closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Compact Binoculars?

Which Compact Binoculars?

Hi all

I'm after a pair of decent compact binoculars to take on walks, weekends away, holidays, etc.

I don't want anything too big / heavy, but fancied a reasonably powerful pair, so thought

• 10x magnification
    • compact / folding type
    • up to about £100 or maybe a little more

and I started looking online. What a minefield! I never realised the number of different brands (most of which I'd never heard of) and variations on essentially the same theme. Even filtering it down to recognised optics brands, e.g. Nikon and Pentax, there's still a huge choice and no way to gauge which are the ones to go for.

I've been looking at this pair by Nikon, which I thought might be OK for the money, but having seen a few pairs of bins bought, sold and discussed here in the past I thought I'd ask if anyone can offer an opinion on whether these are any good, or recommend a superior alternative.

TIA for any guidance.
    Last edited by DMC102; 7th August 2020 at 17:48.

These are currently on eBay
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254669521655

We have a pair which are very good indeed, quality is top notch, size of a credit card when folded up.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    The best size is 10x25. It is a good size because it is small and light and as such you will carry it more than you would a bigger size.

My wife has a Nikon 10x25 and I have a Leica 10x25 and the Leica is way way better in all respects. It is sharper and more detailed.

I notice that you have bought a few bins before, so possibly you are out for quality. I have always believed in buying top end because that way you won't buy twice.

My recommendation is to up your budget and aim for a Leica.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The best size is 10x25. It is a good size because it is small and light and as such you will carry it more than you would a bigger size.

My wife has a Nikon 10x25 and I have a Leica 10x25 and the Leica is way way better in all respects. It is sharper and more detailed.

I notice that you have bought a few bins before, so possibly you are out for quality. I have always believed in buying top end because that way you won't buy twice.

which model of Leica bins do you have Mick?

I have some Leica trinovid in 8x20
    Fantastic little glasses, clarity is amazing
    If you can find/stretch to them I don’t think you’ll be disappointed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    which model of Leica bins do you have Mick?
    10x25 Trinovod. I bought them about 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

We have a pair which are very good indeed, quality is top notch, size of a credit card when folded up.
    Very cool. I'm watching the auction - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I have some Leica trinovid in 8x20
    Fantastic little glasses, clarity is amazing
    If you can find/stretch to them I don’t think you’ll be disappointed
    Thanks both. I looked at Leica but I don't think they'd get enough use to justify a cost that much over budget.

Master
    Looked at both roof and porro prism alternatives recently and ended up with some Nikon Aculon 8 x 42. Bought direct from Nikon for about £85. Reasonably compact. For my use (out and about in the countryside) 8x magnification is plenty. I tried 10 x and didn't get on with them.

Really pleased with mine.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    As mentioned above.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Hi all

I'm after a pair of decent compact binoculars to take on walks, weekends away, holidays, etc.

I don't want anything too big / heavy, but fancied a reasonably powerful pair, so thought

• 10x magnification
    • compact / folding type
    • up to about £100 or maybe a little more

Just sayin.

8x*** everytime.
    Sure the 10x*** give better magnification, but it's at the expense of a darker and shakier image.

Blog Entries
    https://www.jessops.com/p/jessops/10...noculars-99490

Are they the best quality? No.

Do they work as 10x binoculars? Yes.

Will you worry about chucking them in your pocket or car? No.

Can you buy 3 pairs for the budget and always have a pair handy? Yes.

Remember the best binoculars are the ones you have with you.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    8x*** everytime.
    Sure the 10x*** give better magnification, but it's at the expense of a darker and shakier image.
    Exactly my thoughts. I have some lovely quality Nikon 9x25s which were a present @ 30yrs ago and even 9x can be shaky. I'd probably compromise with 8x32 if I ever bought another pair.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. I have some lovely quality Nikon 9x25s which were a present @ 30yrs ago and even 9x can be shaky. I'd probably compromise with 8x32 if I ever bought another pair.
    Yes 8 x32 is a brilliant size but the simple reality is that you are more likely to carry a small pair of 8x25s or 10x25s and because they are so small, they are no hassle to carry.

My 10x25s live in my Barbour pocket, so every time I slip on the Barbour, I got the bins, hence they get a lot of use. I wouldn't routinely carry a pair of 8x32s even though they are are brilliant size.

A nice pair of Leica 10x25s has popped up on SC but these are well beyond what I want to spend.

Thanks for all the contributions. I was swayed by the argument that 8x was probably preferable to 10x and have gone for an 8x25 roof prism Pentax.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes 8 x32 is a brilliant size but the simple reality is that you are more likely to carry a small pair of 8x25s or 10x25s and because they are so small, they are no hassle to carry.

My 10x25s live in my Barbour pocket, so every time I slip on the Barbour, I got the bins, hence they get a lot of use. I wouldn't routinely carry a pair of 8x32s even though they are are brilliant size.
    The OP wanted 25mm so that’s that - the Pentax he bought look nice.

To your points, my 8x32 fit in my Barbour pocket easily. I have Leica 10x25 and they are terrible compared to the Swarovski 8x32. If I was in the OP’s shoes I’d look at the Swarovski 8x30 but they cost way more than he wanted to spend.

Yet again I innocently pop into a thread and end up wanting to spend large amounts of money on something I didn't know I needed! Classic TZUK!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Yet again I innocently pop into a thread and end up wanting to spend large amounts of money on something I didn't know I needed! Classic TZUK!
    I can give you a heads up on a really good deal (imo) if you want that rabbit hole

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I can give you a heads up on a really good deal (imo) if you want that rabbit hole
    Thanks but I'll pass. I'm currently in a maze of rabbit holes involving cameras, bicycles and hi-fi!
    F.T.F.A.

Master

I ended up buying these. My wife enjoys ballet and bird watching (I suppose there are similarities or may just be me) and I thought these might be handy for her as a very portable pair.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I ended up buying these. My wife enjoys ballet and bird watching (I suppose there are similarities or may just be me) and I thought these might be handy for her as a very portable pair.
    Well done,
    We bought ours about 15 years ago and since then a couple of mates have also added them to their travel kits,

Master
    Well done,
    We bought ours about 15 years ago and since then a couple of mates have also added them to their travel kits,
    The binoculars arrived today, in great condition. They really are very light and compact but still useable. My wife is thrilled with them but I have a feeling I'll be using them too. We have an old 10x50 but a bit heavy for regular use. Which reminds I must start a thread on refurbishing old binoculars, if that is possible. The other set have sentimental value but in a bit of a rough state.

I’ve just ordered these:

https://www.johnlewis.com/nikon-acul.../black/p503163

£59 with a 10 year warranty, doesn’t sound too bad

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick bump of an old post, Amazon are knocking 30% off much of their Amazon Warehouse including a few pairs of Nikon binoculars like the Aculon mentioned earlier.
    I just bought a pair of the Nikon Aculon T02 's for £31 but be quick.