closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Braun AW20 replacement Crystal?

Braun AW20 replacement Crystal?

Hi all, bought a Braun AW20 recently off German eBay for a bit of a run around watch, Ive always liked the minimalist design of it. Its one of the original from 1990 not the 2017 reissue. It€™s in ok condition but has a few scratches on the crystal that are annoying me a little (k1 hardened mineral glass apparently). It wasn€™t an expensive pick up. Case size 31mm, unsure of crystal size.

Anyone have any recommendations on whether its worth replacing the crystal on it? How much might it cost? Where to take it/send it? Get an acrylic crystal on it or replace the mineral glass?

Thinking of putting an 18mm Fluco flat black Horween shell cordovan strap on it on the recommendation of another forum member and will put the Braun buckle on it.

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Gareth.hayes; 5th August 2020 at 15:02. Reason: Photos not attached correctly

Let’s try this for better quality photos. Can never figure it out posting from my phone :/

Last edited by Gareth.hayes; 5th August 2020 at 15:01.

Grand Master
    Its likely that a generic crystal will be available to fit. The original needs removing carefully to avoid damaging the gasket, the thickness and diameter has to be measured, then a search through the Cousins website will hopefully turn up something suitable. Some latitude on thickness is permissible but the diameter has to be correct.This may involve buying two or even three then trial fitting to get the best fit. If you're lucky there may be a sapphire alternative.

This isn’t a job for someone who lacks experience, the glasses cost around £1.50 each but there’s a technique in fitting and removing them. A press tool is a must, plus a steady hand.

I’d be interested in knowing how you get on.

Your post has reminded me, I have one languishing in a drawer. I was given one around 1990. I handed it over to my dad, I reckon I wore an Alessi Aldo Rossi at that time. He wore it. Following your post, I’d like to get it smartened up, a new crystal and gasket for the case back.

I also had a nice Braun Dieter Rams alarm clock and calculator. There was some good 80s design. Ross RE5500 Radio, Sony Walkmans and SW radios.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 7th August 2020 at 08:41.