closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is This Close to a Period-Correct Strap for the Air Ministry?

Apprentice

Is This Close to a Period-Correct Strap for the Air Ministry?

Hi all, long-time reader/first-time poster here.

I just received my first Timefactors watch this week: the PRS29-AM and it's quite a gem.

Thanks to Eddie for swapping out the default black strap with the grey one—I think the grey complements the subtle hues of the dial very well. Also grateful for the quick turnaround. Based on maths, it looks like Eddie's going above his daily fulfillment quota.

Given my sub-15cm wrist, I'm struggling with the long lugs of this watch. My sweetspot is 33mm width by around 40mm long. Using a passthrough strap like the NATO helps as it visually continues the sweep of the lugs. With a two-piece band the lugs protrude because of the sharp almost 90˚ bend at the spring bar.

I was surprised by the NATO that came with the watch. The waffle-like weave of the nylon, the Parkerized(?) hardware, and the overall finish are top quality. However while the strap looks great and while it does help fill out my wrist, it's a bit anachronistic and contemporary-looking.

I looked into the type of straps that were originally paired with these watches but couldn't find anything definitive. I read they originally used one- or two-piece pigskin straps with no-taper. But to my eyes the PRS29-AM is closer to the '56 re-cased versions and I couldn't find more strap info on those.

So what I ended up with is basically a leather RAF strap: a no-taper, one-piece leather strap with the rough-side out and a keeper that is the same width as the strap. I couldn't even find when the nylon RAF straps were first issued so I went with leather to bridge the 40s and 60s. I think its close enough and in the spirit of the period but does anyone have insight to provide?

Thanks all. And sorry I went OCD.

Attachment 18117

Attachment 18118
    Last edited by Cabalu; 9th August 2020 at 20:03. Reason: Stuff

Master
    Blog Entries
    it looks quite good but the keeper is rather bulky,I like the colour.
    Personally I prefer a thinner leather 2 piece that tapers but lots of straps look good on it..

Is This Close to a Period-Correct Strap for the Air Ministry?

Lovely looking colour, personally I find something a bit lighter in bulk (and 2 piece) suits the style of this watch, but as you say it doesn’t wear as well as it does with a pass through strap due to the lug length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TheGent; 10th August 2020 at 06:53.

The band is a period late 1930's example with original Staybrite buckle (non of this nasty new stuff here)...
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/omeg...ndition.25504/
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Craftsman
    I’m quite interested in what might be a period correct strap for this style of watch.

I’ve been wearing mine on a variety of NATO straps recently, but have just ordered a two piece dark brown pigskin strap. I’ll post a picture when the strap turns up, hopefully this week.

Apprentice
    Thanks guys. I decided to convert the strap to a two-piece with very little skiving around the spring bars. The thickness fills up the gap between the strap and the case but more importantly smooths out the transition between the lug and the strap around my skinny wrist. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabalu View Post
    ....Works for me.
    Cool. Can you give us a picture of the back please?
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

A bonklip.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

The band is a period late 1930's example with original Staybrite buckle (non of this nasty new stuff here)...
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/omeg...ndition.25504/
    Thats a really lovely watch. Is it a Dennison 13322 case? The strap looks great too.

Edit: should have clicked the link first and seen for myself it's a 13322.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Cool. Can you give us a picture of the back please?
    Here you are...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthpunk View Post
    A bonklip.
    Nice! Is than a vintage or a current bonklip?

Its a NOS 16mm one. I think its made by ‘CW’. It hasnt got the clever locking clasp design of a true Bonklip, its got the cheaper link displacement version. I think i got it for 20£ on ebay a year or two back.

Craftsman
    So this is the Fluco brown pigskin strap I ordered recently:

It's not bad, but one of the drawbacks of a two piece strap is the gap you get between the end of the strap and the case, due to the position of the drilled lugs.

Hi all, long-time reader/first-time poster here...

Although not likely to be an issued option - bund-style straps have long been popular options in-service because they keep a potentially ice-cold piece of metal away from your skin (useful e.g. in an unheated cockpit), and also would have stopped base-metal watch cases and backs from corroding and irritating the skin:

Suggesting it because it will also balance-out your long-lug issue. You could have something made to order from pigskin for a little more authenticity, and in exactly your size.

Hi all, long-time reader/first-time poster here.

I just received my first Timefactors watch this week: the PRS29-AM and it's quite a gem.

Thanks to Eddie for swapping out the default black strap with the grey one—I think the grey complements the subtle hues of the dial very well. Also grateful for the quick turnaround. Based on maths, it looks like Eddie's going above his daily fulfillment quota.

Given my sub-15cm wrist, I'm struggling with the long lugs of this watch. My sweetspot is 33mm width by around 40mm long. Using a passthrough strap like the NATO helps as it visually continues the sweep of the lugs. With a two-piece band the lugs protrude because of the sharp almost 90˚ bend at the spring bar.

I was surprised by the NATO that came with the watch. The waffle-like weave of the nylon, the Parkerized(?) hardware, and the overall finish are top quality. However while the strap looks great and while it does help fill out my wrist, it's a bit anachronistic and contemporary-looking.

I looked into the type of straps that were originally paired with these watches but couldn't find anything definitive. I read they originally used one- or two-piece pigskin straps with no-taper. But to my eyes the PRS29-AM is closer to the '56 re-cased versions and I couldn't find more strap info on those.

So what I ended up with is basically a leather RAF strap: a no-taper, one-piece leather strap with the rough-side out and a keeper that is the same width as the strap. I couldn't even find when the nylon RAF straps were first issued so I went with leather to bridge the 40s and 60s. I think its close enough and in the spirit of the period but does anyone have insight to provide?

Thanks all. And sorry I went OCD.

Attachment 18117

Attachment 18118

Where did this strap come from?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Where did this strap come from?

Eddie
    Hi Eddie, it's homemade. I had to learn some crude leather-craft because of my skinny wrists and my preference for a 14mm taper.

Plus I think straps with just one or two holes on it look absolutely classy.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Although not likely to be an issued option - bund-style straps have long been popular options in-service... Suggesting it because it will also balance-out your long-lug issue. You could have something made to order from pigskin for a little more authenticity, and in exactly your size.
    Hmmm... I'll have to see if I can pull off the look. Would it be a bit ironic though since—correct me if I'm wrong—the bund strap has German roots at least in etymology?

Master
    Hi Eddie, it's homemade. I had to learn some crude leather-craft because of my skinny wrists and my preference for a 14mm taper.

It looks really good - that's quite a useful skill to have 😎👍

Hmmm... I'll have to see if I can pull off the look. Would it be a bit ironic though since—correct me if I'm wrong—the bund strap has German roots at least in etymology?
    Well-done on the strap manufacture. Maybe prototype with some bits of card, just to see how it looks and feels on-wrist?

I'd assume "bund" has German origins, it seems to be interchangeable with "band" in some contexts.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthpunk View Post
    A bonklip.
    The strap is cool and the watch is great, but I think the long lugs leave too much gap between the case and the bracelet

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Well-done on the strap manufacture. Maybe prototype with some bits of card, just to see how it looks and feels on-wrist?

I'd assume "bund" has German origins, it seems to be interchangeable with "band" in some contexts.
    In this context ‘bund’ has the connotation of ‘state’ like Bundesliga and Bundeswehr. This type of strap was supposedly first issued to German pilots.

Quote Originally Posted by lexminute View Post
    The strap is cool and the watch is great, but I think the long lugs leave too much gap between the case and the bracelet
    Oh but i like that... short lugs is one of my pet peeves on the speedbird. Im looking forward to the Navigator for just that reason... horses for courses.