closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Diver 1965 Modern Reinterpretation

Seiko Diver 1965 Modern Reinterpretation

I’m in the market for a new Seiko diver and fancy trying a SPB149J1 or a SPB143J1.

My preference would be for the 149 model but these seem difficult to source with very few available new or preowned where the 143 seems easily obtainable with a good discount.

Is the 149 really that popular?
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 8th August 2020 at 06:04.

Those two seem to be the hot models right now. I’m not sure if they’ve launched in Europe yet or whether they’re JDM imports only for now. That might account for some of the scarcity.

I also suspect that for a lot of people torn between the 143 and 149, the LE nature makes the 149 a little more appealing and that demand drives the scarcity.

I’m also keen on these but trying to stick to my ‘never buy unseen’ rule...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Those two seem to be the hot models right now. I’m not sure if they’ve launched in Europe yet or whether they’re JDM imports only for now. That might account for some of the scarcity.

I also suspect that for a lot of people torn between the 143 and 149, the LE nature makes the 149 a little more appealing and that demand drives the scarcity.

I’m also keen on these but trying to stick to my ‘never buy unseen’ rule...

They have defiantly launched in Europe as there are a few AD’s offering discounts on the 143 model, it’s the 149 that seem harder to find.

I had 2 149s and rejected them both for misaligned bezels and indices so I now have none. I can't believe at this price point Seiko can't get that right.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    They have defiantly launched in Europe as there are a few AD’s offering discounts on the 143 model, it’s the 149 that seem harder to find.
    Apologies, my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I had 2 149s and rejected them both for misaligned bezels and indices so I now have none. I can't believe at this price point Seiko can't get that right.
    Agreed, I looked at one yesterday which had a misaligned bezel and markers. It does seem strange that Seiko cannot sort this issue out on a watch costing over £1000.

I will just have to keep looking, hopefully one will come along without an alignment issue from my WTB!

Craftsman
    hey sandwich, sent you a PM btw.
    If it's any consolation, it's barely a limited piece as they produced thousands of these watches.

and while it's mostly sold out in the UK now, I also suspect this is only the first batch as:

- All dealers i called in the UK only received a couple of pcs each. Which would add up to maybe 50 watches?
    - The entire launch was delayed 2 months due to COVID.

In my opinion, Seiko are still manufacturing and shipping them and there's going to be a restock down the line.

Master
    Worst case I just pay equiv of £20 to a local watchmaker here and get it all aligned. Should not have to do it but there we go.

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Worst case I just pay equiv of £20 to a local watchmaker here and get it all aligned. Should not have to do it but there we go.
    That is good to know.

Banned
    Surely £20 to realign the bezel is a no brainier!

The cost of returning a watch to the dealer and then buying another piece in the hope the bezel will be right is gonna cost more and be more headache too.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodguy View Post
    Totally agree, can anyone recommend a watchmaker around London that won’t charge an arm and leg?

I've not seen one yet that has the lume pip central in the bezel triangle. Mostly off to the right and once I've seen it that's it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    With all these 62mas versions they always seem to come up short.

Why don’t they just start making it again exactly the same as the original. The reissues are always too chunky.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodguy View Post

The cost of returning a watch to the dealer and then buying another piece in the hope the bezel will be right is gonna cost more and be more headache too.
    It's not just the bezel though. It is often the indices too which would mean a dial realignment also

It's not just the bezel though. It is often the indices too which would mean a dial realignment also
    And then there is the replacement gasket and pressure test if the case is opened.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    And then there is the replacement gasket and pressure test if the case is opened.
    I get that all in for the price :)

Master
    There’s an SPB143 for sale over at AVForums right now. No affiliation with the seller (and truthfully only glanced through the ad, so if you’re interested do your own due diligence)

https://www.avforums.com/threads/fs-...-sell.2307634/

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    There’s an SPB143 for sale over at AVForums right now. No affiliation with the seller (and truthfully only glanced through the ad, so if you’re interested do your own due diligence)

https://www.avforums.com/threads/fs-...-sell.2307634/
    Thanks it seems over priced as a new one can be purchased with a 20% discount from an AD for £880.

Master
    Thanks it seems over priced as a new one can be purchased with a 20% discount from an AD for £880.
    I didn't realise the discount already was that much, but the thought did cross my mind that it was perhaps a tad steep in price.

It's strange, the watch ticks all the boxes for me, aesthetically and in spec and size, but just can't get excited enough to consider actually wanting to purchase one.

I didn't realise the discount already was that much, but the thought did cross my mind that it was perhaps a tad steep in price.

It's strange, the watch ticks all the boxes for me, aesthetically and in spec and size, but just can't get excited enough to consider actually wanting to purchase one.
    I was offered 20% without asking the other day so maybe more could be achieved if pushed a little.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Whose got it for 20%? Best I've seen is about 15% off the £1100
    It was 10% off plus an additional 10% off for a returning customer.

Master
    It was 10% off plus an additional 10% off for a returning customer.
    So it wasn't really 20% for your average buyer coming in off the street. Which makes the one over on AVForum a (bit) better if you're in the market for that model.

Tried to edit my post to correct grammar but deleted by mistake.

Thanks for the info though

So it wasn't really 20% for your average buyer coming in off the street. Which makes the one over on AVForum a (bit) better if you're in the market for that model.
    Heads up these are available at Goldsmiths online. You can use the promo code WATCH20 for a 20% discount... (£880)

Even more tempting!

That is tempting, but so is a Squale and an Alsta.
    Last edited by acg; 13th August 2020 at 13:26.