closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Boundary fences, who owns or is responsible for them.

Boundary fences, who owns or is responsible for them.

Like many properties my place if looking from the front has a boundary/fence down the left, the right and at the bottom, my neighbor on the left has always assumed responsibility for my "left" fence so I have always assumed the one to the right is mine ? I had always assumed the one at the bottom of my garden was mine as well but I don't know.

My neighbor to the right who is a bit of a p*+*" says the fence on my right (his left) is his and also the one at the bottom of my garden is his, he has a L shaped garden which runs parallel to my garden and across the bottom as well.

Is there a 100% foolproof way of finding out who owns what ? having done a little research on the net nothing now seems any clearer to me but some interesting knowledge gained.

Thanks.

I may be wrong but I always assumed it was down to the deeds of the property and so never set in stone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I may be wrong but I always assumed it was down to the deeds of the property and so never set in stone.
    Yes, deeds is the certain way to ascertain who is responsible for which fences. Problem is older properties don't have all the annexes etc which show these things.

Newer properties should be much easier

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    In our case the one on the left is our responsibility and the one on the right is our neighbours

The one at the bottom of the garden is our responsibility

I seem to remember on previous houses that we have owned that various coloured lines were marked on the deeds to indicate ownership, I'll have to check the deeds on the current house, but I cannot remember ever seeing any???

Blog Entries
    Might be wrong but if the fence has arris rails if they are showing then that fence is yours
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Check your deeds. Different for everyone.

I recently had this problem. The deeds are the only place where you’ll find an official record. However, not all deeds have this recorded so there may not be an answer

On the drawings of boundaries of the property, there will be a T pointing into whichever property is responsible for the boundary itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Might be wrong but if the fence has arris rails if they are showing then that fence is yours
    This used to be the case, but nowadays people just have the 'nice' side of the fence facing their garden.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Might be the traditional way but if I was putting up such a fence I’d have the best (non-arris) side facing.

Deeds are the only sure fire way of telling. Could always ask other neighbours, if friendly, what’s the usual side to own in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    This used to be the case, but nowadays people just have the 'nice' side of the fence facing their garden.
    I read on the internet that the suggested "correct" way is to have the nice side on the neighbors side.

If you have the title plan for your property, the boundaries that belong to you should be indicated by small 'T' marks along their length.

You can download title your title plan (£3) from https://eservices.landregistry.gov.u...EnquiryInit.do

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I read on the internet that the suggested "correct" way is to have the nice side on the neighbors side.
    It is, but people today ...

Blog Entries
    Whichever way but if you go non rails and your neighbour does the same then on one fence you will have rails
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

My title plans show no "T" s, and I have fences on 3 sides.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    In our case the one on the left is our responsibility and the one on the right is our neighbours

The one at the bottom of the garden is our responsibility

I seem to remember on previous houses that we have owned that various coloured lines were marked on the deeds to indicate ownership, I'll have to check the deeds on the current house, but I cannot remember ever seeing any???
    Just doubled checked my deeds left and bottom garden mine join between the two the awkward bastardized next door lol.

Strangely enough around here both parties are jointly responsible for the fences.

So check the deeds.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My deeds show it in plan drawn version and also in words. Trouble is the words say the absolute opposite of the drawn plans. Very helpful !!

Foggy

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don’t start me on boundary fences,when I checked with land registry they told me the deeds weren’t worth the paper they were written on ,solicitor bent me over the desk.I wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    It is, but people today ...
    Unfortunately that ^^^^^^.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I would try and agree something with your neighbours in the first instance if nothing is on the Title, Deeds or original planning consent that may help. You could try and seek feedback from your wider neighbours and from the owners of who you purchased the property from although your solicitors should have covered this off as there is not hard and fast rules.

I’ve been involved in a number of boundary disputes over the years. One was resolved using mediation, a couple have been resolved as the neighbours have backed down, one was lost at court and two are currently about to go to court having now had surveys undertaken that are in our favour despite the property owners not being in agreement.

As a word of warning, as our position is very strong and if we win, we will look to recover costs although this is for the court award.

I would like to reiterate that you should try to avoid any boundary disputes and come to a mutual agreement if at all possible, even if you have to eat a little humble pie if you’re in the wrong.

B

With your back to your house the left is normally your responsibility

This was a decent read.
    https://blog.fantasticservices.com/g...ty-neighbours/

ps: It is hard to mediate with a total P*** :(

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    With your back to your house the left is normally your responsibility

Old wives tale.

Craftsman
    That’s the country we used to live in.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    That’s the country we used to live in.
    So true....

Master
    Blog Entries
    The reason for having the 'nice side' facing the neighbours is because the posts have to be in your land.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    The reason for having the 'nice side' facing the neighbours is because the posts have to be in your land.
    When using concrete posts the fence panel is in the center of the post.

Master
    As already said, check deeds...but every house I have owned I have always been responsible for the left side...so old wives tale or not, it may be more common to be responsible for the left as a reasonable guess!

Master
    The way my house deeds are written says something along the lines of

"If you stand on the road facing the front of your house, the fence pointing north is yours, and the fence to the rear".

That happens to be the right side for me, however for my neighbour who lives directly opposite, his is the left and rear.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    That’s a reason. On the other hand, makes maintenance less straightforward.