closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bicompax Feedback Please

Bicompax Feedback Please

So I'm looking to buy a Bicompax upto say £700.00 or under. I can go a little higher but would prefer not to unless I sell another watch.

I have 2 already which are both with ST19 movement's one is a Mercer Lexington Bicompax Panda and the other is just a Merkur Pierre Paulin reverse panda but I am looking for another and would welcome some suggestions please.

I did have Eddie's PRS-5 with the ST19 and even after 5-6 year's it was looking and running perfectly. Totally regret selling it.

I like the Hamilton H76456435 so maybe something along thoes lines but not limited to that look.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

For the sake of clarity (and to give @Sweets a day off) what you're referring to is actually a uni-compax, with two subdials. "Bi-compax" doesn't really exist - at least in the UG universe, where the terms "invented" - even if it's been kind of adopted within the modern horological glossary.

I think the precise nomenclature is as follows:

1. Uni-compax = two subdials
    2. Compax = three subdials
    3. Tri-compax = four subdials

It's a bit confusing, and (for purposes of pedantry) I think that, technically, it actually refers to the number of complications as opposed to the number of subdials. Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but it's all quite interesting to a proper watch nerd.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 9th August 2020 at 08:24.

Hahaha OK thank you for that.
    In simple term's I will go for the adopted version it makes life easier for me lol.

PS
    I forgot to add 40mm to 43mm would be ideal as I find anything smaller just dosn't look right on my wrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    For the sake of clarity (and to give Sweets a day off) what you're referring to is actually a uni-compax, with two subdials. "Bi-compax" doesn't really exist - at least in the UG universe - even if it's been kind of adopted within the modern horological glossary.

3. Tri-compax - four subdials

It's a bit confusing, and I think (for purposes of pedantry) that, technically, it actually refers to the number of complications as opposed to the number of subdials. Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but it's all quite interesting to a proper watch nerd.

I think that the battle for the purists is lost, with so many brands now referring to 'bi-compax' for any two subdial timepiece and even sticking it on the dial. It's not the end of the world but it tends to confuse matters, and exacerbates 'tri-compax' being misused to refer to a watch with three subdials.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Take a look at Baltic watches.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

There's plenty of interesting Russian watches to be had with the Poljot 3133 movement inside. The Ocean and Strela are both classics and can be had for well under your budget. Poljot24.de has a decent selection if you want to see more but they are expensive. Be wary as there are plenty of fakes out there - fake Oceans actually outnumber real ones...

I have but to be honest £600.00 to 700.00 isn't what I want to pay for an ST19 movement. Don't get me wrong they are very nice watches and well made but just a bit pricey for what they are.
    I do like the Aquascaphe tho. The Blue gilt is cracking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    Take a look at Baltic watches.

I sold this 43mm Eberhard on Sales Corner for £700 earlier this year. You're almost at 50 posts to see the wonders (and shoes) within!

edit - I think it's still for sale with someone else now for a bargain price of £550.
    Last edited by Lampoc; 9th August 2020 at 08:56.

I like the Sterla & Poljot watches but even Sterla are putting the ST19 in them now.
    I have actually been looking at quite a few of thoes models but so far nothing that catches my eye but for the right one I would certainly consider one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    There's plenty of interesting Russian watches to be had with the Poljot 3133 movement inside. The Ocean and Strela are both classics and can be had for well under your budget. Poljot24.de has a decent selection if you want to see more but they are expensive. Be wary as there are plenty of fakes out there - fake Oceans actually outnumber real ones...

Nice watch. But even at 50 post's it's a case of look but can't touch lol.
    It will be nice to see what is going tho.
    I sold this 43mm Eberhard on Sales Corner for just over £700 earlier this year. You're almost at 50 posts to see the wonders (and shoes) within!

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    I like the Sterla & Poljot watches but even Sterla are putting the ST19 in them now.
    Yes it's shame about the ST19s in the newest Strelas. Being a Russian watch snob (there is such a thing) I personally would never buy a Russian watch with a Chinese movement inside.

But even at 50 post's it's a case of look but can't touch lol.
    Eh? You can buy at 50 posts. You can't sell until you hit 250.

Yes it's shame about the ST19s in the newest Strelas. Being a Russian watch snob (there is such a thing) I personally would never buy a Russian watch with a Chinese movement inside.

Eh? You can buy at 50 posts. You can't sell until you hit 250.
    OHH :) even better.

I just bookmarked a couple Poljot 3133 on eBay that look good & around the £400 mark but the seller is away until the 17th so I can wait,

OHH :) even better.

I just bookmarked a couple Poljot 3133 on eBay that look good & around the £400 mark but the seller is away until the 17th so I can wait,
    If you need any 3133 advice please feel free to ask - it's a veritable minefield of crap on eBay and there is a LOT of junk out there just waiting to catch out the Russian watch noob. Especially Poljot Oceans.

If you need any 3133 advice please feel free to ask - it's a veritable minefield of crap on eBay and there is a LOT of junk out there just waiting to catch out the Russian watch noob. Especially Poljot Oceans.
    Will do thank's I will maybe ask for you're opinion on the one's i'm looking at around the 17th if that's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    For the sake of clarity (and to give @Sweets a day off) what you're referring to is actually a uni-compax, with two subdials. "Bi-compax" doesn't really exist - at least in the UG universe, where the terms "invented" - even if it's been kind of adopted within the modern horological glossary.

3. Tri-compax = four subdials

It's a bit confusing, and (for purposes of pedantry) I think that, technically, it actually refers to the number of complications as opposed to the number of subdials. Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but it's all quite interesting to a proper watch nerd.
    Thank you for saving the me the time Tony.

No battle is lost when it comes to the correct terminology.
    Universal invented the terms, they set the definitions. Regardless whether some people get it wrong, properly informed people should get it right....
    Otherwise we may as well give up and refer to this type of chronometer as Bi-compax, as opposed to a Uni-Compax chronograph (or 2 register). The correct terms matter.
    D

So it's a case of old terminology Vs new terminology?

Just looking about it seems like you say Unicompax and so on references the number of complications where as from what I can see Bi-Compax & Tri-Compax refers to the number of registers.

I'm not saying who's right & who's wrong but it seem's they have different meaning.

As someone who freely admit's I by no means an expert in horology but it's an old wording VS new meaning argument but what they refer to is different I guess.

/waits for the slaps

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=sickie;5500018]I like the Sterla & Poljot watches but even Sterla are putting the ST19 in them now.
    I have actually been looking at quite a few of thoes models but so far nothing that catches my eye but for the right one I would certainly consider one.

What is that telemeter scale on the Ocean chrono pictured? Doesn't appear to be calibrated for Kilometres, Miles (obviously)

or any of the pre-revolutionary Russian units. If anyone has a manual and can speak Russian I'd love to know.

So it's a case of old terminology Vs new terminology?

Just looking about it seems like you say Unicompax and so on references the number of complications where as from what I can see Bi-Compax & Tri-Compax refers to the number of registers.

I'm not saying who's right & who's wrong but it seem's they have different meaning.

As someone who freely admit's I by no means an expert in horology but it's an old wording VS new meaning argument but what they refer to is different I guess.

/waits for the slaps
    https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Compax

Very good explanation.
    I guess it's a purists thing but I can understand both side's of the argument. Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Baltic do a two-register chronograph within your price range, ST19 powered. They do refer to it as bicompax, but if you can stomach the terminalogical inexactitude it might be worth a look.
    https://baltic-watches.com/en/collections/bicompax-001

Lorier Gemini?

All sold out but some available on eBay, though charging over-retail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vapaus Vorcut is worth a look - several colourways, all a little out of the ordinary - all really depends on whether you're a quartz snob (it is at least a Seiko VK64 Meca-quartz):

Dreyfuss 1925 is nice if somewhat overlooked -

Tissot T100.427.16.051.00 is a handsome thing:

[QUOTE=earlofsodbury;5500661]Vapaus Vorcut is worth a look - several colourways, all a little out of the ordinary - all really depends on whether you're a quartz snob (it is at least a Seiko VK64 Meca-quartz):

Ah, yes! The VK64 opens even more options... the nezumi Loews is a good looking watch if not too similar to the Mercer the OP already had

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Vapaus Vorcut is worth a look - several colourways, all a little out of the ordinary - all really depends on whether you're a quartz snob (it is at least a Seiko VK64 Meca-quartz):

Dreyfuss 1925 is nice if somewhat overlooked -

Tissot T100.427.16.051.00 is a handsome thing:

Those Vapaus Vorcut are very nice indeed but I can't get away with 38mm it's just too small for me

The Tissot I have already looked at but I believe it's 44mm & maybe just a little large. 40 to 43mm is perfect.

The Dreyfuss is nice also but I'm not stuck on the Blue coloring.
    Last edited by sickie; 10th August 2020 at 06:15.

Very nice but yeah it looks exactly the same as the Mercer. [QUOTE=Idontgram;5500671]
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

Ah, yes! The VK64 opens even more options... the nezumi Loews is a good looking watch if not too similar to the Mercer the OP already had

The Baltic & Lorier again are very nice watches but I'm not going to pay 6-£700.00 for an ST19 movement. It just dosn't make sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
    Baltic do a two-register chronograph within your price range, ST19 powered. They do refer to it as bicompax, but if you can stomach the terminalogical inexactitude it might be worth a look.
    https://baltic-watches.com/en/collections/bicompax-001
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Lorier Gemini?

All sold out but some available on eBay, though charging over-retail.

Their is one watch which I would love to get my hands on and Strangely enough it has an ST19 in it.
    It is the Marloe Lomond but they don't make them any more & I have never seen one come up for sale.

Also I am not averse to Quart watches so vk64 and such like are fine. But 40mm and above is better suited to me.

Last edited by sickie; 10th August 2020 at 06:13.

Quote Originally Posted by procrustes View Post
    What is that telemeter scale on the Ocean chrono pictured? Doesn't appear to be calibrated for Kilometres, Miles (obviously) or any of the pre-revolutionary Russian units. If anyone has a manual and can speak Russian I'd love to know.
    The Okeah was originally a Soviet Navy watch so the telemetry scale is in nautical miles.

I like this but would need to sell a watch to go towards it

Last edited by sickie; 10th August 2020 at 07:10.

It looks like you and I are looking for a similar style of watch. I’m keen to replace the chronograph lost to a crazy ex but don’t want to spend much beyond £500, so a Fortis B42 is currently not on the list. The 3133 driven chronographs are attractive but finding out if they are Russian or Chinese is tricky and finding something 42mm and above is proving to be a challenge.

Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    It looks like you and I are looking for a similar style of watch. I’m keen to replace the chronograph lost to a crazy ex but don’t want to spend much beyond £500, so a Fortis B42 is currently not on the list. The 3133 driven chronographs are attractive but finding out if they are Russian or Chinese is tricky and finding something 42mm and above is proving to be a challenge.

I might of found a winner.

Just been searching about and found a Zodiac Grandrally ZO9600. It's a Quartz but looks fantastic. They do many different versions but this one and the Z09604 are very nice indeed.

Still going to have a good look about today

Last edited by sickie; 10th August 2020 at 11:09.

If you could go a bit more I would be looking at Hamilton auto chrono's.

Great value for money.

This can be had for £1058.

https://www.watchshop.com/watches/me...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I've had many Hamiltons and fully agree.

The H76456435 or H76456955 are ideal and I can find then for around £650 to £700 but from the USA so import taxes would be added and at around £900.00 I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I only say that because if I did decide to sell it on. At £750.00 I wouldn't lose much but at £900.00 it would be a gamble.

I also like the Jazzmaster chronograph H32616553 or the 6533.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    If you could go a bit more I would be looking at Hamilton auto chrono's.

Great value for money.

This can be had for £1058.

https://www.watchshop.com/watches/me...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Journeyman
    The Okeah was originally a Soviet Navy watch so the telemetry scale is in nautical miles.
    Thanks Lampoc!

Master
    Pretty sure this is the only two register chronograph I’ve ever had:

I love a two register.

Cheers,
    Neil.

I sold one on Chrono24 for a low price and it had 3 Year's Longines Warranty because they took nearly 3 months to service it :s

Only reason I sold it was because I was so ticked off with Longines lol. And as much as I love the Heritage range those boxes are a ridiculous size.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdHughes1 View Post
    Pretty sure this is the only two register chronograph I’ve ever had:

I've had many Hamiltons and fully agree.

The H76456435 or H76456955 are ideal and I can find then for around £650 to £700 but from the USA so import taxes would be added and at around £900.00 I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I only say that because if I did decide to sell it on. At £750.00 I wouldn't lose much but at £900.00 it would be a gamble.

I also like the Jazzmaster chronograph H32616553 or the 6533.

Somebody say Hamilton?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I love a two register.
    Aiiiiiiiiiieeeee

You can still pick up a decent 3017 for less than a monkey

Have a look at watchgecko.com
    They've a range of st19 (from £299) and Seiko mecaquartz (from £199). Some look very nice.

Yeah I have looked at them and to be honest I don't see anything that catches my eye. Some nice one's but not for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    Have a look at watchgecko.com
    They've a range of st19 (from £299) and Seiko mecaquartz (from £199). Some look very nice.

[QUOTE=Mr Curta;5501203]Aiiiiiiiiiieeeee

You can still pick up a decent 3017 for less than a monkey

Yep I do like them but to small for my wrist unfortunately.

I think this is an excellent option in mecaquartz

Just looking on there website and I like the Bellwether.
    They also have 20% off today.

Some really nice watches.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think this is an excellent option in mecaquartz

Undone Type 20

OK So I have just bought the Undone Type 20 from eBay and at £235.00 I think it looks great. I will change the strap tho.

I might also buy the Panda version after I have received the current one if it's as good as it looks.

Edit: After looking at a few more they do a nice Speedy with a VK61 flyback.

Last edited by sickie; 11th August 2020 at 13:56.

Zodiac Grandrally

Just bought this so I got 2 for just under £500 with the Undone. I don't normally buy quartz but they look so nice.

:EDIT:

forget this one.
    I bought it on Chrono24 from a dealer which includes (scope of delivery) With original box and Original paper's.

6 hrs later I get a message saying the box and papers won't be delivered until the end of summer but even that's not certain. I was like what the hell.
    Apparently a certificate would come with it from Zodiac but nothing else or at least possibly a few month's later the box and warranty card.

CANCELLED.

Last edited by sickie; 12th August 2020 at 17:31.