closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Spy? Camera Recommendation

Spy? Camera Recommendation

Nothing sinister but I’m concerned my Mum’s carers aren’t always turning up when they should and I’d like to keep an eye on things.
    I’d like something to record comings and goings - doesn’t have to be video, just snapshot would do. Mum doesn’t have wi-fi so something that records to SD card, is unobtrusive (would probably be hidden in porch) and would run for a week on a charge. Plenty of devices on amazon/eBay but hard to sort wheat from chaff.
    Finally, is what I want to do even legal?

Be up front with them. Install a ring camera.
    It let's you know when they are there and you can even have a conversation with them about your Mum if you need to.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

And its got an 100db siren in case someone else decides to visit her

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Don’t want to install broadband TBH.

Is there any way you could give a neighbour a contribution for access to WiFi? A ring or a Nest camera would be the most convenient option.

If you don’t record outside the property boundaries then GDPR and DPA do not apply. You still need to take due care of recorded images, e.g. no uploading to the internet. Most wildlife cameras will do what you want.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-your-property
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    There are ‘trail cam’ type cameras which run on batteries and record to a card. Just depends if you can put it somewhere unseen. Or be upfront and tell them you’re putting one up for another reason, nuisance door knocking perhaps.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don’t want to install broadband TBH.
    I installed Eufy Wifi cameras battery powered alongwith a mobile wifi router for my dads house. Great solution. Records activity, sends alerts when triggered, can verbally communicate via app through cameras.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W4MY7...aa_scomp_sosp1

PM if you want any further info

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Be up front with them. Install a ring camera.
    It let's you know when they are there and you can even have a conversation with them about your Mum if you need to.
    This is a really good suggestion.

Use an old mobile phone and install Alfred camera .

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

What made you suspicious in the first place?

If you don't want to install broadband then get a cheap phone deal and rig up an old phone to provide a mobile hotspot in a discreet location. You can then use any wifi connected camera.
    Most providers also do a dongle just for this purpose so all you have to do is power a usb connection.

Another recommendation for eufy. Simple to set up and so far, reliable

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    If you don’t record outside the property boundaries then GDPR and DPA do not apply. You still need to take due care of recorded images, e.g. no uploading to the internet. Most wildlife cameras will do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    There are ‘trail cam’ type cameras which run on batteries and record to a card. Just depends if you can put it somewhere unseen. Or be upfront and tell them you’re putting one up for another reason, nuisance door knocking perhaps.
    Thanks, think I'll get one, should be able to fit in front garden okay. If it doesn't work out I'll use it for something else at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    What made you suspicious in the first place?
    Times (and services provided) in their record sheets don't always correspond to the facts. I've been there when they were recorded as being there (and weren't).

Craftsman
    We use moobox wireless cam, highly recommend.

Moobox Wire-Free HD Home Surveillance System for Mobile and Tablet with PIR motion sensor, battery powered security camera, HUB/DVR and Cloud storage. 1 x indoor CCTV Camera Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B8215..._Y4PmFbWDPT57K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Nothing sinister but I’m concerned my Mum’s carers aren’t always turning up when they should and I’d like to keep an eye on things.
    I’d like something to record comings and goings - doesn’t have to be video, just snapshot would do. Mum doesn’t have wi-fi so something that records to SD card, is unobtrusive (would probably be hidden in porch) and would run for a week on a charge. Plenty of devices on amazon/eBay but hard to sort wheat from chaff.
    Finally, is what I want to do even legal?
    However, I find it surprising that they penalize domestic spying. It's a fully safe object. It shouldn't be punished, in my opinion. It's far preferable to have knowledge and to err on the side of caution than to always harbor mistrust, don't you think? That's how I came across this website this , quite recently. I believe that most people ought to give it a shot at least once, if only to unwind.
    Last edited by bobocat; 16th November 2022 at 23:28.

Craftsman

Spy? Camera Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Sorry to be voice of doom, but I’d be cautious of suggestion that GDPR and DPA dissapplied to inside property, particularly as stated reason is not property protection. I’d be inclined to the view that carers likely to have subject access rights.

You’d be well advised to check position with ICO first.

[edited for poor spillung]

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

As someone mentioned above, just use an old iPhone with an app. I’ve used Manything before and you can view from your phone, has motion detection, is silent, records audio and video and is something like £2.50 a month iirc.

Another vote for Ring or similar doorbell camera.

In addition to capturing all comings and goings as requested, it also gives you the option to speak to the person at the door and proactively notifies you to your phone when someone goes past the camera and activates the motion sensor. You'll lose the notification/communication features if you don't sort out an internet connection, but you can still have doorbell cameras that record to a local SD card without internet access.

Another important aspect of this is that doorbell cameras have now become entirely socially acceptable. So with one of these there's no reason to hide it, and if your goal is to ensure the carers turn up then surely it's better off being visible to them that there's a record of their attendance. And if the carers don't do their job correctly and you get in touch with management and point it out based on your ring doorbell clips, that'll probably seem reasonable. If you point it out with your footage from a hidden wildlife trail camera cunningly disguised in a bush, you'll probably seem a tad strange.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobocat View Post
    Well, I did something like that and so far the legislation does not seem to have any complaints to me =)
    Bump was by Bobocat for a 2020 post, chasing the numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk