexing.

Ridiculous statement, so more than 46k people in the UK and 700k+ worldwide have died of food poisoning in the last 5 months!!

I appreciate we need to get going and turning the wheels of the economy but this could/will blow back up with all the social interaction in pubs, restaurants, holidays and days out at the beach, especially the alcohol induced that let their social distancing slide..

Master
    Win win not going then eh!

Although being over 60 with underlying health issues the chances are high it would be pretty serious if I did get it.
    Certainly sounds like it, maybe you could sit back and get a Wiltshire farm food takeout, Ronnie approves

You could sit back and get a Wiltshire farm food takeout.
    That sounds like a West Country euphemism.

Master

Eat Out To Help Out - Anyone Doing It?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Ridiculous statement, so more than 46k people in the UK and 700k+ worldwide have died of food poisoning in the last 5 months!!

I appreciate we need to get going and turning the wheels of the economy but this could/will blow back up with all the social interaction in pubs, restaurants, holidays and days out at the beach, especially the alcohol induced that let their social distancing slide..
    But it’s not 46,000 though. The government has already come out and said that PHE have fudged the figures massively by the way they are recording deaths. Anyone in England who has tested positive for Covid and then died has been recorded as a Covid death. Even if that person has recovered from Covid and then subsequently run over by a bus and killed is still recorded as a Covid death because they have had Covid previously.
    And where do you get the last 5 months from? The first KNOWN cases were in China last December.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    But it’s not 46,000 though. The government has already come out and said that PHE have fudged the figures massively by the way they are recording deaths. Anyone in England who has tested positive for Covid and then died has been recorded as a Covid death. Even if that person has recovered from Covid and then subsequently run over by a bus and killed is still recorded as a Covid death because they have had Covid previously.
    And where do you get the last 5 months from? The first KNOWN cases were in China last December.
    Your being pedantic, you know what I was trying to say, the comparison was simply between COVID and food poisoning deaths which are not even a comparison going by the last 6/7/8+ months..

My turn to be pedantic, apparently there was reports in November of COVID cases in China.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Your being pedantic, you know what I was trying to say, the comparison was simply between COVID and food poisoning deaths which are not even a comparison going by the last 6/7/8+ months..

My turn to be pedantic, apparently there was reports in November of COVID cases in China.
    Makes no difference anyways as what you said first time didn’t make any sense

Blog Entries
    The wife and I have been out in the Surrey Hills the last couple of days lunching and very nice it's been too. Been a good opportunity to go and find out of the way pubs, serving decent food, in decent setting, in glorious weather. Back out for lunch again tomorrow. Everywhere we have been has observed impeccable social distancing and cleanliness and we've been sitting outside to eat.

Three courses x2 tonight

Two soft drinks each

And a coffee

Total bill £26.48

Can’t fault it - the old mill - Coventry

Walk ins were politely told - not tonight sir you’re not in the list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ate out early.

Then I went for something to eat.

........ I'll get my coat...

Master
    We were going to head out tonight to a nearby pub (wish I could call it my local) which we discovered after a road closure, so complete accident and is the best beer & food pub I’ve ever been to.

Their staff and ordering process are great, disposable menus, table service only, staff all in masks, sanitised tables after someone has left etc. Compared to the local where there are no masks & not seen any tables cleaned down after use. We don’t go back now!

I said were planning, Ive only just turned the laptop off after a 6.30 start & no breaks apart from to get drinks / get rid of drinks. Shattered and angry as was looking forward to a nice meal and a pint.

Maybe tomorrow, but I doubt it as project will be like this until end Aug when the deals end. Typical!

Waited 1.75 hours for a table in (well outside in the end) Nandos yesterday.

Service was chaotic, but the food was fine.

We won't hurry back, but it was their first night so maybe it was just teething trouble and a first night rush.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Certainly sounds like it, maybe you could sit back and get a Wiltshire farm food takeout, Ronnie approves
    Is that code?

Master
    Recently got back from Chipotle in Baker St on my way home from work. Burrito, drink and tortilla chips for a fiver which I think was pretty good. That end of the street has quite a few eating places and most were fairly well frequented although there was good space between most of the diners and sanitiser etc at the doorways.

Trying to eat out once or twice a week Mon-Weds at the moment so tomorrow it is one of the Galvin group restaurants where unfortunately £10 off your meal doesn't get you quite so far!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Waited 1.75 hours for a table in (well outside in the end) Nandos yesterday.

Service was chaotic, but the food was fine.

We won't hurry back, but it was their first night so maybe it was just teething trouble and a first night rush.

M

Wow, I’d never queue at all for Nando’s, you must really like them! I’ve eaten two as forced team lunches & not been impressed at all.

We eat out 2-3 times a week, but hate doing so early half of the week; Monday’s particularly if you have read Bourdain’s kitchen confidential book!

Even if that person has recovered from Covid and then subsequently run over by a bus and killed is still recorded as a Covid death because they have had Covid previously.
    Did that happen a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Wow, I’d never queue at all for Nando’s, you must really like them! I’ve eaten two as forced team lunches & not been impressed at all.

We eat out 2-3 times a week, but hate doing so early half of the week; Monday’s particularly if you have read Bourdain’s kitchen confidential book!
    Each to their own, we didn't wait for a long period at the restaurant, but more than was sensible really.

M

Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Are pubs/restaurants taking customer’s details as they’re supposed to?

I've eaten out four times in the last three days, from pubs and greasy spoons, to country house hotels, to expensive restaurants. All have had my details.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Are pubs/restaurants taking customer’s details as they’re supposed to?
    What details are they required to take? All mine have required a pre-booking so I'm assuming that covers the details?

Impressive that's' going some, 4 times in 3 days

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    What details are they required to take? All mine have required a pre-booking so I'm assuming that covers the details?
    Name + contact details, imagine you’re covered by booking.

Master
    I am lucky being in Spain, I can eat outdoors in nearly every restaurant and even then we are usually more than 2 meters away from the next table. I would seriously think twice about eating indoors, 2 meters or no 2 meters at my age.

I am coming to the conclusion that we need different rules for different age groups. A young family should be safe enough mingling with others in a similar age group providing they wear masks and socially distance, so by all means go out and enjoy yourselves. However, vulnerable people should really be more careful and give it a miss. This is how herd immunity will kick in and then we should slowly win the day.

Master
    Eat out and help out - help Covid spread more likely. Not for me thanks.

Nearly two hours for a table at Nandos. No chance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Did that happen a lot?
    Ok, swap run over by a bus for ANY non Covid terminal illness. The death certificate will still show Covid-19.
    My guess is this DOES happen a lot.

Ok, swap run over by a bus for ANY non Covid terminal illness. The death certificate will still show Covid-19.
    My guess is this DOES happen a lot.
    What if they died while wearing a tinfoil hat?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Did that happen a lot?
    I doubt it, but what did happen a lot is that people already seriously ill with cancer contracted Covid -19, recovered from it and then subsequently died as a result of the cancer. The bus example is a neat way of explaining how ridiculous the recording is

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I am lucky being in Spain, I can eat outdoors in nearly every restaurant and even then we are usually more than 2 meters away from the next table. I would seriously think twice about eating indoors, 2 meters or no 2 meters at my age.

I am coming to the conclusion that we need different rules for different age groups. A young family should be safe enough mingling with others in a similar age group providing they wear masks and socially distance, so by all means go out and enjoy yourselves. However, vulnerable people should really be more careful and give it a miss. This is how herd immunity will kick in and then we should slowly win the day.
    We've still not bothered eating out yet in our corner of Espana, happy to take the wait and see approach for now. Not so worried health wise, personally it's more to do with the ambiance, mitigation aspects being at odds with a good time, just my view. We've chosen to have friends over and cook at home, smaller numbers, always outside, dip em in the chlorinated pool on arrival, kidding.

Have heard from some friends who've taken the plunge that previously dependable restaurants haven't been quite up to snuff, might be they're finding it hard to judge numbers of bums on seats and it's affected their ability to predict required stocking/ staffing, the freshness of ingredients has suffered and service hasn't always been satisfactory. So masks, the faff and a disappointing meal.

Watching news featuring the UK, it seems the hope, the general feeling is it's more or less over.