closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best TV and Alexa option , advice sought

Master

Best TV and Alexa option , advice sought

Bit of advice please from those who have been down this route.

Background my mother in law has macular degeneration, so is going progressively blind. She is now struggling to see her 32” TV and has asked for larger one. We have been very successful in getting her to use an Amazon Echo dot to listen to her radio spotify etc.

A quick review shows two types of Tvs that work with Alexa
    1) Alexa built in , a small mic on the remote control
    2) TVs that connect to the Echo over wi fi

As a preference we would like to go down the second option as it is truly hands free and just extends her Alexa “ world” to include changing channels and sound up and down.

So the question is has anyone bought / set up an Echo dot with a modern TV? If so how easy is it , what is the functionality like ( please remember Im working with an 87yr old partially sighted MIL”

Many thanks in advance

Steve

Master
    I haven't tried it myself but this is the Sony page about Alexa control:
    https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...icles/00186768

You could do it via a Logitech Harmony controller for any TV:
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/connect...view-3465.html

Harmony doesn't have the greatest reputation for stabilty though.

AVForums is always a good source: here's a serch for "Alexa control TV":
    https://www.avforums.com/search/7862...tv&o=relevance

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Harmony doesn't have the greatest reputation for stabilty though.
    I'd agree with this from personal experience. It can be very flaky. I can live with this but you need to find a solution that works without having to continually fiddle with the technical aspects as much as Harmony requires.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post

As a preference we would like to go down the second option as it is truly hands free and just extends her Alexa “ world” to include changing channels and sound up and down.
    I have just tried the smartthings app on my own tv. You can then pair it with Alexa. Seems like simple commands on/off etc are easy.

I’m not sure how it will integrate with Sky etc if needed. For standard free view it might be an option.

See this link https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...ews-29557.html

Further edit - so I’ve done this on my own telly now connected Alexa to smart things via the skills. It only supports on/off not changing channel/volume.
    I am using a qled q6f - this model is a few years old. Never models may support this.

Another edit after more research. Several Samsung tv new models have Alexa built in. 43inch and bigger 2020 models might be your optimal solution especially as replacing the telly anyway
    Last edited by Sean89; 4th August 2020 at 18:15.

Master
    Thanks guys some good references there. Re the Harmony I would prefer to stick with the Echo if I can.

Wow AV forums I used to trawl that when I had a hone cinema Setup, good suggestion.

Sean89 I think one of the developments in 2020 models is the inclusion of volume up down , channel change etc. Looking at some you tube content shows people saying “Alexa turn on the tv and let me watch XYZ” and it works!
    That would be brilliant for the mother in law.

Steve

Craftsman
    I think a 2020 model is your best best. 43 inch is 599 on sale at currys now. Possibly even cheaper elsewhere.

This has been a useful thread as I can now turn on my own telly with the echo show. Useful for when you can’t find the remote atleast 😂

Blog Entries
    Just bought a new 55” Sony OLED 2020 model. Not cheap but having connected Alexa via FireTV stick its very good, can view CCTV and Ring Doorbell through T.V.
    However, th only way to connect to Sky Box is via Logitech Harmony, and I don’t think that would suit your mum as it is another layer of tech and is not stable.
    Netflix and Amazon however work with no issues, if your Mum has free view that ‘should’ work via Alexa.

Master
    Just looked at the AV forum suggested by Mr Pointy and there are numerous people setting up TV’s for aged vision impaired relatives ! Hours of fun researching:)

Master
    Any time someone asks 'what tv' I'll always answer 'LG', so easy to use and many come with alexa built in and also have their own voice recognition if you don;t like alexa. Also the OLED versions have amazing contrast which may be a factor when being viewed by someone vision impaired...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Just looked at the AV forum suggested by Mr Pointy and there are numerous people setting up TV’s for aged vision impaired relatives ! Hours of fun researching:)
    If you find something close to a definitive solution would you share it here, it might help others in the same position?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    If you find something close to a definitive solution would you share it here, it might help others in the same position?
    Will do Captain, I have an enquiry in with Richer sounds at present. Once bought and up and running I will update the thread.

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Any time someone asks 'what tv' I'll always answer 'LG', so easy to use and many come with alexa built in and also have their own voice recognition if you don;t like alexa. Also the OLED versions have amazing contrast which may be a factor when being viewed by someone vision impaired...
    Thanks for that Julian , I didnt realise LG did voice control, more research needed :)

Master

Thread Update SUCCESS,

As requested I am posting our , so far successful entree into the world of voice controlled TV’s

We bought this Tv a Hisense from Lewis at Chester Richer Sounds, a really helpful guy

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...e7400ftuk.html

We then aet it up using the existing Alexa Dot.

As part of the setup menu , it does very clever handshaking with the Dot and then low and behold voice control.

We can turn the TV on or off, change channel by saying Alexa Bbc1 , or channel 123. We can change the volume up and down plus mute. It opens up i Player. That was just playing with it for about 30 mins. We are well chuffed.

Mother in Law on the other hand is amazed and baffled by it, but leave it a week and she will be fine.

Steve.

Master
    That's excellent news. I've found Richer Sounds to be brilliant when I've bought from them.

Craftsman
    Great outcome glad it all works for your MiL.

Richer sounds are very good and the customer service is decent.

Master
    Cheers everyone I have learned things about “ SmartThings “ “ skills” I never realised I didnt know! Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Now back to the MIL house and the TV :)

Ps did you know Alexa has the capability to learn 70,000 skills? A skill for example is to turn a compatible lightbulb on , or read an email! The mind boggles.
    Last edited by higham5; 8th August 2020 at 20:37.