closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart GMT watches

Master

Steinhart GMT watches

Can an owner tell me whether the GMT hand moves smoothly anti-clockwise to set or in hourly (or half hourly) "jumps" please

I had the ocean vintage GMT and it moved in hourly jumps.

Master
    It's half hourly for the main dial markers but hourly as far as the bezel markers are concerned.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    any problems with gmt hand alignment??

I see so many on Ebay that look like they aren't aligned correctly

The ones I had could be adjusted by the half hour. There have been GMT issues with misalignment. I recall with the North Sea limited edition quite a few were returned to Steinhart for correction. To be fair they turned them round fairly quickly, but decent QC should have stopped them going out in the first place. There were similar issues with the 39mm bezels that refused to turn. You shouldn't have to attack a brand new watch with dental floss and silicone grease.

Craftsman
    I’m wearing Ocean 1 GMT now so gave it a quick test - the GMT hand rotates smoothly when the watch is ticking away. When using the quickset function to set the GMT hand it jumps in half hour increments. So to get it to hit the markers the GMT hand should ideally be set (when using the quickset function) when the minute hand is bang on twelve. If you try and adjust the GMT hand when the minute hand is at say, ten minutes past the hour, it will appear to hit the minute/index marker just after the hour marker so appear to be off.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    I’m wearing Ocean 1 GMT now so gave it a quick test - the GMT hand rotates smoothly when the watch is ticking away. When using the quickset function to set the GMT hand it jumps in half hour increments. So to get it to hit the markers the GMT hand should ideally be set (when using the quickset function) when the minute hand is bang on twelve. If you try and adjust the GMT hand when the minute hand is at say, ten minutes past the hour, it will appear to hit the minute/index marker just after the hour marker so appear to be off.

Thanks for explaining 🙂

Mind you, I've just spent my money on something else now...!!!

Craftsman
    If you do consider it again it could be a good bargaining tool - I’d suggest that the majority of misaligned hour hands in sales post pics are down to human error as opposed to an issue with the watch itself, so might work in your favour if negotiationing a better price.

Master
    I have several of their GMT models and none are misaligned. Either I've been lucky or the problem isn't as common as suggested.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app