closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The serenity of the 'small seconds'.

Master

The serenity of the 'small seconds'.

Or 'no seconds' at all come to that.

All of my watches over the past 60'ish years seem to have had a 'centre seconds' hand rushing around the dial.

I've recently acquired two Nomos with small seconds, now when I look at the dial nothing 'appears' to be happening, all is serene.

Are they working? I have to take a second look to make sure.

Master
    Lol. Now try the serenity of the no seconds. A Hamilton intramatic is a cool option.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I'm kind of the other way around, I quite like focussing on the second hand as it sweeps around the dial. It's what attracted me to the Snowflake, there's something about the smooth sweep around the edge of the dial I really like.

It's also what puts me off quartz, I find the sudden jolt of the second hand quite jarring for some reason.

No seconds would just stress me out I think!

I've had a couple of watches with no seconds and it is very weird. It would certainly upset the OCD of those who micro manage their watches performance because you haven't got a clue unless the minutes are out.

Chronos do annoy me to some degree, they have a lovely big hand and it just sits there idle. I would rather that be the second hand and the small seconds dial be connected to the Chrono button. On Speedmasters etc I will leave the Chrono hand at 22/23 secs as it covers the dial detail when facing 12.

I’ve always fancied a Meistersinger but have never tried one. No seconds or minute hand. Very serene indeed especially with the moonphase.

Last edited by Mr Tetley; 6th August 2020 at 09:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I've had a couple of watches with no seconds and it is very weird. It would certainly upset the OCD of those who micro manage their watches performance because you haven't got a clue unless the minutes are out.

Chronos do annoy me to some degree, they have a lovely big hand and it just sits there idle. I would rather that be the second hand and the small seconds dial be connected to the Chrono button. On Speedmasters etc I will leave the Chrono hand at 22/23 secs as it covers the dial detail when facing 12.
    Even that statement has set my teeth on edge

Our diversity is both interesting and important for our individuality though

Craftsman

It OK, once you get your brain to slow down and chill out.

Craftsman
    Chronos do annoy me to some degree, they have a lovely big hand and it just sits there idle.
    You could always just leave it running and pretend...

i have both and prefer a big seconds hand myself, i like to be able to glace at a watch for a split second and know all 3 hands

It would certainly upset the OCD of those who micro manage their watches performance.
    The only certain thing here is that you've misused the word "certainly". Differerent watches can be appreciated in different way. For example, one pleasure is to be constantly aware of just how admirably a chronometer is keeping time; another is to admire the beauty of an old vintage watch, contentedly oblivious to the fact it loses 3 minutes a day; and another one is to enjoy the serenity of a two-hander. It doesn't require a miracle of mental flexibility to take each individual watch on its merits.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 6th August 2020 at 09:51.

Personally, I think part of the the magic of mechanical watches is seeing the sweep of the seconds hand, be it small or large. I could certainly live with no-seconds but it would kill the joy a bit for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I’ve always fancied a Meistersinger but have never tried one. No seconds or minute hand. Very serene indeed especially with the moonphase.
    You can try the one-hander experience to see if it is for you very cheaply with a Luch from Belarus. 15j manual wind movement. Around 45 quid including p&p brand new.

Here's my old one. With hindsight I should have bought one with cyrillic script. Luch means beam (of light).

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    You can try the one-hander experience to see if it is for you very cheaply with a Luch from Belarus. 15j manual wind movement. Around 45 quid including p&p brand new.

Here's my old one. With hindsight I should have bought one with cyrillic script. Luch means beam (of light).

Thank you. I see they have some new models also with a new logo. Actually think I prefer the old logo but these look like great value for the money at around £100. Even cheaper on Amazon.

https://luch.by/en/watches/filter/pr...-is-pm2/apply/

Last edited by Mr Tetley; 6th August 2020 at 11:20.

Master
    I really like two handers, even though I'm fussy about accuracy. No second hand, no date - I find that really calming. I find that I can gauge the time to within a few seconds using the minute hand.

these look like great value for the money at around £100
    ~£35 on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Now that is good value! Thanks. I’ve noticed the case material is chrome. Can any owners confirm this?

. On Speedmasters etc I will leave the Chrono hand at 22/23 secs as it covers the dial detail when facing 12.
    Yep, I do the same with my Speedmaster, since the day I bought it seven years ago

Journeyman

Just let the chrono spin?

Master
    Now that is good value! Thanks. I’ve noticed the case material is chrome. Can any owners confirm this?
    Just had a close look at mine - yes, I think it is. The caseback is steel with a concentric brushed pattern. Cheap & cheerful really, but fun.

Master
    I love the ‘sweep’ of the snowflake, but also enjoy Panerai with no seconds at all.

That Meistersinger looks excellent though, even more relaxed about time 😀

Journeyman
    ALS Saxonia Thin deserves a mention for a nice two hander.