closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Roofers on the forum for some advice?

Master

Any Roofers on the forum for some advice?

We are currently having a roof on our extension relaid due to creepage on the ridge tiles because the previous builders didn't fit hip irons.

Anyway... roofer is fitting a dry verge system of ridge tiles, but it looks terrible.

Would appreciate some advice from somebody in the trade before the work continues.

Quick pic of 90% finished ridge line:

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Not a roofer, but this is one system - might show where they are going wrong?

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Not a roofer, but this is one system - might show where they are going wrong?

Thanks... I understand the system and how it works, it was more the fact that it is all uneven and not level. Im sure it will remain dry but looks a mess to me.

Just valued a second opinion before he returns tomorrow to finish the other two ridge lines.

Mike 👍

It looks pretty uneven to me too. Perhaps the unevenness is coming from the existing roof tiles, and this is a consequence of using this system on an existing roof?

On the other hand, it might just look odd because we're expect the tiles to be bedded on mortar.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Thanks... I understand the system and how it works, it was more the fact that it is all uneven and not level. Im sure it will remain dry but looks a mess to me.

Just valued a second opinion before he returns tomorrow to finish the other two ridge lines.

Mike 
    Ask him why it's uneven, tell him you're not in love with the aesthetics. Dry ridge can sometimes look uneven on low level extensions.

Im not in the trade but Ive specified dry ridge tile systems and know its not something that just gets toshed in when a previous installation fails. The video that Chris posted is the best way to see how a dry system starts with properly cut tiles and a batten to provide a level base for the ridge or hip tiles. Tell the roofer to start again and do a decent job.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm also no roofer, but looking at the video, the hip tiles are clearly sitting on top of the plastic hip tile support trays (which are nailed with a reasonably straight edge on the hip support batten) - the edge of the support trays are visible running along and under the hip tiles.

On yours, the tiles seems to be resting, or at least touching, the roof tiles and the uneveness is almost inevitable. One of the biggest apparent 'steps' is between the second and third tile up in the first pic and both appear to have their ends on the underlying tiles and a smooth joint is impossible in those circumstances.

So I would be trying to understand exactly what is supporting the hip tiles and why they appear to be touching the roof tiles (assuming the same or similar system to the video is being used).

Master
    Its missing some little cuts as it dissappears under the ridge and its garbage, they haven't battened along the length of the ridge, is it first time they have used it?

I was a roofer for 25 years, long out of the game. Prided myself on nicely pointed verges, hips and ridges. From what I can see from the photos the edge is not accurate? Im old school and dont like this dry system, as you say it looks pretty poor.
    Has the Building Control Officer passed comment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Not a roofer but that looks pretty rough to me and I'd not be happy with it, if only from an aesthetic perspective as reggie says.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I was a roofer for 25 years, long out of the game. Prided myself on nicely pointed verges, hips and ridges. From what I can see from the photos the edge is not accurate? Im old school and dont like this dry system, as you say it looks pretty poor.
    Has the Building Control Officer passed comment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Long story short was that the original work was done approx 6 years ago.... and towards the end of the build they started cutting corners and work got sloppy. So much so we were happy for them to leave and not return.

However recently the ridge tiles have moved and it has caused dampness inside.

We contacted them and have offered to redo the work again.

The roofer is a contractor for them and has been asked to do the work but not directly employed by them.

Think we will definitely need to have a good chat with him when he arrives in the morning.

Thanks all for the input

Mike 👍

Blog Entries
    Looks rubbish. No way would I have that on my house. Even for free.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    Looks like a quick job that a contractor would do when directed to fix something as cheaply as possible, i.e they've been given a day to do the job including travel.

There's no real finish you'd put in if you were awaiting payment, no adhesion of the underlayers, no evening up, it's been slapped on quick and i'd say i wouldn't be putting a pressure washer anywhere near that!

Also, have a look at those cracks developing in the darker two rows of bricks under the window, just spent the last couple of weeks going round redoing damaged mortar on my ones!

Thats a shocking job, Id get him to take them off and do it again or even better get someone else in, if that is the standard they are working to, youd always be worried about damp coming back in.

Master
    Im not an expert but presumably the problem is the original roof. He cant make the ridge tiles flat unless the actual tiles are without a lot of work that he may not be, being paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Im not an expert but presumably the problem is the original roof. He cant make the ridge tiles flat unless the actual tiles are without a lot of work that he may not be, being paid for.
    Possibly not. But the misalignment is shocking and he should point it out himself to the OP and say "this is like this because of (insert appropriate reason)", and explain what he would need to do in order to rectify it.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Possibly not. But the misalignment is shocking and he should point it out himself to the OP and say "this is like this because of (insert appropriate reason)", and explain what he would need to do in order to rectify it.

I agree its not acceptable. But I wonder if the original roof needs adjusting, which the original builder should presumably be responsible for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I agree its not acceptable. But I wonder if the original roof needs adjusting, which the original builder should presumably be responsible for.
    It almost certainly is the original roof or the previous roofers work at fault, but the present roofer should be able to have seen this would be the outcome without retro repairs being carried out.
    Following this thread with interest as my house roof is currently having loads of work carried out on it and I'm keeping an eagle eye on the job.

Any update on this......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    Any update on this......
    We asked for job to be redone and Im pleased to say that it is now complete. Not perfect, but considerably better than before.

Thanks all for the words of advice - much appreciated

Mike 👍

We asked for job to be redone and Im pleased to say that it is now complete. Not perfect, but considerably better than before.

Mike 
    Glad you got it sorted Mike 👍🏻

Mike 👍
    If you are happy, then it's a good outcome. Glad to hear it.