closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Furlough and annual leave

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I'd be inclined to agree that an employee can't take annual leave if on furlough (but I've no problems with an appropriate monthly leave allowance being deducted whilst on furlough).
    If an employee has annual leave booked then they can be furloughed whilst on annual leave (which still gets deducted). I think the minimum overall furloughing period is 10 days so if a M-F worker had a weeks leave then they could be furloughed for 2 weeks : 5 days furlough 5 days leave.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I'd be inclined to agree that an employee can't take annual leave if on furlough (but I've no problems with an appropriate monthly leave allowance being deducted whilst on furlough).
    Reading up on it and checking with our HR people they can. If they were on 80% you have to top them up to full pay.
    The issue we had was they didn't tell us they were not going to take as holiday prior to the booked holiday period. Everyone was given the option of doing so. It seems they changed their mind after they heard the government allowed holiday to be carried over, which like many companies we don't allow.
    So next year they want minimum of 7 weeks paid holiday plus any residue they don't take between now and the end of the year.
    Makes running a business difficult.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    I've worked right through the pandemic as I'm a key worker. Others who work for the same company and have been working from home (with company laptops provided) have been complaining that the company should reimburse them for wear and tear on their carpets😱 Not only are they on full pay but they also got the yearly bonus while sitting at home!

Some people just don't see the bigger picture.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Reading up on it and checking with our HR people they can......

Makes running a business difficult.
    Noted and thanks (to all who commented). I've every sympathy with businesses so wouldn't expect to take extended leave post furlough but can see how it might be necessary if partners were teachers or similar with limited holiday windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I've worked right through the pandemic as I'm a key worker. Others who work for the same company and have been working from home (with company laptops provided) have been complaining that the company should reimburse them for wear and tear on their carpets😱 Not only are they on full pay but they also got the yearly bonus while sitting at home!

Madness, presumably they’ll be saving money on getting to work (or wear and tear on a bike or shoes).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Yup! 2 of mine have. They were both on furlough. One of them who had holiday booked and took it while furlough has now complained it couldn't really be considered holiday and should be allowed to carry it over.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    I've worked right through the pandemic as I'm a key worker. Others who work for the same company and have been working from home (with company laptops provided) have been complaining that the company should reimburse them for wear and tear on their carpets Not only are they on full pay but they also got the yearly bonus while sitting at home!

Welcome to the entitled 2020s.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I've worked right through the pandemic as I'm a key worker. Others who work for the same company and have been working from home (with company laptops provided) have been complaining that the company should reimburse them for wear and tear on their carpets Not only are they on full pay but they also got the yearly bonus while sitting at home!

Different jobs/ different perks. If this is to become the new norm, then setting boundaries etc from the start is important or a company will take the piss with its employees. Peoples WiFi, help towards office furniture if wanted and possible electric are all things an employer should see reduced in the long run. And whether someone still gets a bonus while working from home has absolutely nothing to do with anything providing they have done the same amount of work they would of done from the office.

I work for a big blue chip company and we have seen an increase in productivity in my department. Definite grounds for Corbyns proposed 4 day working week, which of course was heckled by all even though the evidence from other countries proves it does work.

It also get legally different if you are a home worker rather than work from home - I was giving a long list of terms (by HR) to avoid using with people in case it caused legal problems later. later...

I'm at home and will be until at least January. I've been as productive at home as I am in the office. No difference in output either way.

My wife has never worked harder and is continually stressed in the evenings, usually working from 7.30/8am right through to 6/7pm and she's only downstairs for lunch for about 20 minutes. It would be better for her sanity and health to go back to the office as the work and stress is being piled on like you wouldn't believe.

Both of us have had bonuses - my wife's based on the last financial year (nothing to do with Covid or lockdown) but being paid now, me quarterly having hit one, missed one, and now set to hit the next (missed a quarter due to Covid).

Neither of us have complained or asked for carpet wear and tear, desks, chairs, or anything like it. I asked for a headset for calls, my wife asked for nothing and I got her a Bluetooth mouse. Some people do FA from home, others do the same, some do way more. You can't just say "sitting at home" as if we're sat watching TV all day. That isn't the case and being at home for many people is considerably harder.

Getting a bonus or not isn't a factor for a moan either because no one hands out money for no reason. They are all earned and all paid for using banked money. Imagine your performance brought in X and then the employer said "yes we have the money, you helped being it in, but we've decided not to pay it because of Covid. We might need it". That goes for individual bonuses and company wide bonuses.

This is tough for most people but in different ways. No need to see a moron or two in your own workplaces and assume everyone else is the same.

One thing's clear - it's a completely different world for those in salaried employment. You guys don't know how lucky you are (or perhaps you do).

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    One thing's clear - it's a completely different world for those in salaried employment. You guys don't know how lucky you are (or perhaps you do).
    We do Tony. There are pros and cons on both sides of the fence as we all know. Salaried people aren't immune from the issues, but are a bit more insulated. Restructures and redundancies are happening everywhere and LinkedIn is looking more brutal by the day.

Master
    Having wound my company down in August last year, taken a few months off & then returned to PAYE in November I feel incredibly lucky with both an income and the timing at which it happened, as my work would have ground to a halt completely otherwise with contracts just not happening.

The fact I am working my arse off & hating the job and the work (to be addressed at some point post Covid), is still offset by how much worse it could have been reliant on my savings / previous dividend payments / money still within the company for an undetermined period of time. I'm stressed out of my mind most weeks, working silly hours, but I would be much more stressed trying to find work, so find myself somewhat 'lucky' to be in a job I don't enjoy!

Really hope it all starts to build back for all you self employed guys out there.

This is not directed at the OP. Honest

But the Great British public are an entitled lot, aren't they? Good grief

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Having wound my company down in August last year, taken a few months off & then returned to PAYE in November I feel incredibly lucky with both an income and the timing at which it happened, as my work would have ground to a halt completely otherwise with contracts just not happening.

The fact I am working my arse off & hating the job and the work (to be addressed at some point post Covid), is still offset by how much worse it could have been reliant on my savings / previous dividend payments / money still within the company for an undetermined period of time. I'm stressed out of my mind most weeks, working silly hours, but I would be much more stressed trying to find work, so find myself somewhat 'lucky' to be in a job I don't enjoy!

Really hope it all starts to build back for all you self employed guys out there.
    Yes, I'm in the position that you narrowly avoided, and it's not much fun either. Hope you find something you enjoy more before too long.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wrong thread,sorry
    Last edited by Bonzodog; 10th August 2020 at 11:43.

Master
    Yes, I'm in the position that you narrowly avoided, and it's not much fun either. Hope you find something you enjoy more before too long.
    I really bet it isn’t Tony, I’d be tearing my hair out that’s for sure. Both aren’t great fun, but I do feel I landed on my feet with this one; even if not ideal it is certainly the least worrying of the two & serves its purpose for the time being.

Hope your consulting picks up again soon, can’t remember which industry but based on your watch collection you’re clearly good at what you do & well regarded. Fingers crossed you’re on their list to call as soon as budgets become available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd not replied as thinking about it still annoys me.

Thanks to everybody that has taken the time to reply and PM. Much appreciated.

I'm back in my original mindset of being grateful and letting it go.
    I don't really mind, it's not like I want to go anywhere this year anyway.

They have handled this part badly, I really wouldn't mind if they said, we're struggling we'd appreciate it if you could.... etc, etc and actually ask us to give up days. Just send us a letter or something, a heads up, no problem.

Anyway, I'm not going to cause a fuss about it and tbh I don't think anybody else will despite what they say.

Thanks all.

I think that’s a wise decision OP, whilst your situation may not be ideal, you and your your work colleagues are certainly towards the better end of the COVID situation spectrum!