closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Deployant clasp

Apprentice

Deployant clasp

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any ideas about where to look (in the UK) for a brushed deployant clasp that will stay secure?

I’m very pleased with my new Mondaine Simply Elegant 36mm https://uk.mondaine.com/collections/...00-30351-16sbm

I’m buying a Hirsch Toronto for it and I’d really like a deployant clasp to increase the longevity. I’d like brushed/matte steel to match the watch case, but I’m really struggling to find one. I ideally would like the butterfly style, although I don’t mind too much as long as it is one that will stay closed when it is supposed. I’d quite like to keep it under £30.

Thanks.

Matt

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi there and welcome.

Have a look on Cousinsuk.com there should be something suitable.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Formex are streets ahead in build, weight and ease of adjustment on the fly - not UK-based, but you can order online, delivery charges are fair. Drop them a line to check on sizing for whatever strap/s you want to use them with - they're very responsive IME.

https://youtu.be/dFRkSHv2NS8

Apprentice
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I've checked all of them out.

The two that have a brushed 18mm in stock are https://waccex.de/en/watch-accessori...90FS18018&c=60
    and another I found: https://www.watch-band-center.com/wa...lasp-HeBF.html

I'm not familiar with these shops. What would you expect the quality to be like (especially of the second, cheaper one)? The retaining clips look pretty robust on both of these compared to most I've seen, which is great.

Matt

Craftsman
    + 1 for the Formex. The carbon Leggera clasp is fabulous and really low profile.

Craftsman

Deployant clasp

Quote Originally Posted by MattMatt View Post
    I had one of these, and although built well, the profile of it was massive and I ended up taking it off and buying the Hirsch variant (from Watch Obsession) as it sits really well on the wrist.

You might find on this forum people really pushing towards a mentality of Buy cheap, pay twice.

If I can dig the old one out and take the Hirsch off the Seiko it’s on I will take some photos.

Craftsman
    That was easier than I expected. Both were in the box next to me!

Although the difference doesn’t look that stark, the amount the cheaper one sits off the wrist is massive. With a slim watch like you have, it’s going to be noticeable that the clasp is a higher profile than the watch head.

Hirsch is the right one, fixed properly to the strap.

Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    + 1 for the Formex. The carbon Leggera clasp is fabulous and really low profile.

Those clasps look incredible! What a shame they don't come in different sizes. I'm thinking I need a Hirsch performance strap for my Baby Dreadnought, this buckle would have been a perfect partner to that strap.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Those clasps look incredible! What a shame they don't come in different sizes. I'm thinking I need a Hirsch performance strap for my Baby Dreadnought, this buckle would have been a perfect partner to that strap.
    FWIW there are two sizes - which Formex don't make clear on their site (they haven't grasped how marketable these are) - one is 18mm and the other 20mm iirc, albeit the overall styles are different. I found Formex very responsive, so drop them a line to check.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    FWIW there are two sizes - which Formex don't make clear on their site (they haven't grasped how marketable these are) - one is 18mm and the other 20mm iirc, albeit the overall styles are different. I found Formex very responsive, so drop them a line to check.
    Excellent. Thank you.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    Although the difference doesn’t look that stark, the amount the cheaper one sits off the wrist is massive. With a slim watch like you have, it’s going to be noticeable that the clasp is a higher profile than the watch head.
    Thanks for the thoughts and pictures, for the Formex too; it's very helpful and much appreciated. As you mention, my Mondaine is very slim, so it seems paying a little more for the Hirsch might be the way to go.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the longevity one should expect of a leather strap with deployant clasp vs with a tang buckle? E.g. twice as long?

Matt

Apprentice
    Strapcode has deployment clasps too.