closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fake or Real

Fake or Real

Opinions please.
    I know but just off the pictures what would you say.

Master
    I guess if you had a pic of the movement then it would give us a better idea.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Opinions please.
    I know but just off the pictures what would you say.

is that a watch that someone would fake?

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    I guess if you had a pic of the movement then it would give us a better idea.
    I do for one of them but I will wait on a few more opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by lambs View Post
    Anything can be faked these day's.

Yes it is... Hydroconquests are commonly faked. The fact that the chrono second hand is not shown in the reset position would have me looking at another watch.
    They are a popular ‘first’ Swiss Watch so perfect for less scrupulous people to fake and pass on. If there is a £ to be made some toe-rag will make it.

Hydroconquests are so popular that you could buy one and then sell it before you had it in your possession should you be inclined.

Journeyman
    Anything can be faked these day's.
    that might very well be true, but I was genuinely asking if this was a watch that someone would go to the trouble of faking. What I am getting at is, if they could fake this why not fake something more expensive and make more money?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Yes it is... Hydroconquests are commonly faked. The fact that the chrono second hand is not shown in the reset position would have me looking at another watch.
    They are a popular ‘first’ Swiss Watch so perfect for less scrupulous people to fake and pass on. If there is a £ to be made some toe-rag will make it.

Hydroconquests are so popular that you could buy one and then sell it before you had it in your possession should you be inclined.
    I might try that

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

Ewe gotta be kidding, that’s cheekier then getting a nice lamb curry only to find it’s mutton.

I had a longines gmt briefly. The crown looks like how I remember it and you would expect that’s a detail the fakers would overlook

that might very well be true, but I was genuinely asking if this was a watch that someone would go to the trouble of faking. What I am getting at is, if they could fake this why not fake something more expensive and make more money?
    If they bother to fake Casio F91Ws, they will also fake Longines HC chronos. It's about volumes.

I would look to buy a genuine model on here, preferably with a few spare straps, then offer the watch only to someone else for the same price, but sell the spare straps on eBay. £££s in

It's probably easier to get away with than say a Rolex because it's cheaper to buy & sell. And I guess people wouldn't be as hesitant on a lower priced watch at what seems like a good deal.
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    If you have more pictures get them posted. Longines case backs are quite detailed.

Why are you so interested in these two particular watches. Are they listed for sale somewhere ridiculously cheap?

I’m going with both being fake. A google image comparison shows the handset on the Chrono as different to a genuine and the three hander is trying to be an updated model but doesn’t look as crisp as a genuine.

They were listed on you guessed it. eBay & continue to be sold now & again along with Oris Aquis fakes - Tissot - Gucci - The odd Movado but mostly Tissot.

There are a group of them & needles to say eBay do nothing.

So the story is in short I fell for the HydroConquest & realised when it arrived mainly because the box was made so crap.
    The watch itself looks almost perfect except it should have a sunburst dial not flat Black & after calling Longines the serial number was original BUT from a Blue HydroConquest sold in China.

That told me everything I needed to know & opened the back up to find this.

Last edited by sickie; 7th August 2020 at 21:01.

Fake or Real

I’’m no expert but the running seconds subdial hand looks much thinner than a genuine one so I’’m saying fake for the Chrono.

Fake also for the regular Hydro. The lume in the handset is too ‘wide’ for one.

Edit: didn’t see your post above as I’d started typing this one. Sorry to hear that!
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 7th August 2020 at 21:42.

Craftsman
    How much did you pay on eBay for said watch?
    Try a significantly not as described claim.

That blue sunburst dial is one of the better around. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a longines movement but I’ve seen a fair few fakes when you pop the back off the movements held in place via a plastic mount

I paid £660.00 but I got my money back.
    The chronograph was sold by the same seller. Was silent_step who is now going by topshopprince.
    Even after I won my case he continues to sell & eBay let him. I have reported every single watch he sold since my claim & nothing has been done to stop it.

After some digging about I found that there is at least 7 or 8 other's selling the same things & they all follow each other.
    A few of them even set up like a shop lol.

It's a long story but they are making thousands from unsuspecting customers unfortunately.

Their movement should be marked with whatever calibre is in it. The HydroConquest should be marked L888. 2 but also Longines is on the rotors either cut out or the logo cut out.
    Also it's a fake Chinese ETA2824 on top of that lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    How much did you pay on eBay for said watch?
    Try a significantly not as described claim.

That blue sunburst dial is one of the better around. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a longines movement but I’ve seen a fair few fakes when you pop the back off the movements held in place via a plastic mount
    Last edited by sickie; 7th August 2020 at 21:19.

Craftsman
    Good news got your money back. Do you not have the return address report it as fraud?

I expected you to say less than 600ish which is on the cheap side but not ridiculously low

I am glad you got your money back OP.

Well I was going to report it but guess what. Even Longines didn't really want to know.
    I called them after I had as much information as I could get but they just seemed uninterested even after saying that the serial number information I got from them means it should of at least been Blue & not Black but they didn't seem to care so I gave up.
    But I still continue to report his items anyway.

If you want I will post the list of names of the users from eBay so you know some of the people to avoid.
    Good news got your money back. Do you not have the return address report it as fraud?

I expected you to say less than 600ish which is on the cheap side but not ridiculously low
    Last edited by sickie; 7th August 2020 at 21:28.

Well I was going to report it but guess what. Even Longines didn't really want to know.
    I called them after I had as much information as I could get but they just seemed uninterested even after saying that the serial number information I got from them means it should of at least been Blue & not Black but they didn't seem to care so I gave up.
    But I still continue to report his items anyway.

If you want I will post the list of names of the users from eBay so you know some of the people to avoid.

Are you at all surprised?

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

To be honest yes a little but then again I guess there are so many they probably want bigger fish to fry rather than go chasing every fake on eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Are you at all surprised?

I was amazed to find out they fake Casios, why fake a 20 quid watch?

Journeyman
    Avoiding fake watches is a nightmare.Piece of mind is the only reason left to buy from an AD

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    I was amazed to find out they fake Casios, why fake a 20 quid watch?

I guess because they can make them for a quid or so and cheap watch buyers probably won't do the due diligence of somebody buying an Omega etc?

Saw a Seiko that looked rather nice at the boot sale today, a bit like a Presage for £30, when I checked it over - Feiko!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I have to say that I am no novice by any means & have bought probably over a hundred watches over the last 5 to 6 year's & it's the first time I've been had.
    Normally at the very least I won't buy one unless it has everything with it from brand new I.E box papers warranty card but I dunno I must of just had an off moment with this one but if anything with eBay you're pretty well covered as a buyer.

PS
    I normally buy then sell hopefully for a profit but not always which is why I buy so many.
    Quote Originally Posted by scwazrh View Post
    Avoiding fake watches is a nightmare.Piece of mind is the only reason left to buy from an AD

I have to say that I am no novice by any means & have bought probably over a hundred watches over the last 5 to 6 year's & it's the first time I've been had.
    Normally at the very least I won't buy one unless it has everything with it from brand new I.E box papers warranty card but I dunno I must of just had an off moment with this one but if anything with eBay you're pretty well covered as a buyer.

PS
    I normally buy then sell hopefully for a profit but not always which is why I buy so many.

That's the easiest part to fake.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Their position is pretty clear - buy from us or an authorised dealer and you are covered - buy elsewhere... good luck!

Can't wait until you have SC access, you'll fit well in.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    That's the easiest part to fake.
    Apart from Rolex. Are they many fake convincing boxes?
    I’m not upto date on such things really my only experience of fakes is a market in China and they were all terrible. Even the ones describe as good quality with warranty 😂

Fake or Real

Apart from Rolex. Are they many fake convincing boxes?
    I’m not upto date on such things really my only experience of fakes is a market in China and they were all terrible. Even the ones describe as good quality with warranty 😂
    Silly, as someone will buy a fake thinking it is real. When it’s shoddy quality or stops working they’ll think - wow Longines is cr@p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Can't wait until you have SC access, you'll fit well in.
    Just 174 days + 208 posts and we'll find out.
    F.T.F.A.

LOL @ all the expert's.

You make a mistake & you learn from it.
    It was a mistake so I move on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Silly, as someone will buy a fake thinking it is real. When it’s shoddy quality or stops working they’ll think - wow Longines is cr@p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes that is the real issue. Rather than the fakes it’s the problem they are sold on eBay as genuine.

It works the other way too. Some of my work colleagues on that trip to China bought some fake Rolex and breitling all were broken by the time they landed back in Manchester. In that instance they realised why you pay thousands for a real one that will work for years.

Blog Entries
    I paid £660.00 but I got my money back.
    The chronograph was sold by the same seller. Was silent_step who is now going by topshopprince.
    Even after I won my case he continues to sell & eBay let him. I have reported every single watch he sold since my claim & nothing has been done to stop it.

After some digging about I found that there is at least 7 or 8 other's selling the same things & they all follow each other.
    A few of them even set up like a shop lol.

It's a long story but they are making thousands from unsuspecting customers unfortunately.

eBay must make a lot of money from people who sell dodgy gear. If they get a complaint they get the customer a refund, no complaint and they trouser the selling fees and carry on regardless. It applies to all the fake fashion items etc as well.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    eBay must make a lot of money from people who sell dodgy gear. If they get a complaint they get the customer a refund, no complaint and they trouser the selling fees and carry on regardless. It applies to all the fake fashion items etc as well.

It makes one wonder why eBay is not forced by the authorities to manage their platform better, when it comes to counterfeit goods.

I do for one of them but I will wait on a few more opinions.
    Why would you wait for opinions BEFORE letting us see picture of the movement. That’s just completely bizarre.

LOL @ all the expert's.

You make a mistake & you learn from it.
    It was a mistake so I move on.

The people in this forum have had enough of expert's (sic).

Because obviously the movement would give it away without opinions first.

Asking for some opinions first was because I wanted to see what people thought just off the look's anf first impressions that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Why would you wait for opinions BEFORE letting us see picture of the movement. That’s just completely bizarre.

Master
    I suppose that’s what the faker intends; too cheap and you know it’s a fake. Slightly cheaper than expected and you can be tempted in thinking it’s a bargain price for a real one.

Craftsman
    Worth adding the "Ebay Scams" thread that was started a little while back. The Hydroconquests had already been mentioned....

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ent+ebay+scams

Craftsman
    Worth adding the "Ebay Scams" thread that was started a little while back. The Hydroconquests had already been mentioned....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post

Good one