closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tidal Hifi query

Tidal Hifi query

I wondered if some can help me with a tidal. If I upgraded to Tidal HiFi (£20 a month) would I benefit from a better sound if I was listening through my iPhone and AirPods, I’ve read that to get the HiFi you need a DAC.

Thanks
    Andy

Honestly you would need a dac and most importantly a good set of headphones. There is a law of diminishing returns with HiFi and most of the high end stuff is stupidly expensive and most people cannot tell I would start with a Ifi dac for your phone of computer and a midrange set of Grado headphones or seinhausers. Set the Dac to MQA on Tidal and you will get the best sound our of your equipment. Over time upgrade if you feel you want to, but be warned its even more of a time and money sink than watches.

I'd agree with Fitzgeme and upgrade your headphones, you'll hear a big improvement even without upgrading Tidal.
    I use Amazon HD music but only through my hifi kit.

There was an audio quest dragonfly red in the classifieds that works well with tidal and iPhone, I use one with beyerdynamic DT880’s at home and Shure SE215’s out and about.
    Wouldn’t bother with hifi tidal if you don’t have a good set of headphones/DAC or a decent hifi at home (I have a Naim unitiqute2 that works well with tidal)

The first step will be to ditch those AirPods if you're trying to achieve improved sound. Either get a set of these Cambridge Audio; Melomania 1. Excellent sound for the money.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/e...ts/melomania-1

Or move to a pair of wired earphones.

Thanks for all the replies.
    My home HiFi is a bluesound powernode streamer with some B&W CM8 speakers. I use tidal,through the bluesound app. I’m guessing even though it’s wireless I will still get a better sound with tidal HiFi rather than Spotify. It does sound better to my ears.

I appreciate that better headphones would get a better sound but the AirPods are so convenient and was just wondering if AirPods / tidal HiFi would be better than AirPods / Spotify. After the replies I’m guessing not.

Many thanks
    Last edited by awright101; 5th August 2020 at 16:12.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    My home HiFi is a bluesound powernode streamer with some B&W SM8 speakers. I use tidal,through the bluesound app. I’m guessing even though it’s wireless I will still get a better sound with tidal HiFi rather than Spotify. It does sound better to my ears.

I appreciate that better headphones would get a better sound but the AirPods are so convenient and was just wondering if AirPods / tidal HiFi would be better than AirPods / Spotify. After the replies I’m guessing not.

Many thanks
    You definitely should get tidal hifi if you're running the powernode and B&W speakers. The powernode can also handle MQA/Tidal Masters (I think, not sure if you have the 1 or 2).

On the airpods - no you won't notice a difference. On the go I limit tidal to 'High' with my Sony true-wireless headphones, Hifi and Masters is totally pointless in those situations.

Many thanks everyone, that’s great info

Very informative tread indeed.

Do you think Tidal HiFi will make a difference on Dolby Atmos TV? Panasonic FZ2000.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    My home HiFi is a bluesound powernode streamer with some B&W SM8 speakers. I use tidal,through the bluesound app. I’m guessing even though it’s wireless I will still get a better sound with tidal HiFi rather than Spotify. It does sound better to my ears.

Many thanks
    You absolutely should get Tidal HiFi (or Qobuz or Amazon HD) if you're running a Powernode and those speakers. Don't get confused with the fact you are using an app/phone to control it, I assume you are using the BluOS app, that is? This is little more than a glorified remote control; the source (Tidal Hi-Fi) is going directly to the Powernode.

As for the earphones, I would still ditch the AirPods. I just cannot understand using a pair of earphones that don't come with a silicone, rubber or foam sleeve. Just having the earphones rest in the ear and not creating a seal leads to huge loss of bass/non-existence bass, volume needs to be louder because of outside noise coming in, overall it makes for a very poor audio experience.

EDIT - sorry, I read those speakers as the CM8 and not SM8. If you had CM*, I would say definitely yes, but SM8, I'm not sure you'd notice the difference. That said, and this is the slippery slop of hifi, that you are not getting the best from the Powernode with the SM8 speakers. I'd upgrade those first.
    Last edited by SeanST150; 5th August 2020 at 13:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Very informative tread indeed.

Do you think Tidal HiFi will make a difference on Dolby Atmos TV? Panasonic FZ2000.
    I don't understand this setup? Do you use the built in TV speakers for your music? If so, I see little point in upgrading to Tidal HiFi. TV speakers nowadays are mostly useless. If you want an improvement, the principal is similar here to the OP question, upgrade the speaker first. Maybe a soundbar is your best option, if you cannot facilitate something larger.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I don't understand this setup? Do you use the built in TV speakers for your music? If so, I see little point in upgrading to Tidal HiFi. TV speakers nowadays are mostly useless. If you want an improvement, the principal is similar here to the OP question, upgrade the speaker first. Maybe a soundbar is your best option, if you cannot facilitate something larger.
    This model comes with built in Technics tuned speakers.

I don't know the TV (and speakers) nor can I find any reviews under the model number you've shared. Given this, I'd find it hard to suggest you upgrade to Tidal HiFi, you may notice a very marginal improvement at best. But TV speakers for the most part are rubbish, it's just a symptom of TVs being flat.

Its this one here

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/panasonic-tx-55gz2000b

Craftsman
    Both my friends with Hi end Hi-Fi have come away from Tidal saying they do not notice enough difference. Both are streaming through Naim Mu-so though.

I don't think you'll hear the difference. However, you only have to commit to the extra cost for one month, so give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by markdotreed View Post
    Both my friends with Hi end Hi-Fi have come away from Tidal saying they do not notice enough difference. Both are streaming through Naim Mu-so though.
    That's interesting. Have they come away from Tidal altogether or Tidal's HiFi tier?

I don't think you'll hear the difference. However, you only have to commit to the extra cost for one month, so give it a go.
    Will do. After my 3 months free with Spotify expires :)

You absolutely should get Tidal HiFi (or Qobuz or Amazon HD) if you're running a Powernode and those speakers. Don't get confused with the fact you are using an app/phone to control it, I assume you are using the BluOS app, that is? This is little more than a glorified remote control; the source (Tidal Hi-Fi) is going directly to the Powernode.

As for the earphones, I would still ditch the AirPods. I just cannot understand using a pair of earphones that don't come with a silicone, rubber or foam sleeve. Just having the earphones rest in the ear and not creating a seal leads to huge loss of bass/non-existence bass, volume needs to be louder because of outside noise coming in, overall it makes for a very poor audio experience.

EDIT - sorry, I read those speakers as the CM8 and not SM8. If you had CM*, I would say definitely yes, but SM8, I'm not sure you'd notice the difference. That said, and this is the slippery slop of hifi, that you are not getting the best from the Powernode with the SM8 speakers. I'd upgrade those first.
    Yes sorry I meant CM8s.
    I was looking to get some new speakers and had a listen to some Spendor A7 and PMC twenty5 23! But then I needed to upgrade the amp and it all started to get a bit crazy

That's strange, I was up at Peter Tysons up in Carlisle listening through an iPad to Tidal HD
    music and thought it was excellent using class D amplification and some KEF R5's. That's what put me onto Amazon HD music.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    That's strange, I was up at Peter Tysons up in Carlisle listening through an iPad to Tidal HD
    music and thought it was excellent using class D amplification and some KEF R5's. That's what put me onto Amazon HD music.
    I'm planning on trying Amazon HD, how do you like the UI etc? Tidal is good for my usage - a Fiio M11 and some nice IEMs, but £20 is steep and not convinced on MQA.

Master
    If you haven't already I would at least consider trialling Roon for use with Tidal. It collates all your personal music and Tidal together into an amazing user experience. Will work with the Bluesound a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    If you haven't already I would at least consider trialling Roon for use with Tidal. It collates all your personal music and Tidal together into an amazing user experience. Will work with the Bluesound a treat.
    I'd suggest Roon if the User had multiple rooms to deal with. Roon is not cheap (I think £10 a month now?) and adds an additional monthly cost.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I'd suggest Roon if the User had multiple rooms to deal with. Roon is not cheap (I think £10 a month now?) and adds an additional monthly cost.
    Agreed. Hence I suggested he trial it to see if it would be worth it for him.

Craftsman
    That's interesting. Have they come away from Tidal altogether or Tidal's HiFi tier?
    As I understand it, they were both on the HIFi tier but then complained that there wasn't enough differnce or content either.

Its all about the master. If you get something in CD quality thats been mastered well you would be hard pressed tell the difference to the same mastered in MQA (loudness not included). However the MQA generally shows that the album has been mastered well with a good Dynamic range and not compressed for IPhone listening. What I am saying is that I am out on the benefits of MQA and HiRes in general, but that MQA and HiRes files are generally mastered well. I notice a big difference with Tidal MQA and the same album mastered without MQA. I am not really into listening critically in a darkened room with a black turtle neck on, but I do notice.

Not a massive fan of Naim gear, its good looking but generally sounds a bit tinny to my ear. Its all so personal, so dont let anyone else tell you what sounds good to your ears.

Craftsman
    Both of my friends are Vinyl obsessed and the whole streaming thing is relatively new to them. They don't really do CD. Maybe that's the reason the quality doesn't do it for them?
    Also both are not really into mainstream music which would account for the lack of content.

Craftsman
    I have top the range Sony and Bose headphones and really rate Apple AirPods Pro . The convenience means they are used the most .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I was vinyl only and stayed away from CD as I never liked the sound or found it engaging, have used tidal hifi for a few months now with a Naim unitiqute2 and really like the sound, got my foot tapping which is something Apple Music or Spotify never did when using a beresford DAC and a Naim pre/power.