closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: NATO straps - any cleaning tips?!

NATO straps - any cleaning tips?!

Pretty warm weather means sweat, blood and sun cream, so the old NATO is looking disgusting!

Tried soap, washing powder, a stint in the washing machine, but the discolouration refuses to shift.

Any tips, please?

Spot the original colour...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that if it's been through the washing machine, then it's clean, and the discolouration is permanent, and you should probably relax about it!

Pop it in a bra bag, or a sock, every couple of weeks (if you're worried about stinky) or whenever it becomes stinky, and you're gold.

Think I'd treat it like they are meant to be treated...disposable. Bin it and buy a new one. Suncream and a NATO was never going to be a good mix.

That's why it was so ridiculous when NATOs got trendy and the big watch companies started selling them for £100+.

This 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Think I'd treat it like they are meant to be treated...disposable. Bin it and buy a new one. Suncream and a NATO was never going to be a good mix.

That's why it was so ridiculous when NATOs got trendy and the big watch companies started selling them for £100+.

Another vote for nato in a sock in the usual wash. They come out perfect.

Craftsman
    The other posters have beaten me to it really but I think washing them earlier/ more often is the answer. Nip the problem in the bud.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

^^^ In a nutshell.

Some will pay good money for the 'distressed' look. Others for the crisp and clean. In between there's the 'distressed and clean' look. All good.

NATO straps - any cleaning tips?!

Thanks guys, I’ll give the washing machine another go.

Somehow I’m not sure I could bring myself to just bin it and buy another, particularly as it’s an Eddie, it’’s comfy, it has, ahem, patina’ and anyway trying to order anything through TF at present seems like a huge faff, but will keep that as a viable last resort!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pinpull; 7th August 2020 at 13:41.

Mine are washed after 2 or 3 days as a matter of course during normal temperatures, but when it's hot and sweaty like this (or when on holiday, or if worn during exercise) it's every day, and a clean one fitted. If there's a load going in the washer I pop it in a sock, if not just a hand wash with ordinary soap under the tap. Then, either way, patted fairly dry withy a towel and hung on the line to air dry.
    Last edited by magirus; 7th August 2020 at 13:42.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    This is the very reason natos just don't work for me. I love the look - indeed my Seamaster GMT on blue Omega nato is the most perfect look of all the configurations I've tried - but one sweaty day, or one stray blob of mayo, and it's out with the Bergeon and on with the washing machine, whereas with bracelet or rubber you run it under a tap for five seconds and it's sorted. I can't help feeling that if you're any one of lazy / slightly OCD / in a warm climate / or sweaty, natos are a non-starter.

An unhelpful digression so I'll get me coat.

Master
    Why wash it, when the watch breaks get a new strap. Don’t think I’ve ever washed one in the last 35 years apart from in the shower.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Lots of you suggesting to just get a new strap, thank you, which is a fair point and a sensible solution. However, NATO straps still need a bit of breaking in, which is not a problem in itself, but a nicely worn in one is a soft and comfy thing that has moulded to your wrist, fits perfectly and you hardly notice you have it on - hence every attempt to maintain the current one!

Apprentice
    Take it off the watch, wash it like you would your hands, with a bit of pump soap, rince and leave to dry, have a few in different colours and swap them until the other dries on a radiator, etc.
    I try to take my watch off if it's on a nato and there is grease around, but I've just been lucky toasting marshmallows on the bbq wearing a rubber strap I touched it to the hot lid, but I cant see any meltage, so I'm thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Why wash it, when the watch breaks get a new strap. Don’t think I’ve ever washed one in the last 35 years apart from in the shower.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Doesn’t it smell?

Master
    Wash it in the shower. If it really stinks, I soak it in vinegar, then soap it.

Journeyman
    Anyone Got any recommendations For some good quality Nato straps?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scwazrh View Post
    Watchgecko do some decent ones. Time factors when they are open and Crown and buckle.

Quote Originally Posted by scwazrh View Post
    Just bought a couple of cwc ones - really like them

Strap them in to the dishwasher

I've always subscribed to the idea that NATOs have a limited lifespan... you can extend this by regular washing, but ultimately, the strap will die. Which is a lovely opportunity to try something new!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by NoisyGriff View Post
    I've always subscribed to the idea that NATOs have a limited lifespan... you can extend this by regular washing, but ultimately, the strap will die. Which is a lovely opportunity to try something new!
    I was thinking the same and I was going to buy an Omega NATO but at €150 each the idea of the strap being disposable soon got scraped

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    IMVHO for bog-standard NATOs the CWCs are the best of the rest (ie length, material, hardware and comfort) with the singular exception of Eddie's (which are still the benchmark). The CWCs are also heat-welded and much cheaper than Watchgecko.
    Last edited by Geralt; 11th August 2020 at 08:41.

Confirming your method Magirus:
    I'm living in Greece, so a sweaty day is usual ... washing allmost every day and changing straps (and also watch ..).
    There are a LOT of good strapshops over the internet (I like cheapestnatostraps) so it is NOT TOO expensive.
    If it is TOO much worn, ... buy another one (10-20€ or £) and you are OK for another year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Mine are washed after 2 or 3 days as a matter of course during normal temperatures, but when it's hot and sweaty like this (or when on holiday, or if worn during exercise) it's every day, and a clean one fitted. If there's a load going in the washer I pop it in a sock, if not just a hand wash with ordinary soap under the tap. Then, either way, patted fairly dry withy a towel and hung on the line to air dry.

Seiko Explorer elastic natostrap: just water and soap and then dry in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post

I always read good things about CWC straps - I have a few - but the material is considerably stiffer and less comfortable than any others I have tried. I’m going to stick with one for a while and see if it softens up but so far it hasn’t changed at all

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I always read good things about CWC straps - I have a few - but the material is considerably stiffer and less comfortable than any others I have tried. I’m going to stick with one for a while and see if it softens up but so far it hasn’t changed at all

Throw them in the washing machine with a bit of fabric softener.
    It works

This is something I've been messing about with for a few years now and I've finally got a system that works.

You will need;

A bowl, warm water (about 40 degrees C), citric acid powder, bicarbonate of soda and a minging NATO.

Put all of the ingredients in the bowl and gently stir (put enough water in to cover the strap and a teaspoon each of the powders). Let it do it's thing for a couple of minutes and if needed a gentle scrub with a soft tooth brush. Rinse in cold water and hang to dry.

It's unscented, less aggressive than soap and biodegradable. Don't let the acid part worry you, in this concentration it's less acidic than fruit.

I also discovered it's a great method for removing tea and coffee stains from mugs and cups.

The strap will not discolour or stretch.

Just a warning, if you use too much powder or add the water too quickly, make sure you have a tea towel or kitchen roll to clean up, it's quite spectacular.

Another vote for bung them in the washing machine - simples.

Master
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this. But does anyone then iron them?

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this. But does anyone then iron them?
    I find if you hang them on the washing line you don’t need to iron them...

Master
    The washing machine is your friend. Then I put the strap on the radiator so it can quickly dry. I find a rubber strap useful too, easy to wash and even scrub (I use a children’s tooth brush). Keeping these things clean is a real pleasure.

I spray the strap down with Spray 'n Wash, let that soak in and then loop it around a belt look on a pair of jeans or khakis. Secure the buckle and run it through the clothes washer. To dry it I lay it flat on top of the dryer while my clothes dry. Works great.

And a perlon strap is even easier to wash and dry, good during hot weather!

Sorry, but all the faff described in this thread just strengthens my resolve to stay well away from NATOs!

Simon

No idea at all about this, but my go-to stain remover is the denture tablet.

Maybe try popping the strap into a glass, cover with hot tap water, then pop in denture tab?

It will fizz and pop, so make sure it's a big enough glass. Or use your tea mug - you'll get a clean mug out of the process for free.

Like most respondents, mine go into the washing machine in a small mesh bag. I avoid detergent, so tend to wait until I'm washing something in NikWax.

Edit: Co-op denture tablets are the choice at Cornholio Towers. Great for stained mugs, titanium camping pots with burned-on crud, all sorts. May work for dentures too, but I'm not in a position to test that one out...
    Last edited by Cornholio; 20th June 2021 at 21:40.

Master

Maratac natos are good. I've been using them for years. I just put them into the washing machine with whatever is getting washed at the tine.

After the "poolsession", I rinse it under water from the tap, all OK.