closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ESim for Travel

Master

ESim for Travel

My daughter is off for 3 months in Australia, Japan and South Korea soon. She has an iPhone that can take an eSim. So we were thinking of one that covers all those regions might be a decent solution. Anyone got a suggestions as to a supplier or a better way to do it?

I used Airalo for Malaysia. They also do a pan-Asia e-sim.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

There's been some discussion about eSIMs on here before: thread with some content here basically reminding people to have other means of accessing their accounts as a backup if their phone goes kaput in the context of eSIMs https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...45#post6079545

I used Airalo before to good effect in the US as an eSIM.

Unless she's back and forth I'd check that individual e-sims aren't cheaper that one that covers the three countries.

I use Mobal in Japan. They also offer an international SIM (not eSIM though I think?) which works pretty much anywhere in the world. The advantage being you get one number, regardless of which country you are in.

The billing is online, in English, and simple to understand. Not something that can always be said for Japanese phone contracts.

https://www.mobal.com/international-sim-cards/ for info.

(I am customer here so if you use this link, apparently we get each get ¥1000 - about £6…we are not going to get wealthy here - off. I am not sure it works for the international SIM as no one has ever clicked it, but hope springs eternal )

“Majority of profits go to charity” too, apparently.

Master
    The other option is to have your home UK mobile as an e-SIM and just pick up a physical Prepaid sim for each country visited in turn. Or go with Vodafone and their whatever it is a day roaming deal. For my Aussie plan that’s $5 per day or around £2.75 per day and I get all the allowances I get at home. Aus will be covered on a Vodafone UK plan but not sure whether the other countries are coveted.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Hi. I also have used Airalo before.

Very easy to use with the app. They also had some of the best rates. I would definitely use them again.

Cheers, Shaun

I've used Airalo in a number of countries and would definitely recommend it. Sometimes it can be a bit fiddly to fine tune the settings for an individual country or network and generally it requires that you already have internet to get it working. If it's your only device you might want to spend some time staying on the free WiFi in the airport until it's all configured and working. They do per country, per region and global packages.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Three have Australia as part of their included roaming destination, maybe pick up a pay as you go (not sure if they do eSIM) and use that? Then local sims for Japan and South Korea.

Aíralo is good but can get expensive and I believe it doesn’t allow local calls/texts - it’s data only.

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Three have Australia as part of their included roaming destination, maybe pick up a pay as you go (not sure if they do eSIM) and use that? Then local sims for Japan and South Korea.

Aíralo is good but can get expensive and I believe it doesn’t allow local calls/texts - it’s data only.
    This is correct, data only. Though a lot of the time today you can use apps like What'sApp or Telegram to make calls using the data, but naturally this relies on the recipient also having this.

I'm a fan of Airalo too, for short stays.

I also have a Skype account with credit in case I need to make phone calls, including calls back home. Skype is often overlooked nowadays but it's great for those occasions when you need to call a landline.

I was looking at downloading an eSim for our trip to the US this month but it looks like it’s only £2 a day roaming with my SKY mobile sim now.