closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Casio ‘Royal’ Oak

Casio ‘Royal’ Oak

Some will have seen the thread I posted recently looking for a particular ‘Casioak’, the 1AER.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...k-where-to-buy

The idea was that it would be a graduation present for my nephew. He’d been looking over my shoulder when I was inevitably looking at watches on my phone, and had said how much he liked it.

Unfortunately by the time I eventually got one delivered I’d missed the boat on the graduation present and had had to get him something else. No bother though, I’ll keep it for myself!

When researching the watch I’d seen some interesting videos on YouTube of some easily reversible mod kits that were available. So I thought why not and ordered one of those too. Relatively cheap and direct from China, I wasn’t expecting too much.

The kit landed today and I thought I’d fit it. It was a piece of cake to do and took about 15 minutes, even with my shaky hands and lack of any skill whatsoever.

Both kits;

What’s in the boxes;

The mod kit came with new bezel and bracelet, screws and spring bars and tools to do the job;

The Casioak pre-tinkering;

Strap off first, which was really easy;

Then the rubber bezel, which was held on only by those 4 screws;

Attached the new bracelet;

Now for the metallic bezel;

Four screws back in and it’s secure;

And that’s it! Job done;

It’s a fun mod, not to be taken too seriously, easily carried out by anyone whatever their skill level and easily reversible in no time at all.

It does make the watch a lot heavier and more bulky but I must admit I do quite like it. The bracelet is decent quality and actually quite nicely machined. The butterfly clasp is tight and secure and the bracelet links are screwed. All in all not too shabby. Most importantly the fake screws in the bezel all line up! Some final pics;

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I really like it and it offers a serious option to the alternative

Looks good.

'Poshes' the watch up quite a bit.

Mitch

Craftsman
    I quite like that Ian, now going back to your earlier thread and considering one myself. Thanks for the post.

That would make a lot of people do a double-take. Very interesting mod.

Looks like a royal oak that has thrown away their family fortunes and become someone's hired muscle.

Bloody Nora- love that!

I like that a lot. Only thing I'm not sure of before I order, how long is the bracelet? I've a couple of the standard casio metal bracelet and a couple of aftermarket metal ones too and I only need to remove a couple of links to fit 8.75ish" wrist. Would this be long enough, do you think? Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    I like that a lot. Only thing I'm not sure of before I order, how long is the bracelet? I've a couple of the standard casio metal bracelet and a couple of aftermarket metal ones too and I only need to remove a couple of links to fit 8.75ish" wrist. Would this be long enough, do you think? Cheers.
    Hi. The bracelet was very long. I had to remove 5 links for my c6.75 inch wrist and it’s still a little loose.

I can’t be certain about your gorilla wrist though! It would be touch and go. If you do go for it and need extra links you can have mine.

Ian

That looks great

Where was the mod kit from?

I think that looks amazing - well done. Care to share the seller?

Apprentice
    Looks really good and, to my eyes, the correct base watch. I’m not terribly keen on the all black version.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Where was the mod kit from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I think that looks amazing - well done. Care to share the seller?
    Ali Express. Arrived a week after ordering which surprised me.

Link

Master
    Makes the G-Shock bearable, good mod.

Decent looking mod! Might give it a go, but like my casioak standard so might have to order a new one...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link - good to see! I might give that a go.

Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    Hi. The bracelet was very long. I had to remove 5 links for my c6.75 inch wrist and it’s still a little loose.

I can’t be certain about your gorilla wrist though! It would be touch and go. If you do go for it and need extra links you can have mine.

Ian
    That's a very kind offer, thanks Ian. I've ordered one, now to decide which of the 2 I have that it goes best with...

Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    That's a very kind offer, thanks Ian. I've ordered one, now to decide which of the 2 I have that it goes best with...
    It’s so easy to do, and reverse, that you can try both!

PM me if you need the links and I’ll drop them in the post.

Journeyman
    Looks great. Ordered mine from Ali Express last week hopefully be here soon. They dopped the price of kit 54% since ordering which is a little annoying to say the least.

That is interesting and the final result actually looks good unlike many mods people do

Craftsman
    Looks lovely! What are the dimensions on it with the mod?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cart3rlfc View Post
    Looks lovely! What are the dimensions on it with the mod?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    Across the outer part of the case it’s 44mm, the octagonal bezel is 40mm.

The lug to lug is c49mm and it’s 12mm thick. All measurements done by eye with a ruler rather than anything more technical!

I have noticed the first link on each side of the case is pretty inflexible so that does effectively increase the lug to lug length.

It’s not a small case now by any means and tbh probably too big for me. It’s not something I can put on my wrist and forget about.

Master
    There's always the 'Cadisoak', for something a bit more traditional that doesn't need to be modded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tl4mmq1pT4

Personally I prefer the unmodded Casio, though.

I’ve ordered the Casiden - it’s so cheap! Looks awesome too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

I nearly did, but decided to hold off a decision for the upcoming smaller version.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Received my kit through today. Thought it was worth adding for those that are interested, package value was marked low for customs and there was nothing further to pay which was a pleasant surprise

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

I watches a YT vid on this watch and I thought it was a bit not very good

Depends what you expect for £50...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Casioak assembled and on the wrist. Shame there's no micro adjustments, but that means without removing any links, it's just a tad too long. Which is better than too short...
    Shown with another new arrival today - something from 50(ish) years ago, a Vostok Komandirskie, which at 34mm shows how watches have got a touch heftier in the last half a century.

RE the Cadisen a few people are mentioning, I bought one of their prior similar models on a whim and sold it on. Saw it on a JustOneMoreWatch video and impulse bought, as I liked that it was relatively unique in it's styling and didn't look too much like anything else really although definitely some RO inspiration. It was originally nicknamed the 'Cadisoak', although they have other watches more fitting of that title now.

What you get for under £50 is amazing. Decent Seiko movement, full weighty watch with integrated bracelet etc. In terms of value though, it was a zero for me simply because I was never going to wear it for two reasons:

(1) It was huge.
    (2) The bracelet was a noticeably different thickness on either side of the clasp. The links were thicker on one side than the other. I just don't understand how that even happens!

This picture wasn't taken for the purpose of showing the links, but if you look close you can kind of see what I mean. The links are significantly thicker on the left hand side - that's not some trick of perspective, it was real!

Journeyman
    Thanks for the inspiration for the mod. I have small wrists and bought the kit with the bracelet but couldn’t remove the 4 link screws nearest the clasp at both ends, despite them turning. Did anyone else encounter the same problem? I sent videos of this issue to Aliexpress and thankfully managed to obtain a refund.

Do you think sellers would send out bracelets with screws loosened on request? I don’t want the hassle of returning the item again if I’m not able to shorten the bracelet to suit my wrist.