closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 'Tron' G Shock reimagined.

'Tron' G Shock reimagined.

Now I really like the GMW-B5000CS ‘Tron’. I think the case and bracelet look absolutely brilliant. However, there were some things I wasn’t that keen on. I would have preferred a positive display and the solar panel is quite prominent because of the lack of graphics and with the grid pattern continuing onto the face there is nothing to distract from the very visible solar panel. I

Oh...............and another thing I wasn’t keen on ......................the price! £700 in the UK.

I knew that I could get hold of a ‘Tron’ case and bracelet but what to match it with? I wanted a positive display and black buttons are really a must with this case. As far as I know all DW-5600's with black buttons have a negative display apart from one.
    I also wanted some sort of coordination between case and face, if possible and that meant there was only one choice available. This one............ The DW-5600HT-1JR Hotei 35th Anniversary 'Guitarhythm' G Shock.

Which became this ..................

Really pleased with this one. I think it looks fantastic and could really also be called ‘The Tron’. I think it looks better than the original. It turned out even better than I imagined and I always thought it would look great when I was imagining the combination.

Black buttons and screws

Some wrist shots.

It is probably the only one of its kind and is difficult to recreate, as you have to get your hands on a DW-5600HT first and that isn’t easy.

So any thoughts on this?

Mitch

Master
    Too busy for me but nice one making one of a kind👍

That's a superb pairing. I prefer it to the original as well. Still looks like it's made for the bracelet/case, but less bland than the original.

I'm assuming it's an aftermarket case/bezel? What was your price all-in for this mod if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    That's a superb pairing. I prefer it to the original as well. Still looks like it's made for the bracelet/case, but less bland than the original.

I'm assuming it's an aftermarket case/bezel? What was your price all-in for this mod if you don't mind me asking?

The bulk of the cost is getting hold of the DW-5600HT-1JR, it is one of the most expensive 5600's there are. It was only sold in limited outlets in the East and is really a collectors item. I got it BNIB and if you wanted to get the same, the cheapest currently available is going to cost you over £300 to import.

Hotei is a famous Japanese musician and guitarist and the watch was to celebrate his then 35 years in the business.

I did OK with this though, the whole project was done for less than £250 including all shipping etc costs. Also because the base resin etc is stored and not being used it can be restored to it original pristine condition at any time.

Mitch

Commission GGB or BlackBadger to CNC out the lines and in-fill with lume...?

Looks way too busy to me also, prefer the original, sorry ;)

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    Looks way too busy to me also, prefer the original, sorry ;)
    Horses for courses and all that!

I do like the original but the rather blank negative LCD display means the solar panel is quite intrusive on the LCD and the overall look is a bit 'samey' for me.

I personally just prefer the clearer positive display and the face is a bit more interesting for me whilst still coordinating with the case and bracelet.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Too busy for me but nice one making one of a kind

I originally thought of using a 'Real Black' G that I have for the project. This would maintain the negative display of the original but the 'military' look of the display on the Real Black is hard to read in other than ideal light. The Real Black G Shocks do still retain a certain popularity amongst G Shock fans though.

I decided to see how it would look using the Real Black and here it is.

It's fine, it's stealthy and subtle but I still prefer the positive 're-imagined Tron' and that is what it has reverted to.

Mitch

Way better IMHO, the aesthetics of the previous version didn’t work for me with the thin and thick white lines together. That said, good work on trying different things 👍🏻