closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Calling any travel experts - upcoming flight

Master

Calling any travel experts - upcoming flight

Hi all,

I booked a flight+car package with EasyJet to Menorca which would be due to depart Friday.

The airline is continuing to fly despite FCO travel advice to all areas of Spain and my accommodation has been cancelled. Some people in the party would be unable to quarantine upon return in any event because of work.

On the CAA website it says:

“ If you are booked on a package holiday or cruise package, where you have paid for flights and accommodation or cruise (potentially including other elements such as car hire), then your holiday is protected under the Package Travel Regulations (PTRs).
    If you are due to leave for a package holiday imminently to a destination where the Foreign Office has advised against travel, then under the Package Travel Regulations you have the right to request the cancellation of your booking and choose an alternative package or receive a full refund of any payments you have made to date.”

This seems pretty clear I can get a refund. EasyJet are denying me this, even when I emailed the CEO. Any reason I am wrong?

Thanks in advance.

I’m no expert but from what you’ve said, I take it that you’ve booked the accommodation separately?

If that’s the case then I’d say you haven’t booked a package holiday by definition. Yes, you’ve bundled flight and car hire together (and possibly accommodation too) but even booking these at the same time through the same company (or rather their partner companies) wouldn’t qualify as a package deal.

Just my reading of the situation, I may well be and hope I am, wrong.

Master
    I don’t think that’s a package holiday. You’ve tailor made it by booking separate flights and accommodate so wouldn’t be covered. Worth trying to claim on your travel insurance maybe?

Master
    Yep your only hope here is your travel insurance. Good luck

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’m no expert but from what you’ve said, I take it that you’ve booked the accommodation separately?

If that’s the case then I’d say you haven’t booked a package holiday by definition. Yes, you’ve bundled flight and car hire together (and possibly accommodation too) but even booking these at the same time through the same company (or rather their partner companies) wouldn’t qualify as a package deal.

Just my reading of the situation, I may well be and hope I am, wrong.
    My understanding is that since 2018, car+flight booked as the same transaction, at the same time, counts as a package holiday?

Again, happy to be proven wrong. EasyJet have offered a voucher but obviously at the moment cash would be preferable!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Hi all,

I booked a flight+car package with to Menorca which would be due to depart Friday.

The airline is continuing to fly despite FCO travel advice to all areas of Spain and my accommodation has been cancelled. Some people in the party would be unable to quarantine upon return in any event because of work.

“ If you are booked on a package holiday or cruise package, where you have paid for flights and accommodation or cruise (potentially including other elements such as car hire), then your holiday is protected under the Package Travel Regulations (PTRs).
    If you are due to leave for a package holiday imminently to a destination where the Foreign Office has advised against travel, then under the Package Travel Regulations you have the right to request the cancellation of your booking and choose an alternative package or receive a full refund of any payments you have made to date.”

This seems pretty clear I can get a refund. EasyJet are denying me this, even when I emailed the CEO. Any reason I am wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    I was wrong.

ABTA say

A package holiday is a combination of at least two different types of travel services, which are listed below: transport (such as a flight, coach or train but not transfers from an airport) accommodation (such as a hotel, villa or apartment) car rental.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 8th August 2020 at 08:16.

From the ATOL website:

"The law says your holiday must be protected if you book a holiday with a single travel firm that includes:

flights and accommodation (including a cruise), or

flights and car hire, or

flights, accommodation and car hire."

Are the provisions the same for the OP's situation?

ETA that the PTRL definition is:

"A package holiday is a combination of at least two different types of travel services, which are listed below:*

transport (such as a flight, coach or train but not transfers from an airport)

accommodation (such as a hotel, villa or apartment)

car rental*

a tourist service (such as a tour guide or a trip to a historical attraction) where this is a significant part of the holiday either because of its value or because it is an essential part of the trip."
    Last edited by DMC102; 8th August 2020 at 08:39.

I think it comes down to whether you have a single contract or separate ones for the flight and car. If the latter you probably have a ‘flight-plus’ rather than a package holiday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I think it comes down to whether you have a single contract or separate ones for the flight and car. If the latter you probably have a ‘flight-plus’ rather than a package holiday.
    Flight plus ceased to exist mid-2018 AFAIK

Both were booked in the same single transaction with EasyJet, both are viewable on the same booking reference, and my booking ID states it is Atol protected on the EasyJet website, which I think by default means it must be a package?

Calling any travel experts - upcoming flight

Flight plus ceased to exist mid-2018 AFAIK

Both were booked in the same single transaction with EasyJet, both are viewable on the same booking reference, and my booking ID states it is Atol protected on the EasyJet website, which I think by default means it must be a package?
    Maybe you have a LTA then? See section 1.4 here https://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and...ckage-bookings

Even if you book a car on the flight confirmation page it can then be a LTA not a package.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 8th August 2020 at 08:42.

Master
    Maybe you have a LTA then? See section 1.4 here https://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and...ckage-bookings

Even if you book a car on the flight confirmation page it can then be a LTA not a package.
    I don’t think so though - I have an Atol certificate on the booking

“ When you buy an ATOL protected Package from us you will receive an ATOL certificate.”

That’s from the t&cs, so judging by their wording and definition I should have a “package”

Have they said why refund is refused?

Master
    Have they said why refund is refused?
    They said that they cannot because the flight is currently operational.

Master
    Hi all,

I booked a flight+car package with EasyJet to Menorca which would be due to depart Friday.

Thanks in advance.
    Personally, I am not going abroad this year, I hope that you get a refund.
    With regards to this bit 'Some people in the party would be unable to quarantine upon return in any event because of work'. If they did go, then they are being completely irresponsible and selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    With regards to this bit 'Some people in the party would be unable to quarantine upon return in any event because of work'. If they did go, then they are being completely irresponsible and selfish.
    That’s a big jump to think they might go, presumably one reason OP wishes to cancel.

Wonder what employers would think if employees came to work knowing they’d been wherever and should be in quarantine?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    No one will be going. Some of the others have been booked with Jet2 and their flights have been cancelled anyway.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe there is a slim chance that the FCO advice will be reversed by Friday and they won't refund until that date has passed? They won't want to refund and then find it was unnecessary.

Master
    Hi all,

A quick update - after a second email to the CEO with a screenshot of the CAA website, I have now been given a full refund to my card and the booking cancelled.

Hope this may help anyone in the same situation.

Cheers

Master
    Hi all,

A quick update - after a second email to the CEO with a screenshot of the CAA website, I have now been given a full refund to my card and the booking cancelled.

Hope this may help anyone in the same situation.

Cheers
    Excellent, that is good news.