closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Audi A4 Tyres

Journeyman

Audi A4 Tyres

My wife has a 2018 A4 1.5 TFSI S Line and has just taken it in for a service.

She's been told by the garage (who I trust) that the front tyres need replacing and one is borderline dangerous.

Obviously we're getting them replaced but it seems a very short lifespan in that she's done just under 10k miles in 2 years (almost entirely round town).

We've had 3 year contract hire deals for many years and never had to replace any tyres during the contract period, even at 20k miles.

Anyone any idea if this is normal for these cars or others and if not what could have caused it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can only suspect the wear relates to the toe-in, toe-out setting which is causing excessive wear on either the inside/outside edge of the tyre treads. Really annoying when you still have plenty of tread on the centres

Master
    If she has hit a pot hole and the tracking is out it could be possible.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I can only suspect the wear relates to the toe-in, toe-out setting which is causing excessive wear on either the inside/outside edge of the tyre treads. Really annoying when you still have plenty of tread on the centres
    Cheers. Just had to google that, but it makes sense.

Might be worth getting a full alignment done while it's there.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Might be worth getting a full alignment done while it's there.
    Agreed. Definitely will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my ex-professional opinion it's to do with the steering geometry, more precisely the Ackerman angle, or lack thereof not improved by the low profile tyres. My A4 eats front tyres too, they scrub like crazy on a hard lock, I can't remember ever driving a worse car for it. It's a design flaw.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    In my ex-professional opinion it's to do with the steering geometry, more precisely the Ackerman angle, or lack thereof not improved by the low profile tyres. My A4 eats front tyres too, they scrub like crazy on a hard lock, I can't remember ever driving a worse car for it. It's a design flaw.
    Cheers. Sounds like a reasonable explanation. Should probably have done some research before getting it but otherwise it’s been a decent car.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I can highly recommend Nexen NFera SU1 tyres...

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s323..._Noise%3A_72dB

Cheap as (25 portions of) chips, last well, quiet, and are more than adequate for my E Class.

Audi A4 Tyres

What make/model tyres are they? Some wear quicker than others, when I had my Accord, Goodyear F1 Asym tyres for me would need replacing after only 6k miles.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    What make/model tyres are they? Some wear quicker than others, when I had my Accord, Goodyear F1 Asym tyres for me would need replacing after only 6k miles.
    Continental. Getting Pirelli this time.

Not too concerned about longevity now though as the car goes back within a year so as long as they're legal after 5k more miles that'll do for me!

Grand Master
    It always pays to check tyres for uneven wear, if the tracking us slightly out the wear rate on the edges can be v. rapid and the tyre ends up scrap. Its up to the owner to do thus frequently to avoid nasty surprises, tyres can become illegal and you don’t want to get fined, each tyre is a separate offence.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It always pays to check tyres for uneven wear, if the tracking us slightly out the wear rate on the edges can be v. rapid and the tyre ends up scrap. Its up to the owner to do thus frequently to avoid nasty surprises, tyres can become illegal and you don’t want to get fined, each tyre is a separate offence.
    I’d be more concerned about safety than a fine tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Absolutely this. I ran a set of Bridgestone S001s on my Altea. The fronts wore out in 12k miles, never had a tyre do that before.
    Swapped them out for something I can’t remember now - Dunlop’s Sport Maxx RT2 and they were much better.
    Have a set of Mich PS4 on my A4 and they are excellent. They’ll probably outlive me.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    She's been told by the garage (who I trust) that the front tyres need replacing and one is borderline dangerous.
    Have you also checked them yourself? Takes 10 seconds to run your fingers over the wear bar.

I am sure their advice is sound, but I’ve had dealerships try and convince me that break pads are on their last legs and need changing, 10,000 miles before they actually do.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Have you also checked them yourself? Takes 10 seconds to run your fingers over the wear bar.

I am sure their advice is sound, but I’ve had dealerships try and convince me that break pads are on their last legs and need changing, 10,000 miles before they actually do.
    No. I would have done ordinarily as I’m sure that kind of thing happens regularly but the garage is owned by a friend so I’m confident he’s not having us over.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    Continental. Getting Pirelli this time.

Not too concerned about longevity now though as the car goes back within a year so as long as they're legal after 5k more miles that'll do for me!
    Continental and VAG are somehow affiliated. All VAG cars sold here (new) in The Netherlands are on Continentals.

I’m under the impression that most main-stream manufacturers (not all!) tend to shop for the best bulk deal for their models. Then a customer comes along and finds out that certain tyre characteristics are better suited for his car.

OP take some decent shots of the tyres front on and post them up.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    OP take some decent shots of the tyres front on and post them up.
    Now been replaced so can’t I’m afraid.

Master
    I had the same problem with a rover 220 in the 90s the inside of the tyres were bald but the rest of the tyre looked fine the garage said the track rods were like coat hanger wire and bent every time I went over a pebble had to have the tracking done every 3 months one reason I got rid of it

Grand Master
    I have a tread depth tool, I`ve owned it years. Doesn`t get used often but it's the best way to check tyres to ensure they aren`t wearing evenly. Once its obvious by visual checks the damage is done and the tyres life has been shortened. Tyres aren`t cheap, it pays to look after them.

My ageing Jag will need a full set soon, I only do 3500 miles/year so they last a good while, but they don`t last forever. Rear tyres do around 14000 miles, that's over 3 years for me.

Back in the mid-90s I had a Toyota MR2 which did around 8000 miles on the rears, cost was around £140/tyre, that's 3.5p/mile on rear tyres alone. Fronts did double that and were cheaper (smaller), but tyre costs were significant on that car. It's something folks don`t think about when assessing running costs.

Master
    I have an Audi A4 and can confirm that they were at the safety limit at about 10K Miles
    Was very surprised and I’d never seen wear like that on fronts of a car before.
    The wear is uniform so not an alignment issue.
    I’ve still to change them if i’m honest and this thread is a good reminder to get it booked in.
    Slicks don’t work so well in rainy Scotland.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I’d be more concerned about safety than a fine tbh.
    3pts for each illegal tyre I think...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I have an Audi A4 and can confirm that they were at the safety limit at about 10K Miles
    Was very surprised and I’d never seen wear like that on fronts of a car before.
    The wear is uniform so not an alignment issue.
    I’ve still to change them if i’m honest and this thread is a good reminder to get it booked in.
    Slicks don’t work so well in rainy Scotland.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Cheers. Glad to know it’s not just us.