closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Window cleaning price through the roof post covid

Window cleaning price through the roof post covid

Had a chap come out before lockdown and he did the whole house including frames, fascias and gutters for £30, he was here about 2 hours.
    He’s now quoting £140 to do the same job.....obviously told him to forget it as the time it takes him to do it means his labour rate is £70 quid an hour.
    Had another quote this morning for £120 and £130......these guys are living in dream land if they think they’ll sustain this.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Had a chap come out before lockdown and he did the whole house including frames, fascias and gutters for £30, he was here about 2 hours.
    He’s now quoting £140 to do the same job.....obviously told him to forget it as the time it takes him to do it means his labour rate is £70 quid an hour.
    Had another quote this morning for £120 and £130......these guys are living in dream land if they think they’ll sustain this.
    Supply and demand. He's trying to make up for lockdown losses and might get desperate people to pay this for a limited amount of time but no way is that sustainable. He's as screwed as everyone else...people won't be paying even £30 when they can't afford it in a couple of months.

I've not been back to the barbers since early-March and was wondering if prices might have gone up.

Master
    I think the last time I had mine done it was about £90
    I don't think £30 is realistic .

Blog Entries
    We get our outsides done for £10.00 it’s chalet bungalow and IMO that is stupidly cheap as is £30.00 for the job you had done if you can get a self employed man to do two hours for £100.00 i reckon that’s about right.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I think the last time I had mine done it was about £90
    I don't think £30 is realistic .
    £30 is realistic if that’s what he charged last time?

Gets to a point where your time isn't as valuable as getting a ladder up and doing it yourself...some reach that point quicker than others depending on what you earn and how able you are to get up a ladder. At £90, I'd definitely be up that ladder myself.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Our cleaner is charges £8.50 for around 12-15mins work in Edinburgh. So £34+ an hour. £30 is WAY too cheap for 2 hours work.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    We get our outsides done for £10.00 it’s chalet bungalow and IMO that is stupidly cheap as is £30.00 for the job you had done if you can get a self employed man to do two hours for £100.00 i reckon that’s about right.
    Its hardly a skilled job, I had a patio laid 2 weeks ago and wasn’t charged that per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Our cleaner is charges £8.50 for around 12-15mins work in Edinburgh. So £34+ an hour. £30 is WAY too cheap for 2 hours work.
    besides the point- he wants more than 400% more to do the same job.

Obviously not sustainable if he’s upped his prices . £30 for all that work for 2 hours isn’t .

I’m done with Window Cleaners after ours wanted £50 to clean out our gutters.
    I said I’ll have a think.
    Up the ladder I went the next day - they were all completely clean anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are serious, then wow, I would be doing whatever job that cleaner does myself! I can understand that price per minute for something I can't do or uses facilities I don't have (eg haircut), but for cleaning...no way, I'd be spending 10 minutes less on TZ!

Craftsman
    I'm in London and the guy who does mine charges 10 quid to do the front of the house. It's a three story town house and it takes him about 30-40 mins to do. He does nearly all the houses on the road so gets a full day's work out if it.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

£30 for two hours work is way too cheap. £15 per hour once he's on the job and set up? Then he has to pack up, drive to the next place and start again? £140 might be too much but £30 is more cheap than £140 is expensive.

£30 is below market rate in my opinion. Surprised he charged you this previously. I agree £140 too steep, but you shouldn't complain at an increase from £30 - if you do, just do them yourself. I do mine, but then I'm Scottish, and £30 could keep me in porridge for months.

Master
    You got lucky last time.

2 hours to do the job? Does he do inside as well, or do you live in a manor?
    Mine takes around 30/45 minutes to do ground, first floor and the one in the loft. He charges £15. Great guy as well.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    2 hours to do the job? Does he do inside as well, or do you live in a manor?
    Mine takes around 30/45 minutes to do ground, first floor and the one in the loft. He charges £15. Great guy as well.
    No, standard 4 bed detached, 2 patio doors, 1 front door and side window in the porch, 4 windows to the front, 1 to the side small, 3 to the rear of the house.
    Price this time wasn’t for doing gutters as they’re still ok from last time. So it’ll less time you’re correct
    Windows to the 3rd floor but they’re not covered and they spin around anyway
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 2nd August 2020 at 12:42.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs[/QUOTE

I do mine, but then I'm Scottish, and £30 could keep me in porridge for months.
    Love it! :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Gutters can take time and require higher ladder so I would £30 is too cheap.
    Mine also clears the virginia creeper from the roof down to a couple of feet from the top of the wall every year and charges £60, which is amazing value considering difficulty of access.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

We have 17 windows of various sizes, two lantern lites and four sets of doors, we pay £28 per month

Master
    I think the price charged is also going to depend on the equipment used.
    If you’ve got a guy in a battered old estate car with some ladders on the roof and a bucket and sponge, his overheads are going to be somewhat less than someone who is set up with more professional kit with say a van with a water tank in the back and telescopic brushes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's £20 to clean our windows and £100 to clean the fascia boards and clear out the gutters (Hertfordshire).

They don't use ladders anymore to do the windows - they use a brush with filtered water and let it dry naturally. Apparently that is to reduce the use of ladders for safety reasons.

The firm's boss reckons up to 50% of his customers are now struggling to pay and some have already stopped having their windows cleaned. On top of the lost business during lockdown, I won't be surprised if prices rise (he is still paying off the loan for all the new equipment).

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JonRA; 2nd August 2020 at 13:40.

Master
    I have got 15 large windows and I have been using the same bloke for more years than I can count. I pay £12 for a clean every third week. That includes wiping the frame over as well. He gets a decent bottle of scotch at Christmas.

I used to be a window cleaner, whole house including frames, fascias and gutters for £30

was he on drugs ? Nobody and i do mean nobody does that.

The new quotes you are getting are about standard which is why almost everyone opts for glass only once a month or 2 months.

With such short working time, travel, parking etc will probably double it so realistically not £34/hour.

Otherwise, multiples of the minimum wage seems over generous, pay my Mum’s cleaner £15/hour which everyone is happy with.

Craftsman
    If you are worried about how much money some business change you wouldn’t buy an iPhone. My first iPhone 4 cost £279 the new iPhone cost £1200. You can always say no and move on that’s the free market we live in.

Some one should phone Rolex and ask them there margin. I paid £1800 for a Kermit in 2010 a hulk cost £7450 this week Next week probably £7750. Got to love free market
    Last edited by Dandandanman; 2nd August 2020 at 14:07.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I used to be a window cleaner, whole house including frames, fascias and gutters for £30

The new quotes you are getting are about standard which is why almost everyone opts for glass only once a month or 2 months.
    Really?
    You mean other than the people who also pay that on here?

Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 2nd August 2020 at 14:51.

Master

I get mine done for £22, thats for around 20 windows 1 set of french/patio doors and set of bifolds

Really?
    You mean other that the people who also pay that on here?

They cant be reputable window cleaners working 2 hours on a job for £30.

Must be cash in hand cowboys working illegally cheating the tax and claiming benefits lol

Blog Entries
    In today’s market is the cleaner using a ladder to do the upper windows ? if yes has he got insurance , is the ladder secured correctly and i do not know but has the property owner got any responsibility to ensure the operative is working within H&S guidelines in the event if an accident?
    My guy uses the pure water and long handled brush method no ladders.

Must be cash in hand cowboys working illegally cheating the tax and claiming benefits lol
    Reputable.....I’ve never asked for credentials or made sure that they were a member of the master window Cleaner’s society if that’s what you mean?

Imagine doing it yourself, falling off the ladder through your conservatory roof and spending 8-10 weeks off work.

It probably wouldn’t happen but it could (assuming you have a conservatory).

The window cleaner is taking on that risk and hopefully insuring against the damage to your property.

Isn’t that alone worth £140.

Personally though, I’d rather pay £30 for someone to come along and spend twenty minutes cleaning my windows than spend three or four hours at the weekend doing it myself.

Reputable.....I’ve never asked for credentials or made sure that they were a member of the master window Cleaner’s society if that’s what you mean?
    Ask they if they have insurance to cover if they damage your property or if they accedentaly injure you or your family.

If a window cleaner is very cheap then it could be a sign that they are cutting corners such as paying for the proper insurance to even work on your property.

All this talk about window cleaning...I've never hired a window cleaner or cleaned them myself!

Master
    I find the £140 quote as just as unrealistic as the £30 quote to be honest. Anyone multiplying their price 4 fold either don’t want the work at all, or are so busy that they’ll chance a ridiculous price and there’s always someone who might pay it.

Likewise I can’t see anyone working for two hours for £30 doing that job. Taking into account time getting there and to the next job, materials and fuel (which may be minimal but there will still be some), invoicing and collecting monies, lost jobs due to weather conditions, especially in winter, it would never be worth it. Doesn’t stack up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I find the £140 quote as just as unrealistic as the £30 quote to be honest. Anyone multiplying their price 4 fold either don’t want the work at all, or are so busy that they’ll chance a ridiculous price and there’s always someone who might pay it.

Likewise I can’t see anyone working for two hours for £30 doing that job. Taking into account time getting there and to the next job, materials and fuel (which may be minimal but there will still be some), invoicing and collecting monies, lost jobs due to weather conditions, especially in winter, it would never be worth it. Doesn’t stack up.
    And yet down here in South Wales as a taxi driver, I aim for £15 per hour and that’s before all my running costs which are considerably higher than that of a window cleaner.

SydR

^^^ this.

When I was a lot younger I has a self employed job alongside my main employment. I started off charging the going rate locally for my services. Must have built up a good reputation as very quickly I was inundated with calls.

I doubled my prices and the volume of work didn’t diminish so I doubled it again. Work then dropped a little but was still filling all my time, and more, and making way more doing it.

Ours does the front of our four bed house including the porch and upstairs bay window. Also gives the frames a wipe.

£4.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have got 15 large windows and I have been using the same bloke for more years than I can count. I pay £12 for a clean every third week. That includes wiping the frame over as well. He gets a decent bottle of scotch at Christmas.
    And jolly grateful he is too!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

30-40 quid seems the going rate as been said on here a few times. If we’re saying that it’s worth 100-140 then their potential per day puts them on more than a qualified tradesman which is ridiculous

Ask they if they have insurance to cover if they damage your property or if they accedentaly injure you or your family.

If a window cleaner is very cheap then it could be a sign that they are cutting corners such as paying for the proper insurance to even work on your property.

Well I’m sure it’ll be well worth an extra £100 to know he’s got the right cover.

Blog Entries
    30-40 quid seems the going rate as been said on here a few times. If we’re saying that it’s worth 100-140 then their potential per day puts them on more than a qualified tradesman which is ridiculous
    At that rate plumbers will be moonlighting as window cleaners!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I’ve a 2 bed mid terrace and rang a company to hoover the gutter out as I feel there is A moss build up
    Rear is tough due to the conservatory hence the call - I’d do them myself if the rear was straight up a ladder
    They asked £60,for me was a fair wack- I’d guess 20 mins work max as they are only about 20 foot long

Another TZ 1st world problem?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master

Why not? Someone on minimum wage is going to be working two hours for £17.44 and that’s before the government take their cut for tax and NI.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Im sure we’re all looking forward to all the other services going up 400%- can’t wait for tomorrow when I tell my customers they’ll pay £280 per hour.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I agree

Or maybe for some reason 🤔 he didn’t want to do the job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Ours does the front of our four bed house including the porch and upstairs bay window. Also gives the frames a wipe.

£4.
    I thought we had stopped shoving kids up chimneys? £4.00

Established window cleaning company with the same squad of lads for years. They're do a swathes of our town so there must be enough money in large volumes. To be fair, if they doubled it I'd still pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    I thought we had stopped shoving kids up chimneys? £4.00