closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help: Caring for my mother

Craftsman
    If (when ?) mum needs to go into a care home, the local authority may not take the house into account when assessing finances if a mandatory or discretionary disregard is applied.

This article is a couple years old but worth a read.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-homeless.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I find it hard to believe this is true Mark. It’s your home, your family home. Perhaps someone with the right experience can chip in?
    I believe that is the case except for a spouse, relative over 60 or child under 18 also living in the home.

I find it hard to believe this is true Mark. It’s your home, your family home. Perhaps someone with the right experience can chip in?
    unfortunately unless you meet the specific criteria already posted above this is the case , my gran (who is 98) has been housebound for just over a year now and has carers go in 4 times a day has to pay from her own savings (this has been costing approx £750 per week) - when/ if she runs out of cash assets they will use the money from her home.

theres been a few hards truths posted in here (such as nothing getting done by GP's etc unless you pretty much say you are abandoning your relative )

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    unfortunately unless you meet the specific criteria already posted above this is the case , my gran (who is 98) has been housebound for just over a year now and has carers go in 4 times a day has to pay from her own savings (this has been costing approx £750 per week) - when/ if she runs out of cash assets they will use the money from her home.

theres been a few hards truths posted in here (such as nothing getting done by GP's etc unless you pretty much say you are abandoning your relative )

My understanding (based on my ongoing situation with getting care for my mother) is that the means-test for in-home care (carers visiting your gran x times per day) does not consider the value of the property. If she moves into a care home, then yes, the value of her home is considered, but as long as she remains in her own home, it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    My understanding (based on my ongoing situation with getting care for my mother) is that the means-test for in-home care (carers visiting your gran x times per day) does not consider the value of the property. If she moves into a care home, then yes, the value of her home is considered, but as long as she remains in her own home, it is not.
    sorry yes you are correct , i am working from the opinion that most older people dont get much better and often get worse , at some point there is a good chance they will end up in a home (at which time as you say the house will be taken into account for funding).

* the care itself is a postcode lottery as requirement can differ from region to region
    https://fullfact.org/news/social-care-postcode-lottery/
    Last edited by pugster; 8th August 2020 at 08:32.

Blog Entries
    Just to confirm the situation with care costs.

(1) Care at home is means tested and the value of the home is excluded from means testing.

(2) Permanent residential care is means tested and does usually include the value of the home. There are exceptions that allow the home to be excluded but currently none of them apply to my mum or me.

See #25 for where I commented on this.

I find it hard to believe this is true Mark. It’s your home, your family home.
    It is correct. As things stand, if my mum needed residential care then (with certain limited exceptions that do not currently apply to us) I would be made homeless to pay for the care. Yes, it's offensive, insane, inhumane, and explicitly penalises those who have invested in their own home over their working lives but those are the current rules.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 8th August 2020 at 09:28.

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    What would happen if your mum went into hospital and upon release you effectively refuse to care for her, citing anything that would concern the hospital.

Would social services have to step up by default at the insistence of the hospital?

Obviously very emotionally tough thing to do but if it got the best result for your mum it would be a result.

You would effectively block an acute hospital bed to other admissions. Sorry Mark to hear of your situation, I think you have personally been very sensible and unselfish in how you have dealt with this, wishing you the best

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crispin; 10th August 2020 at 08:17.

OP, is your mum a retired audiologist?

If so, I admitted her on Wednesday. Delightful lady, genuinely.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    You would effectively block an acute hospital bed to other admissions. Sorry Mark to hear of your situation, I think you have personally been very sensible and unselfish in how you have dealt with this, wishing you the best

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    My post was made when Mark was unable to access any help from social, care or medical services and seemed to in a very dark place himself.