closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Massive Explosion in Beirut

Massive Explosion in Beirut

I'm not going to post the video here as it is clear this is probably the biggest presumably terrorist bomb to hit a city (it generated a mushroom cloud) but I fear thousands will be dead. RIP and thoughts with everyone

Master
    It looked truly horrific didn't it...

I’ve jut read it was a firecracker warehouse, irrespective of that it was one heck of an explosion.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Wow, what an explosion that is

Holy sh*t! I don’t think I’ve ever seen an explosion like that outside of a war zone.

I feel sick. Death toll must be in the thousands. Entire blocks of housing destroyed.

On t LBC a witness journalist said she heard a plane prior to the explosion, I hope she was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I’ve jut read it was a firecracker warehouse, irrespective of that it was one heck of an explosion.

R
    This makes sense, in some of the footage you can clearly see repeated "firework" like flashes around the base of the smoke column before the big explosion occurs.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Chanel four news is reporting that they haven’t had confirmation of what the cause was but a store of confiscated munitions was mentioned.

It was an horrific explosion though.

Grand Master
    Whatever it is, it's a slow burner that's gone high order, not sure if it's fireworks, the Enschede disaster was fireworks, and this doesn't look anything like that, as it's at the port it could be a secure area that's been used to store something that's got a lot of energy, a bit like the Cyprus Naval Base explosion a few years back due to confiscated explosives and ammunition being stored unsafely for years.

Master
    More likely it was an ammo dump that went up.

Apparently it was an Ammonium Nitrate dump. Next to a fireworks factory that caught fire. If true, city planning has a lot to answer for. The saving grace if it is an ammonium nitrate dump is that unlike explosives which travel at 10km/s the explosion here would be at 2 km/s which may mean less casualties. Let's hope so

That explosion looks like one big explosive material has ignited in one go, certainly not made up of individual bombs, shells, munitions going off, maybe a big silo?

Either way that was one hell of a blast, the shock wave actually pushes the clouds back in the footage from the boat, biggest explosion I have seen outside of a nuclear weapon and apparently felt 200 miles away in Cyprus..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 4th August 2020 at 20:47.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Apparently it was an Ammonium Nitrate dump. Next to a fireworks factory that caught fire. If true, city planning has a lot to answer for. The saving grace if it is an ammonium nitrate dump is that unlike explosives which travel at 10km/s the explosion here would be at 2 km/s which may mean less casualties. Let's hope so
    Do you have experience with ANFO or is it Google info?

Numerous angles (4 so far) seen on social media.
    It appears to be rumbling along, for about 20 seconds before the HUGE explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Ammonium Nitrate was used in the Oklahoma bombing back in the day - it still causes significant damage.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    If it's ammonium nitrate then it'll be similar to the Oppau incident, where the world learnt the lesson on continuous dumping of AN thinking that it wouldn't go high order.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    If it's ammonium nitrate then it'll be similar to the Oppau incident, where the world learnt the lesson on continuous dumping of AN thinking that it wouldn't go high order.
    I've a book, the history of BASF and a photo of that devastation always amazed me - over 500 killed.

This kind of accident seems to happen far too often.

The Halifax Explosion was pretty scary. As was the more recent Tianjin Explosion (another one at a port storage facility) in 2015. Both shocking accidents. There's even (non-graphic) footage of the Tianjin explosion by some poor bugger who was livestreaming it as got caught and died in the pressure wave.

Master
    Horrific, one of the reports said that it was a warehouse containing explosives, hard to believe that was firecrackers lol.. they claim only 27 dead .. hard to believe given the devastation that has caused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I can believe it is nitrate etc rather than an explosive device.

I have seen a video from fairly close and the shockwave doesn’t seem to affect the person recording too much, my initial thought was a gas explosion/similar as all the flammable material burnt quickly and caused the dust cloud but I’m no expert on such things.

Blog Entries
    I have some mates over there and there are all sorts of rumours afoot, some of the Facebook photos/videos are truely shocking.

2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate at Beirut's port

Master
    Apparently, over 2,500 tons of ammonium nitrate had been stored for some 6 years in a warehouse. If it comes into contact with an open flame or other ignition source, it explodes violently. The explosive force occurs when solid ammonium nitrate decomposes very rapidly into two gases, nitrous oxide and water vapour. There appeared to be a lot of water vapour.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I've a book, the history of BASF and a photo of that devastation always amazed me - over 500 killed.
    I have the same book

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Apparently, over 2,500 tons of ammonium nitrate had been stored for some 6 years in a warehouse.
    Nasty stuff, I used to attend toxic emergency's at Billingham ICI when on road traffic. If there was a leak it was warning public to shut windows and stay indoors.
    An explosion would have wiped Billingham off the map.

Some parallels here with an incident in the Galveston area just after the war
    That was 2300 T of ammonium nitrate that blew up on a boat in the docks
    581 died including nearly all of Texas citys fire dept.
    America’s worst ever industrial incident and first ever class action in the states.
    I do industrial incident investigation and analysis/training....

I think there is more to this than is currently being admitted. Watching the videos, before the explosion you can clearly see many smaller explosions/flashes more associated with munitions, like when that ammo store blew up in the Ukraine, than fireworks (which are much more colourful.)

If it was munitions (TNT, C4, etc) is therefore possible that this was on it way to Hezbollah, Syria or even Iran and that Mossad, or ANO, decided that might be a bad idea. Iran has been experiencing a lot of “unfortunate” accidents recently since one of Israel’s major water treatment plants was hacked earlier this year (traced to Iran).

Just speculation, but I doubt whether we will ever know the full true.

You have to feel sorry for the people living in that part of the world who just want to live in peace and be left alone. No one deserves that.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I think there is more to this than is currently being admitted. Watching the videos, before the explosion you can clearly see many smaller explosions/flashes more associated with munitions, like when that ammo store blew up in the Ukraine, than fireworks (which are much more colourful.)

If it was munitions (TNT, C4, etc) is therefore possible that this was on it way to Hezbollah, Syria or even Iran and that Mossad, or ANO, decided that might be a bad idea. Iran has been experiencing a lot of “unfortunate” accidents recently since one of Israel’s major water treatment plants was hacked earlier this year (traced to Iran).

You have to feel sorry for the people living in that part of the world who just want to live in peace and be left alone. No one deserves that.
    I agree this is possible. Shame, as I love Beirut and Lebanese food and was planning an October visit (dependent on Covid situation). No way am I going now.

Just hope the truth does come out, outrageous if true.

Feel so sad for the people, years of violence then this.

Craftsman

Why is there always a need for conspiracy theories? It is perfectly reasonable that smaller explosions happen as small pockets of AN reach critical temperature and explode, before the rest follows. Occam's razor...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Nasty stuff, I used to attend toxic emergency's at Billingham ICI when on road traffic. If there was a leak it was warning public to shut windows and stay indoors.
    An explosion would have wiped Billingham off the map.
    I did my apprenticeship there, yep loads of that stuff in massive warehouses bagged up...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Just been chatting with an old mate (Chemist and Hazmat Instructor @ Fire Service College). The orange/brown plume is classic bulk Ammonium Nitrate. Seems more than likely that this is the large explosion being circulated. He also said that there is some discussions that the early fire fighting that was undertaken (pre-explosion) may have used salt water (since it was in the docks area) and the chloride ion in the water my have increased the risk of an explosion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I did my apprenticeship there, yep loads of that stuff in massive warehouses bagged up...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My dad worked at ICI Billingham when we were kids. He used to bring huge bags of fertilizer home & spread it on the lawn. It was always lovely & green.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Why is there always a need for conspiracy theories? It is perfectly reasonable that smaller explosions happen as small pockets of AN reach critical temperature and explode, before the rest follows. Occam's razor...
    Agree...also, if we look to the past there are loads of examples of this kind of thing happening at port facilities...the last being 2015 in Tianjin.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    My dad worked at ICI Billingham when we were kids. He used to bring huge bags of fertilizer home & spread it on the lawn. It was always lovely & green.
    An interesting fact (to me anyway) is that 50-80% (dependant on source of data) of the nitrogen in our bodies has come from such factories. Atmospheric nitrogen is converted to ammonia then to fertilisers into our food chain.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Those bags were also fantastic for going up the hills and sledging on them when it snowed haha....

2750 Tonnes apparently ....the videos of the explosion are staggering the one taken from a boat shows the enormity and spread...

I hear Cyprus heard it 175 miles away...

fingers crossed for all in Beirut..

We felt the after shock in Cyprus
    Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    In which case why did the Lebanese Port Authority allow 2800 tones of a high explosive material to be stored for 6 years at the port - if according to official reports was the case.

So either it wasn’t what was claimed, in which case what was it, or someone royally screwed up by storing this amount of high explosive, above ground, in a warehouse close to a major city, for 6 years.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

In which case why did the Lebanese Port Authority allow 2800 tones of a high explosive material to be stored for 6 years at the port - if according to official reports was the case.

So either it wasn’t what was claimed, in which case what was it, or someone royally screwed up by storing this amount of high explosive, above ground, in a warehouse close to a major city, for 6 years.
    It was from a cargo ship (The Rhosus) which was on it's way to Mozambique (2013). It diverted into Beirut due to technical problems. Lebanese Officials stopped it continuing it's journey and the crew abandoned it.

The cargo was offloaded into a hanger in Beirut Port. Customs wrote a number of times to request the removal from the Port. Nothing (clearly) happened and three years after the last request it was still in storage.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...032416684.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It was from a cargo ship (The Rhosus) which was on it's way to Mozambique (2013). It diverted into Beirut due to technical problems. Lebanese Officials stopped it continuing it's journey and the crew abandoned it.

The cargo was offloaded into a hanger in Beirut Port. Customs wrote a number of times to request the removal from the Port. Nothing (clearly) happened and three years after the last request it was still in storage.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...032416684.html
    Ooooh, you and your facts.

I expect there'll be another conspiracy along shortly, give that the ship was reportedly owned by a Russian...

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 5th August 2020 at 15:30.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Just seen this, quite staggering.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I have ammonium nitrate in my garage, 25KG bag used as fertiliser.

Time to get rid of it, looking at that explosion it would probably blow up my garage

Journeyman
    Astonishing pic above.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I have ammonium nitrate in my garage, 25KG bag used as fertiliser.

Time to get rid of it, looking at that explosion it would probably blow up my garage
    On the face of it that might seem sensible. I'm wondering though, how silly would you need to be in order that you suffer a similar ignition, or is it easily done? Perhaps we have someone here who's aware.

Just wondering if that WW2 cargo boat full of munitions is still festering away in the Thames estuary?
    That’s reckoned to be able to cause some trouble if it goes off, suppose it’s relatively safe under water...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Those bags were also fantastic for going up the hills and sledging on them when it snowed haha....

Yeah we used them for that too. Polybagging we called it

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Just wondering if that WW2 cargo boat full of munitions is still festering away in the Thames estuary?
    That’s reckoned to be able to cause some trouble if it goes off, suppose it’s relatively safe under water...
    No! the Richard Montgomery, if it went up it would do a lot of damage to Southend and bits of Kent

286 × 2,000 lb (910 kg) high explosive bombs
    4,439 × 1,000 lb (450 kg) bombs of various types
    1,925 × 500 lb (230 kg) bombs
    2,815 fragmentation bombs and bomb clusters
    Various explosive booster charges
    Various smoke bombs, including white phosphorus bombs
    Various pyrotechnic signals

They cant say that they don't know it is there
    Last edited by adrianw; 5th August 2020 at 16:23.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Yep the Montgomery is still sitting off the Isle is Sheppy.
    There are some seriously scary predictions for London and the South East if that went up. It still contains 1400 tonnes of TNT!!!!!

The explosion in Lebanon was truly horrific. Unfortunately it’s not unheard of when AN is concerned.