closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home energy during COVID - hefty increase?

Home energy during COVID - hefty increase?

Afternoon TZers,

It's coming around to tariff renewal time, so I've been working out our usage.

Comparing March to June, 2019 to 2020, our electricity usage on average +74% (range +55% to +99%). I expected an increase, but not quite that much!

I'd not considered the tax breaks for working from home until now, so shall be investigating given I am unlikely to return to the office until 2021.

How are others faring with this?

I had noticed a huge/similar increase from March to end of June on previous year.
    It's just a matter of time...

Claim the fixed allowance seems like a reasonable thing to do especially if filling in self assessment anyhow. On the other hand we are saving c£150x2 a month on not commuting, plus a few lunches ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Claim the fixed allowance seems like a reasonable thing to do especially if filling in self assessment anyhow. On the other hand we are saving c£150x2 a month on not commuting, plus a few lunches ...
    Whats the fixed allowance?

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Whats the fixed allowance?
    £6 a week (edited)
    Last edited by jonasy; 10th August 2020 at 18:23.

Master
    Per day? I was under the impression that was per week? I hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    Per day? I was under the impression that was per week? I hope I am wrong.
    ! You are or course correct sir, I blame the heat wave ..

Master
    You get the tax back on £6 so £1.20 or £2.40 depending on your tax bracket.

Craftsman
    My bill has also gone up for this time of year but usually i would rarely be in the house.

Throw in a couple of weeks when you’d be on holiday, maybe a business trip. I estimate between now and March I’ve probably been the house 5/6 weeks longer than I would have been otherwise.
    The marginal extra electricity use is probably only 10-15 a month?

Then factor in commuting saving, time saved going to work and lunches. Surely you’re still up overall?

I'm very much up purely in times of commuting costs plus lack of money spend on well.. anything. That plus the extra hour in bed in the morning makes the numbers add up for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I'm very much up purely in times of commuting costs plus lack of money spend on well.. anything. That plus the extra hour in bed in the morning makes the numbers add up for me.
    Exactly, I’m not spending £130 each week to commute. No way I’m using more than that in bills. Can’t believe anyone is out of pocket working from home.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can't think how anyone could get a 74% increase over the summer? We've run two hefty spec PCs every day and a TV all day for the little man but it's been warm enough that the lack of Gas use for heating means we've got a £90 credit on the account so far.

We'll both claim the allowance but I expect we'll be well up from the saved fuel costs.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 11th August 2020 at 16:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Can't think how anyone could get a 74% increase over the summer? We've run two hefty spec PCs every day and a TV all day for the little man but it's been warm enough that the lack of Gas use for heating means we've got a £90 credit on the account so far.

We'll both claim the allowance but I expect we'll be well up from the saved fuel costs.
    I fan see big increase possible. House usually empty during day, now heavy computer use in daytime, kettle used all day, all meals cooked at home, not going out, more time spent home in evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Fortunate enough to be able to walk to work, and usually took food in, hence nothing to 'gain' with those not occurring. I am not forgetting that I've not had to deal with a commute or getting up earlier than desired for a good few years! This increased energy usage is a marginal issue in the long scheme of things, but thought it interesting to see quantified.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    You get the tax back on £6 so £1.20 or £2.40 depending on your tax bracket.
    That's very useful to know, thank you
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 11th August 2020 at 16:33.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post

It depends what the rise is from and to IMHO e.g. £30 to £52 is a 73% increase.