closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Heat wave

Blog Entries

2020 Heat wave

After the scorching 2018 summer, The Highest-Ever-Recorded day temperature here (40+ C) in 2019, we’re now heading for The- Longest-Period-of-Tropical (30+ C) Days.

And, 30+ is beaten by 35+ every day...

If you want to have an airco installed in your house, you’ll have to wait until February 2021. The order books are completely full. Same goes for sunscreens and blinds!

It’s 6:25 AM at the moment. I’m taking my bike for a ride. Temp is a modest 22C at the moment...

Nowhere near that up here in the NE of Scotland.

Just checked the forecast for the next week and we're going to be 17-20C.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Phew what a scorcher!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    I’ve walked into the office for the aircon. Dyson fans just don’t cut it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went for a run this morning (Uitgeestermeer) - hot and sticky!

I'm dreading having to go into central London on a commuter train this week. Southeastern trains tend to be the sort that replaced the slam-door variety, and they get hotter than a Turkish wrestler's jockstrap.

Never been so grateful for the North / South divide. It was 21/22 degrees tops yesterday on the Wirral and it was pleasantly cool last night, I was even shutting windows. I watched the news and said to the wife, look at those poor buggers down South, 35 degrees, they can keep it.

Even fresher today, lovely weather for a long walk.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I was laying marker buoys around the west pier off Brighton this week, 35c temp and the ground gear was a train wheel and some heavy stud link chain, hot as hell moving that round the deck!!!

Master
    I have a plastic storage box in the garden and the heat has melted the glue and caused the lid to peel apart. I'll be complaining as it's only a few months old but in this heat its almost understandable

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Heat wave lol. I know someone from Australia and in our Summer she walks around with a big coat on complaining the UK is cold as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Never been so grateful for the North / South divide. It was 21/22 degrees tops yesterday on the Wirral and it was pleasantly cool last night, I was even shutting windows. I watched the news and said to the wife, look at those poor buggers down South, 35 degrees, they can keep it.

Even fresher today, lovely weather for a long walk.
    +1 to that!! I like the weather to be warm, but this is pleasant enough up here...

My brother in law lives in Portugal and twice last week was surrounded by forest fires which completely destroyed two of his neighbours crops and trees. Because of the heat and fires he's had to construct a safe room underground which he has used in times of emergency, including this week when the only two roads to his area were both blocked by forest fires, so escape by road wasn't an option.

I said he was mad moving out there and year on year the situation gets worse as it gets hotter and hotter, he even had trouble trying to keep his hens alive this year in the heat they have been experiencing. Here in Devon, by the sea it's a pleasantly warm day and if it gets too warm the sea is close by for a dip .......

No fear of that here. I cut the grass this morning for the first time in weeks as we’ve never had two dry days for ages. Grass was soaking this morning. More rain and storms scheduled this week when I’m on my summer leave.

I wouldn’t want heat like you’ve got but also can’t bear this sh*t weather here.

Master
    Unbearable for us "oldies"

Blog Entries
    I rode the bike from 6:30 until 8:30. A carefully chosen route through the forrest, avoiding bike paths along meadows and heathlands... 31C currently and climbing. But I have the idea that it feels less hot than yesterday. My wife is outside in the garden, in the shade, busy sewing a dress or blouse. I call it The Sweatshop. Perhaps it's the result of her NGO-days in India and Afghanistan that have made her immune for this kind of heat.

M.

Pretty roasting down here so I do gardening stuff and take Dot out in the morning.

Spend the afternoon in the north side of the house as it is lovely and cool.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    My first time in Glasgow yesterday...red hot. Great place too.

Just back from a lunchtime cycle ride and it feels way hotter than the 27c temperature the Met office is showing. Time to replenish lost fluids with a cool ruby ale.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    35c outside temp, 30c pool temp, a chilled draft beer and world snooker on the iPad in the shade. Perfect.

Perfect indeed - enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    35c outside temp, 30c pool temp, a chilled draft beer and world snooker on the iPad in the shade. Perfect.

We were still lovely and sunny up here today, just nowhere near the hot temperatures.
    Pretty idyllic to be honest.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    We were still lovely and sunny up here today, just nowhere near the hot temperatures.
    Pretty idyllic to be honest.

Where is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Where is that?
    Stonehaven, 15 miles south of Aberdeen.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Stonehaven, 15 miles south of Aberdeen.

Ah, does not often look like that.

Not too far from there to nip to the Hawthorn pub for a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Ah, does not often look like that.

Not too far from there to nip to the Hawthorn pub for a pint.

Can't do that, they're locked down....

Master
    Loving it. Spent the morning in Canterbury then back home for the afternoon. Most of the advantages of the Riviera without the crowds.

Very odd weather here in North Norfolk - cool and breezy at the coast, hot a few miles inland during the day but come early evening, we had mist and apparently a ‘sea fret’ which has left salt all over the windows - and we live over 10 miles from the coast, very peculiar! Not remotely hot now, even though the current forecast says it is. We’ve not really had a consistent spell of warm sunny weather since about 6 weeks across April and May when it was amazing - but this year has to be tho least consistent summer I’ve known in years

Grand Master
    The heat and humidity on Friday night brought on a Stinking migraine that hasn’t abated properly yet, normally I work across the weekend but I’ve lost 20 hours work due to this, haven’t been able to sleep a wink
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    haven’t been able to sleep a wink
    A decent fan blasting directly at me all night does the trick and I sleep like a baby.

Without a fan I wouldn’t sleep a wink.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    A decent fan blasting directly at me all night does the trick and I sleep like a baby.

Without a fan I wouldn’t sleep a wink.
    Ditto.

Also I find the fan noise is quite soothing.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Our back garden faces east so gets the sunrise and morning sun....well in theory anyway.

I was up early and out with the dog as usual. It was cold but fair enough, it was early. Before we head out for breakfast I thought I'd have half an hour sitting in the garden. Wrong. I couldn't take more than 15 minutes before having to come in for a shower to warm up.

If you're having good weather then enjoy it, we had a few nice days in May and nothing since.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

The fan also gives temporary relief from my wife's snoring.

Anyway, moan all winter and moan all summer - it's the British way.

FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The fan also gives temporary relief from my wife's snoring.

Anyway, moan all winter and moan all summer - it's the North East Weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Ditto.

We have to have a fan in the bedroom all year round now, originally for the heatwave 15 years or so ago, now I can’t sleep without the noise, I used to get very funny looks from hotels when I would ask for a fan in November, I usually just take one with me now.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Our back garden faces east so gets the sunrise and morning sun....well in theory anyway.

I was up early and out with the dog as usual. It was cold but fair enough, it was early. Before we head out for breakfast I thought I'd have half an hour sitting in the garden. Wrong. I couldn't take more than 15 minutes before having to come in for a shower to warm up.

If you're having good weather then enjoy it, we had a few nice days in May and nothing since.
    This is not good weather, it is oppressive. Happy to trade for something 20F cooler.

The bedrooms are all over 80F all though the night.

It was 77F at 10pm last night sitting on the garden, and currently 93F in the garden shade, and the mercury is still climbing in my part of NE Surrey.

Went to the coast (Chichester Harbour) yesterday to get away from the heat and to enjoy a see breeze. Off to the coast again tomorrow for additional relief.

Thank god I have a week off, as I couldn’t WFH in this weather.

Master
    My mesh network died yesterday, so my cool office has been replaced with a dining room attached to the conservatory. 33C and climbing. It is the only other room with a table & WiFi doesn’t reach the office without the mesh.

It’s a 4 bed detached, not a mansion but think they build the back half of the house with lead as WiFi just won’t penetrate beyond the conservatory. Never worked out why!

Aside, Amazon have been great and replacing the orbi units for free despite 14-15 months old.

I'm down in Rye at the moment. I love mooching round the old place but it ain't half hot!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Funny you should mention AC, our newly installed AC unit in our bedroom listed 24 hrs before the Condensate Pump died!

Luckily we’ve escaped to the South of NL for a week and are staying in a nice hotel with AC. Out on our bikes today we were happy to encounter several of these:

Most refreshing....

Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
    Samuel Johnson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Funny you should mention AC, our newly installed AC unit in our bedroom listed 24 hrs before the Condensate Pump died!

Luckily we’ve escaped to the South of NL for a week and are staying in a nice hotel with AC. Out on our bikes today we were happy to encounter several of these:

Most refreshing....

Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
    Samuel Johnson

Well, as long as it lasts... in some parts of the country, there’s a ban on pumping water from the canals due to the low level of water needed for human consumption.

This afternoon and evening an apocalyptic thunderstorm front hit a large part of the country. Despite that storm, the heat will be back again tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    T-storms building around me while I’m writing this from a garden chair on the patio. No drops - yet. I suppose it will start within minutes!
    Last edited by thieuster; 14th August 2020 at 10:31.

Some biblical rain this afternoon in Cambridgeshire, bloody lovely it was too, still raining now with constant rumbles of thunder, still quite warm but so much better than yesterday
    Cheers..
    Jase

Skew-wiff. Thank goodness that week of hell is now behind us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forecast for here doesn’t give us a day without cloud and rain until September. Yet another joke of a so-called summer. It was nice in 2003 and 2015.

Went to watch my Grandson's football match this morning and thankfully was a light drizzle all the way through.

Still very warm though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    11th day of the heatwave. Not as hot as it was earlier this week, still hitting the 30s. Thunderstorms on their way.

I’m standing in the garden waiting for the dog to have a wee and it’s bloody freezing. Honestly I’m shivering. The wind is howling and the place is soaked.

Roll on next summer when hopefully we can get away for some sun, COVID permitting.

Grand Master
    I’m standing in the garden waiting for the dog to have a wee and it’s bloody freezing. Honestly I’m shivering. The wind is howling and the place is soaked.

Roll on next summer when hopefully we can get away for some sun, COVID permitting.
    all windows open here it's mafting!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

So I’ve reached day 14 of my summer leave and there hasn’t been a nice day yet. It’s currently absolutely pissing down to the point where the garden is flooded....again. I have a week left before returning to work and the forecast is for rain every day.

We’ve literally not been anywhere as the forecast has been awful throughout and who wants to pack the car up and drive somewhere just to get wet? I really feel for the kids as they’ve been at home for six months now and are sick of the sight of the house.

Thoroughly depressed. It’s barely been dry since May.

So I’ve reached day 14 of my summer leave and there hasn’t been a nice day yet. It’s currently absolutely pissing down to the point where the garden is flooded....again. I have a week left before returning to work and the forecast is for rain every day.

We’ve literally not been anywhere as the forecast has been awful throughout and who wants to pack the car up and drive somewhere just to get wet? I really feel for the kids as they’ve been at home for six months now and are sick of the sight of the house.

Thoroughly depressed. It’s barely been dry since May.
    After 14 days, and with only 7 left, invest in some waterproofs and get out there. It can still be fun and has to be better than locking yourself away for another week.

41c