closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: James Cameron vs Rolex Policy

Master

James Cameron vs Rolex Policy

I rang the RSC this morning to ask about getting the diver's extension on my Cameron swapped for ordinary Oyster links. After checking the lady on the phone told me that this would be a "modification" & as such breached Rolex policy so they will not be able to do it.
    Given that several members here seem to have had it done is this a new turn of events?
    I'm not desperate to get it done, other than I would never use the extension & 2 plain links would be more flexible.

You have to order the links and make the change yourself. The AD wouldn't remove the divers ext for me and I've paid £49 per link for two links to add on. I'm collecting the links on Saturday and think I'll have to fit them myself. No more free links with purchase.

Master
    Ah, I see. As I'm not desperate for the change I'll give it a month or so & see how it goes.
    Thanks for the reply

Master
    Had the AD remove mine for me in the shop, just felt more comfortable without (and looked better to me!)

I did not need extra links, as the bracelet was large enough for me. I assume you would only need them if you have a particularly large wrist? Or maybe I am misunderstanding...

The AD did say to me she had never removed it before! But was happy to do it. Interesting that RSC call this a modification! It is just removing a link is it not?

If you want Rolex links, email Watchfinder. I wanted some Rolex links for my DJ41 and they were about half the price of Rolex. I paid £30 per link.

Master
    When I bought mine, the AD looked at strangely when I suggested to remove it for a more comfortable fit. No mention of a modification, but sounds like a standard answer when they don’t know what else to say
    Last edited by mtagrant; 3rd August 2020 at 11:58.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    How big is your wrist?
    I take the dive links off and still have enough space on the glide-lock to go to about 7.75-8 inches (IIRC)

Remember if you're taking the dive extension out to use the same screw to attach a link back on to the clasp as its a slightly shorter screw than all the others.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    How big is your wrist?
    I take the dive links off and still have enough space on the glide-lock to go to about 7.75-8 inches (IIRC)

Remember if you're taking the dive extension out to use the same screw to attach a link back on to the clasp as its a slightly shorter screw than all the others.
    My wrist is 7.75 " but I like it to be loose enough to be able to get a fingertip under. At present it is comfortable but half of the extension link is showing.
    I could leave it & save the cost & the faff, it's not uncomfortable, just not aesthetically pleasing.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats a bum. Try a WTB for a link here?

If you go on WFs e-bay listings, all those lovely links removed from watches are listed for sale. Might be worth checking out. Haywood also sells links, but doesn't do mail order.

If you want the links quicker RSJ told me Mappin & Webb on Bond Street should have them in stock but do call before popping down.

It looks awful like that and you should just sell it to me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If you want the links quicker RSJ told me Mappin & Webb on Bond Street should have them in stock but do call before popping down.

It looks awful like that and you should just sell it to me
    It's absolutely gopping, and I couldn't inflict it on you. I think I'm going to stick with it for a month or so & then see how it has been. If I think it needs to be changed I've got a few tips for the links.

Have they reduced the number of links on Rolex models recently? I only ask, as the Submariner 16610 and various Exp II, GMT masters etc that I owned a few years ago always fit me perfectly with all the links fitted, I just had to adjust the micro holes in the clasp depending on the model. A friend has a new SS GMT and a modern Sub, swears they have all the links fitted and I’m embarrassed to say - when he said ‘try this on, see how it looks’ I couldn’t even get either over my hand with the clasp fully open (unless I pulled the extension on the sub right open) - I’m by no means a giant, are they aimed at the Asian market now so they can skimp on links? - sorry if that sounds odd, genuine question

Master
    I just had to order a link for my newish Exp 2 bracelet so that I could wear it comfortably. Cost £41 something and had to be shipped from Geneva, or so they said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    If you want Rolex links, email Watchfinder. I wanted some Rolex links for my DJ41 and they were about half the price of Rolex. I paid £30 per link.
    Or check watchfinders eBay shop - where they sell all the bits they remove off watches and also boxes / manuals, before they sell the watches on.

watchfindershop

Ah - see this has been mentioned as above!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    is it the newer James Cameron?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    is it the newer James Cameron?

So new I only got it last Friday! Seriously yes, a 126660.

So new I only got it last Friday! Seriously yes, a 126660.
    no worries though it might be I had a few links but older version

Master
    SITREP
    I went to the King's Hill RSC today where they happily took out the diver's extension & replaced it with 2 Oyster links - uber comfortable.
    And they returned the extension - I half expected them to try and keep it.
    Very helpful people there, easier than trying to do it myself!

SITREP
    I went to the King's Hill RSC today where they happily took out the diver's extension & replaced it with 2 Oyster links - uber comfortable.
    And they returned the extension - I half expected them to try and keep it.
    Very helpful people there, easier than trying to do it myself!
    No charge? Wow. I'm still waiting for my links!

Master
    No charge? Wow. I'm still waiting for my links!
    Oh yes, there was £40ish per link, fitted free of charge with a timing check & a brush up with a cloth throw in.
    It’s more comfortable than the diver's extension because the links are articulated & don't dig in at the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    What I've learned from this is to count the number of links very carefully if I ever buy a watch from Watchfinder!

Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    no worries though it might be I had a few links but older version

I recently bought the latest JC 126660 and noticed that now you get 5 and 5 1/2 links whereas the original JC Mk 1 I had was 6 and 5 links so Rolex seem to have just replaced a whole link with a half link giving slightly less overall length when you remove the divers extension.

WF way too expensive on SD43 links.
    Edit: didn't realise that was a half link, not sure what the cost is for that but no SD43 full links in stock from WF. Lots on eBay but all considerably more than from Rolex.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 8th August 2020 at 08:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I recently bought the latest JC 126660 and noticed that now you get 5 and 5 1/2 links whereas the original JC Mk 1 I had was 6 and 5 links so Rolex seem to have just replaced a whole link with a half link giving slightly less overall length when you remove the divers extension.
    I thought that so I went for 2 whole links. It's probably a bit more than I really need but the divers extension is one big piece, equal to 1.5 links but with no flex, it's solid. The 2 links are articulated so give me a better fit.
    The lady at the RSC said they are frequently asked to swap the extension for links.

Master
    WF way too expensive on SD43 links.
    Edit: didn't realise that was a half link, not sure what the cost is for that but no SD43 full links in stock from WF. Lots on eBay but all considerably more than from Rolex.
    A fool & his money are welcome at Watchfinder...
    My 2254 came from them in 2008, back then they only had one shop & prices were reasonable - my 1 year old 2254, box & papers was £895.
    Today's Watchfinder is a very different animal...

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Have they reduced the number of links on Rolex models recently? I only ask, as the Submariner 16610 and various Exp II, GMT masters etc that I owned a few years ago always fit me perfectly with all the links fitted, I just had to adjust the micro holes in the clasp depending on the model. A friend has a new SS GMT and a modern Sub, swears they have all the links fitted and I’m embarrassed to say - when he said ‘try this on, see how it looks’ I couldn’t even get either over my hand with the clasp fully open (unless I pulled the extension on the sub right open) - I’m by no means a giant, are they aimed at the Asian market now so they can skimp on links? - sorry if that sounds odd, genuine question
    They certainly appear to have made their bracelets shorter than they were with the old 5-digit serial models where I would usually take a link out.
    For my last 116000 I ended up buying a half link off WF on eBay to get a comfortable fit since Rolex wouldn’t supply direct. Seemingly they know what works and is comfortable with my wrist better than I do!
    Given the price it seems a very penny pinching policy to charge for extra links - in contrast when I asked Omega for an extra link for my Railmaster they kindly sent 2 FOC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    when I asked Omega for an extra link for my Railmaster they kindly sent 2 FOC.
    I got two free links with a BLNR about 5 years ago (needed one but sales assistant said take two, two is the max free) but have been told that policy is now finished.

Master
    Where it really starts to count is with the gold links.....

I've tended to ignore the link count and tell WF that the bracelet must fit a 7:50" wrist as part of the deal. They have always agreed and made sure the bracelet was right. My wrist is 7:25" so I usually have a bit of slack to play with. Sometimes a link off, other times just adjusting the clasp notches etc.

The above is with SS, not sure they would be so accommodating with PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I've tended to ignore the link count and tell WF that the bracelet must fit a 7:50" wrist as part of the deal. They have always agreed and made sure the bracelet was right. My wrist is 7:25" so I usually have a bit of slack to play with. Sometimes a link off, other times just adjusting the clasp notches etc.

The above is with SS, not sure they would be so accommodating with PM.
    That's a good idea, I'll remember that.