closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko diver production length

Seiko diver production length

Or rather, how to you produce a classic when the models constantly change?

SKX007 21 years in production
    Monster (first generation ) 13 years
    SBDX001 MM300 15 years

The 007’s replacement, the SRP777 is still in the catalogue but has limited availability, I assume as the SRPA-E Turtles King Turtles come on stream. Is it being discontinued?

I can’t keep pace with Seiko’s releases, but I wonder if shorter product cycles even with the upgrades may make these newer watches less iconic going forward.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said this to a friend a little while ago, the shear range of similar models recently doesn’t allow any single one to stand out, even though models that are iconic now had short runs, the 6105, 6309, 7548, Less than 10 years each, the difference is those were pretty much the only ones in their range, that’s what made them classics.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I think a bigger risk is the lack of innovation.

People go on about Rolex but turn a blind eye to seiko’s iterative design philosophy, captain willards to turtles or 7032 to SKX to new seiko 5s, or perennial variations on the tuna

The newer 62MAS and MM200 redesigns are also paying homage to another time.

Sumos, shoguns and samurai seem to have been the only ones to have cut an original design while incorporating the seiko design cues (a minor distinction I realise) but I must say none of those three appeal to me. Maybe they’ll be the underdogs that become future classics to a future generation

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I think a bigger risk is the lack of innovation.

People go on about Rolex but turn a blind eye to seiko’s iterative design philosophy...

Sumos, shoguns and samurai seem to have been the only ones to have cut an original design

Although I quite like design stability (when it’s right!), the Monster in 2000 was very highly original; I’m not sure they have been that bold since

D

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I said this to a friend a little while ago, the shear range of similar models recently doesn’t allow any single one to stand out, even though models that are iconic now had short runs, the 6105, 6309, 7548, Less than 10 years each, the difference is those were pretty much the only ones in their range, that’s what made them classics.
    Agreed, I like a fair few of the new offerings but for the life of me I can't keep up with them.