closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New car advice

Craftsman

New car advice

With the arrival of our first born a month ago, my trusty three door GTi is for the chop.

I'm in the early stages of putting a shortlist together. My priorities are more space, a lot more refinement and a capable engine (that isn't diesel). The list so far includes:

Lexus RX450h
    BMW F31 340i touring
    BMW G30 530e
    Skoda Superb estate 272PS
    Volvo S90/V90

So far, I've test driven the Lexus and 530e (the 340i and Superb 272 are virtually non-existent where I live, I'll have to go to Blighty for one). I really liked the Lexus, refined and well built. The 530e was nice too, but I'd prefer more boot space.

I test drove a S90 with the T8 engine today. I was seriously impressed with it. The interior is gorgeous, with a really premium feel. The drivetrain is nice, with plenty of power and a fairly decent delivery.

I'd be grateful to hear peoples' experiences of any of the above cars, particularly the Volvo. Cheers!

Fuel consumption I would assume is not a problem? I have the Volvo V90 however in the D5 diesel. I struggle to get 40mpg. The car itself is as you say excellent very refined. I have found Volvo to be lacking when it comes to service and repair, that’s been the same at all 3 dealerships I have tried. I am going for an XC90 next so it shows the product is good

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I have a Volvo v90 and absolutely love it, lovely comfortable to drive. Has every option under the sun ticked. I love the 360 camera, I can park but very useful for a car it’s size. Heated and cooled seats are useful as you can have both on at the same time which have been a blessing in this recent heat wave. I went with the 4 zone climate control which again with my 11 month old has been useful recently. It’s a very comfortable place to be for my the four of us and we have plenary of space. The boot has one of those sensors you kick to open and again has been useful when hands are full of shopping or with baby stuff.

Heated steering wheel is lovely on cold days I went for the B&W sound system and I feel IMHO it was worth it.
    Head up display I went for it as I normally go for heated windscreen option. I like it’s it’s useful to me and I can use the Volvo app to preheat or cool the car.
    Electric tow bar fitting which retracts away when not in use for the kids bike rack. I got it when I knew we were having our daughter and it’s been perfect the cabin is very pleasant place to be in the glass roof is great and it has an actual sunroof actual unlike the wife’s Evoque which just about gets the child seat in and the glass roof is fixed.

Craftsman
    Some really helpful info guys, thanks.

How do you find the touchscreen infotainment unit after living with it for some time? I found it great when stationary, but quite distracting when driving.

Fuel consumption is not an issue, I only drive about 5,000 miles a year (most of it city driving).

We've had a Lexus LS600h for the last three years and it has been outstanding. It was ten years old when we bought it from Lexus, had 100k miles and they gave it a full 3 year manufacturer warranty! Since done around 140k with no issues at all. Our next car will be a RX450hl as we'd like the seven seats again (for grandchildren this time). Beautiful cars and cast iron solid on the reliability side of things. Also, the dealerships are just brilliant places and customer service is outstanding in our experience. I can't say the same for the local Volvo dealer and our dealings with them over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Some really helpful info guys, thanks.

How do you find the touchscreen infotainment unit after living with it for some time? I found it great when stationary, but quite distracting when driving.

Fuel consumption is not an issue, I only drive about 5,000 miles a year (most of it city driving).
    You can do most things on the steering wheel or voice control on modern cars, very little reason to look down

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    We've had a Lexus LS600h for the last three years and it has been outstanding. It was ten years old when we bought it from Lexus, had 100k miles and they gave it a full 3 year manufacturer warranty! Since done around 140k with no issues at all. Our next car will be a RX450hl as we'd like the seven seats again (for grandchildren this time). Beautiful cars and cast iron solid on the reliability side of things. Also, the dealerships are just brilliant places and customer service is outstanding in our experience. I can't say the same for the local Volvo dealer and our dealings with them over the years.

I had several Lexus's subsequently a couple of BMW's and a Merc, I now know just how good Lexus dealers are, or to put it another way how bad the others are, Lexus are all about customer satisfaction whereas once the others get your money its down hill from there.

OP I Had three RX 450s they were all faultless, didn't have any problems with them, the only time I ever went into the dealer was to buy another, if it needed servicing they came and got it, always leaving something to drive,

I've had an XC90 T8 since the beginning of 2017 and it's a great car. Like any new set of controls, the touch screen took a bit of getting used to but in practice I mainly use the steering wheel buttons when on the move. The fact that the infotainment system is Apple Carplay compatible is a huge bonus for me, as it means I can plug my iPhone in and use Siri for navigation etc as well. Good as the Volvo voice command system is, Siri's better IMO.

The drivetrain is brilliant, there's plenty of power, and it's one of the most comfortable and pleasant interiors I've had. Right up there with Audi for quality IMO. (And the XC90 is huge inside, obviously, so load-lugging is trivially easy.)

Master
    As an ownership experience I think you cannot beat Lexus. We had an RX400. They even asked how the children were by name when I went in!

That said the boot is not that big.

Currently have a Superb estate. Our second. Whilst the 272 would be rapid I find my 190 TSI more than adequate. Considered a remap but honestly don't think it needs it. Economy is reasonable. 50 on motorway, 35 + on B roads, 42 on mixed driving. The boot is absolutely massive. 660 litres. Likewise rear legroom. Got £8k off list by buying pre-reg, 15 miles at purchase.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

I can give you a n opinion on all of thoes car's.
    Not because I owned any but I did work for a company that replaced car's after you had been involved in a non fault accident for insurance company's.

Basically any model and any car from a kia picanto to a Aston Martin.

Anyway. The BMW's are fantastic reliable car's and at dealerships you get good quality of service.
    Downfall on some is comfort. The 5 series is great but not so in the 3 series. Harder seats and adjustment can be clumsy especially if you don't go for the full electric one's.

The Lexus I cannot fault in any way other than to say their satnav system is mind boggling. Also if you get a hybrid don't believe the mpg claim. It's not even remotely close.

Volvo. Mmmmmm absolutely love them in every way. The mention about the screen is a valid one but after you get used to it you will barely touch it. You can control a lot of things from the steering wheel once you get used to the touch control's. Like tiny track pads.
    Reliability. They are almost bullet proof but what I have found is their dealerships are slow and seem in no rush to to deal with you.

Skoda. Again absolutely fantastic car and really have nothing to criticise and I mean nothing. I really can't think of anything that would put me off buying one.
    Dealerships very friendly and usually pretty quick if any problems arise.
    Fuel consumption for the petrol versions is also very good but then again the Volvo is a much heavier car as is the Lexus and 5 series.

All in all if I had the money I would personally go for the Volvo XC90. Unbelievable piece of kit but at the same time I wouldn't cry if it had to be the Skoda. Again an unbelievable piece of kit at a lot lower cost.

PS

Automatic versions would be my choice.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    I can give you a n opinion on all of thoes car's.
    Not because I owned any but I did work for a company that replaced car's after you had been involved in a non fault accident for insurance company's.

Basically any model and any car from a kia picanto to a Aston Martin.

Anyway. The BMW's are fantastic reliable car's and at dealerships you get good quality of service.
    Downfall on some is comfort. The 5 series is great but not so in the 3 series. Harder seats and adjustment can be clumsy especially if you don't go for the full electric one's.

The Lexus I cannot fault in any way other than to say their satnav system is mind boggling. Also if you get a hybrid don't believe the mpg claim. It's not even remotely close.

Volvo. Mmmmmm absolutely love them in every way. The mention about the screen is a valid one but after you get used to it you will barely touch it. You can control a lot of things from the steering wheel once you get used to the touch control's. Like tiny track pads.
    Reliability. They are almost bullet proof but what I have found is their dealerships are slow and seem in no rush to to deal with you.

Skoda. Again absolutely fantastic car and really have nothing to criticise and I mean nothing. I really can't think of anything that would put me off buying one.
    Dealerships very friendly and usually pretty quick if any problems arise.
    Fuel consumption for the petrol versions is also very good but then again the Volvo is a much heavier car as is the Lexus and 5 series.

All in all if I had the money I would personally go for the Volvo XC90. Unbelievable piece of kit but at the same time I wouldn't cry if it had to be the Skoda. Again an unbelievable piece of kit at a lot lower cost.

PS

Automatic versions would be my choice.

The RX450 averages 36, I have done about 400000 miles in them

400000 even if it was a Taxi that's astronomical. I take it you meant 40000 tho.

For a heavy car yes it's OK but still 34-36mpg isn't the best.
    That said I think the OP already said mpg dosn't really bother him so it's still a good car I would recommend other than the satnav. It's only my opinion that if it came down to it Volvo would be top and the Skoda as a very good cheaper alternative.

Would I cry if I had to pick the RX450h? Hell no.

I'm guessing the 400,000 was across the three RX450 cars?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I'm guessing the 400,000 was across the three RX450 cars?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Yes of course,

Craftsman
    Once again TZ comes in clutch with the recommendations. Thanks all for the helpful comments, in particular sickie.

As it happens I went back to the BMW dealer this morning with the buggy and my golf clubs to see if they'd fit in the 530e - the results were not good and I don't think it will be a runner. While I was there they had a new model 320i that the sales guy offered me a drive of. I was really impressed with the quality of the cabin, it's a huge step up from the F30. The engine is somewhat gutless, but the transmission was smooth as silk. I agree with sickie that the seats are very hard, they're just not very comfortable.

I'm a couple of weeks away from buying but the Volvo is becoming more and more appealing. I'm waiting for some used RX's to come into stock in my local dealer, once I get a look at those I'll make up my mind.

Thanks again.

Master
    Whats the logic for looking at the 530e saloon rather than the touring?

Master
    The F31 is the only one i have experience of and felt it a small car,swapped after a year to a 5 series wagon.

I can comment in an informed way having had a Superb estate and a 530e as my most recent company cars. Practicality and value-wise the Superb wins hands down, has a good range of drive trains including hybrid. I inherited the 530e taking it over from a departing employee, but I’ve been blown away by the drive - performance, ride, handling and refinement are incredible, hands down the best I’ve had in 30 years of driving. Downsides are practicality, legroom is nowhere near as good as Superb, and being a saloon with a reduced capacity boot because of battery it’s tight, they’ve just brought out a Touring version but your talking upper £40Ks list, probably double what a Superb would be. Also factor in winter tyres for the 530e.

Love Volvos but unless they bring out a hybrid at decent lease rates, I’ll be going for a 530e Touring next time round.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Whats the logic for looking at the 530e saloon rather than the touring?

I’m looking to buy second hand and the touring has just been released.