closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tyre dressing - back to black

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Tyre dressing - back to black

Any recommendations fir a tyre dressing to restore black colour to tyres?

Looking for an easy to use, easy to apply type product.

Had a look online but the myriad of products available is bewildering, to me anyway.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman
    These guys and their products are great - they have a Matt or shiny dressing

https://anachem-automotive.com/colle...exterior-range

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I use Autoglym Bumper Care. It’s a gloopy green gel that actually cleans the rubber rather than just covering with shiny black ‘paint’. Easy to keep Matt or polish to a shine depending on your preference.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In addition, unfortunately it not only comes down to personal preference (Matt, sheen, glossy) but different rubbers react differently to products so it's a case of trial and error. As a safe bet have a look at Halfords (Megs and Autoglym)- Megs endurance is a thicker product and will give a very glossy fnish. In any event , to optimise finish and performance you will need to scrub the rubber until all the brown muck has gone, rinse and dry.

Blog Entries
    I use autoglym products - for tyre walls - easy apply spray that can be left for wet look or wiped for a satin finish.

As others have said, you need to make sure you give your tyres a good scrub before applying any type of dressing.

I’m a big chav and love a glossy tyre. They shiner, the better...

Autoglym for me

To me, tyre blacking always makes a car look like it's been done up on the cheap for sale at a back-street dealer.

Don't know why.

Over the years I've massaged loads of potions and lotions into fading plastic on the outside of a car, but the tyres get left well alone.

Blog Entries
    For a non-shiny finish, we used coca-cola and some washing-up liquid. Brush it on, leave it for a few minutes and hose it off. (I haven't done that in ages!)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys 👍

I like the idea of the Autoglym instant, nice and easy.

Just for ref its not for my car tyres though, I’m not that bothered about those.................
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    For a non-shiny finish, we used coca-cola and some washing-up liquid. Brush it on, leave it for a few minutes and hose it off. (I haven't done that in ages!)
    So Cola is used for cleaning dirty coins, tenderising and flavouring pork ribs and now tyres - gotta be worth a try on this Covid blighter surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    To me, tyre blacking always makes a car look like it's been done up on the cheap for sale at a back-street dealer.

Don't know why.

Over the years I've massaged loads of potions and lotions into fading plastic on the outside of a car, but the tyres get left well alone.
    Best recommendation I can make for black plastic... not tyres I must add.... is ground nut oil....try it at £1 a bottle you will be amazed.

Grand Master
    Mr Sheen and a cloth to buff them up.

This stuff is the best I've come across:
    https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/gyeon...8aAhAJEALw_wcB

Easy on and lasts well. I don't buff the tyres - I like a strong black satin look, rather than a 1990s backstreet car dealer tyre-shine!

As an aside, their Wet-Look spray is the best detailing product I've ever bought:
    https://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/prod...IaApKDEALw_wcB

AutoGlym instant tyre dressing.

But as with all tyre products you have to wash the tyres well and allow to dry before you start anything.

Spray it on and use a paint brush to spread it evenly.

Sadly nothing lasts very long but it might be better for you in a City.

i am in the welsh farmers land where your car gets filthy within a mile or two

It is essential that when you use any products, you play this track so your neighbours appreciate the work you're doing.

Most stuff comes off first time you drive on the rain.

In the old days some people used to use brake fluid, on the premiss that it must be good for rubber as most of the components in brakes are rubber, it does work but not sure I’d recommend it

https://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/pr...-gel-dressing/

All day long amazing stuff that retailers use

You’ll be shocked how good and how long it lasts

Great firm to buy from

Their microfibre towels are amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    So Cola is used for cleaning dirty coins, tenderising and flavouring pork ribs and now tyres - gotta be worth a try on this Covid blighter surely.
    Apparently also a good toilet cleaner - seriously!

Master
    +1 for Meguiars Endurance.

Can be messy (oily), so gloves advisable.
    Apply with an off cut of a sponge.
    Leave plenty of time to dry.

A nice deep Black, Looks the dogs doo dahs!!

Master
    https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/tuf-shine-tyre-shine-kit

This stuff is amazing, once applied lasts for about 6 months in my experience.

Need to strip all the silicon based stuff off first, which is a bit of a pain but worthwhile.

Zero fling at all from the rubber when driving & stays black with the rain etc.

I have been through so many of the ones mentioned & they all sling / don't last long.

Reckon the G-techniq stuff will also be good too based on my experience with a variety of their other products.

Craftsman
    There are lots of good ones, currently I use autoglym, because it's easy to get where I live.

I have used quite a few, and most of them are pretty good, so there is alot of choice out there.

Craftsman
    A chauffeur at Goodwood Speed Festival told Me He used shoe polish on His boss’s Bentley tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    AutoGlym instant tyre dressing.

But as with all tyre products you have to wash the tyres well and allow to dry before you start anything.

Spray it on and use a paint brush to spread it evenly.

Sadly nothing lasts very long but it might be better for you in a City.

i am in the welsh farmers land where your car gets filthy within a mile or two
    ^^^ +1. This is the best I’ve ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meguiars gold class tyre gel. Apply with a sponge applicator... A quick wipe round. Lasts ages on the tyre too.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Meguiars gold class tyre gel. Apply with a sponge applicator... A quick wipe round. Lasts ages on the tyre too.
    +1 I use the same but wear some Nitrile gloves if you do use it.

Craftsman
    Carpro PERL or gyeon tyre are both excellent. Getting the tyre as clean as it can be prior to the first application is the key to making it last. PERL has the added advantage that it can be used on your engine, plastic and leather.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Any recommendations fir a tyre dressing to restore black colour to tyres?

Looking for an easy to use, easy to apply type product.

Had a look online but the myriad of products available is bewildering, to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Thanks guys 

Just for ref its not for my car tyres though, I’m not that bothered about those.................
    ....is it just me? What do you want it for then?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mrs B4W powerchair

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    ....is it just me? What do you want it for then?
    Cheers,

Ben

Craftsman
    A clean with an all purpose cleaner (flash or the like) might be the best option for wheels that size. I’d be conscious of the shine product getting on the contact area of the wheel and causing slippage when moving.

Master
    Whatever you use, do not apply it before MOT or service. You will upset the mechanics as they try to wrestle the tyres, getting covered in ????

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your concern but I don’t see an issue. Careful application is all that’s required.

I clean her chair weekly but it’s always the tyres that make it look a little shabby, despite the the wheels being scrubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    A clean with an all purpose cleaner (flash or the like) might be the best option for wheels that size. I’d be conscious of the shine product getting on the contact area of the wheel and causing slippage when moving.
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    Anything except that greasy rubbish most car dealers feel the need to use. Go for a drive on a motorway and voila, your alloys are now caked in a greasy mess that takes ages to remove.

3m tyre revive is good, but like most products (except greasy goo) comes off the first time it rains.

Ben,
    this is my favourite.

Let me have your address and I’ll send you some to try.
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I keep my car clean, perhaps obsessively so on the inside, as that is where I spend a lot of time but I have never understood why people put stuff on tyres.
    I do however think the OP's reason is the coolest for tyre black thingy. Fair play mate.

Master
    Having tried a few car products over the years, I've now settled on Autobead and would recommend you look at their range.