closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Window cleaning price through the roof post covid

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I don't understand this thread. Windows reach a natural patina after a few months, and should be left that way. You wouldn't polish a vintage Rolex after all.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Sounds like a good reply when swmbo suggests we ( I ) do ours!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

There are some people on this thread who would have made good 19th century mill owners. Personally, I have a Kärcher window vac' and do the windows myself, inside and out, in about 20 minutes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    There are some people on this thread who would have made good 19th century mill owners. Personally, I have a Kärcher window vac' and do the windows myself, inside and out, in about 20 minutes.
    Single port holed house? I cant get just the insides done that quickly & haven’t even ventured to the conservatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    £140 to clean windows is silly money, as I said before he’ll be on more than a skilled tradesman. It’s an amount of money that he won’t sustain and as been demonstrated will see him lose customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Genuine question Frankie; if someone asked you to do the job, how much would you quote them?

Trouble is a skilled tradesman probably wouldn’t do that job - So your gutter/window guy can can pretty much charge what he likes. I’m not saying its right, but the three quotes obtained says that’s the going rate at the moment. Sure there will always be a guy who does it cheaper, for cash, no public liability insurance, not paying tax/vat etc. I personally don’t like going up ladders so they can charge anything haha

Master
    Stop..

Site labourers in my area (Near Heathrow) earn between £70-£85 a day for an 8 hour day, so around £10.50 per hour.

Window cleaning is a fairly simple straightforward job, on par with labouring in terms of physical effort, ladders, weather dependency etc so I'd be expecting an hourly rate for window cleaners of less than £20 per hour.

I do our windows myself, so if I can do it, then pretty much any one can. 2 floor house 8 panes of glass and a front door at the front, 7 panes and 2 patio doors at the back, plus one side door and window.

It takes me less than an hour to do the windows, doors and frames, the longest part of the job is getting the ladders out, filling the bucket, find the squeegee etc, then putting it all away agan after, I'd guess the actual washing takes less than 40 mins.

Master
    Well bit the bullit today - got the 4m double out along with my drain rods, an old hand brush, cable ties and a bucket of sopy water
    Result - gutters cleared , facia sofet and gutters cleaned front and back
    Very satisfied
    Last edited by lewie; 8th August 2020 at 18:49.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Well bit the bull it today - got the 4m double out along with my drain rods, and old hand brush, cable ties and a bucket of sopey water
    Result - gutters cleared , facia sofet and gutters cleaned front and back
    Very satisfied
    Sweet - and saved yourself £30 that should buy you a coffee and a cake to celebrate

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Sweet - and saved yourself £30 that should buy you a coffee and a cake to celebrate
    Where's £30 come from?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Where's £30 come from?
    Yeh I thought that

Grand Master
    This is a job i tend to do myself, not to be cheap, but i like checking the guttering and fascias for any damage or required repairs, cleaning them is jus one part of the puzzle unfortunately!

Apprentice
    Yes, before the pandemic, I rarely used the services of cleaners, and I always did everything myself at home. But when the pandemic started, I started working 14 hours a day, and I had only one day off on Sunday. After all, I work as the head of the department in the hospital, and I constantly need to monitor all the patients, and because now people have started to get very sick again, I began to work almost every day. And God, how tired I am, because I feel exhausted right now. It's good that there are different services for cleaning windows and carpets. Otherwise, I would live in a dirty house, and I wouldn't say I like this.
    Last edited by fisher2; 4th November 2021 at 21:35.

£140 to clean a house's windows is absolutely bonkers.

We have quite a large detached home, with a lot of windows (it's an old house and access isn't the most straightforward to some of them) and our chap has just put his prices up to £29 for a clean, from £27 as it was previously.

Given that it takes him about forty minutes, using a long pole with a brush and pumped distilled water (so no ladders or detergents), I think that is perfectly fair.

Gutters etc we have done annually by someone else.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    We pay £20 a clean for our house which is pretty good value for a 3 storey old house with lots of windows (21 panes and door at the front, 25 panes, glazed door and patio doors at the back).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have mine done every two months, mixture of approx 30 windows and doors for £24.

Rain and an occasional wipe does it here. I suppose £30 on some vacuum mop thing my missus bought should be costed into the equation.

I also refuse to pay for car washing, a true Aberdonian.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Paid the usual £16 today. I'm not convinced that these pure water brushes on poles are any good but better than nothing & still worth £16 nonetheless.

Edit: 4 bed detached in Bath with conservatory.