closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Penknives

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I wonder if there is any case law on what a good reason could be?

Why would you need a long locking blade to walk a dog?

I guess you are unlikely to ever get into trouble for carrying one of these unless you did something stupid.
    There may be case law but you are correct, it's left to the appreciation of the officer controlling you, the desk sergeant, the CPS and the judge, if it goes that far.
    An opinel 8 or 9 are not a long blade, even though it does exceed the legal length for EDC, as well as having a locking blade. But it's a good working knife should you need to cut anything bigger than a twig, or your dog's collar if stuck in wire.

Interestingly, the law in France is identical in terms of EDC*, yet the attitude is very different (for now; as civility degrades across the Western world I have no doubt that things will get worse unless we try to repair the social fabric) and while you'll get nicked for any sort of zombie knife, or if you behave stunningly with a fruit knife, no gendarme will bat an eyelid if you are just being controlled at random and have one of those 2 knives in your pocket.

*: it differs in as much as switchblades are legal to own for example, but not for EDC
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I would like the Opinel No 13.

See it on This Page
    Thats what a couple I met in france said they used in the garden.

They ran a market stall selling local fruit and veg and had pretty big opinels they used on the stall probably a 12.

Sardina,Corsica,France etc. they can not understand our restrictions as they all use local knifes as they where designed for openly.

Never understood why someone would expose themselves to the opinions of an officer/judge with potentially serious ramifications, rather than just use one of the plentiful options that don’t require any justification to carry. Seems silly to me.

Often the officers don’t know the law. More than one person (anecdotally) has let plod confiscate their legal knife only to be called back to the cop shop to be given the knife back due to the desk sergeant spotting that the knife was legal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Never understood why someone would expose themselves to the opinions of an officer/judge with potentially serious ramifications, rather than just use one of the plentiful options that don’t require any justification to carry. Seems silly to me.
    That’s my take, I have a folding legal knife that is more than capable of doing anything a No. 8 can.

https://togknives.com/products/higonokami-folding-knife

Has anyone had experience with these?
    I am after a thin, inexpensive, easy open knife and this company makes half decent kitchen knives.
    I like, maybe even prefer carbon steel over stainless as it’s easier to sharpen, although does blunt a bit easier.

Any other suggestions out there I should look at? Must be UK carry legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    ...I am after a thin, inexpensive, easy open knife and this company makes half decent kitchen knives.
    I like, maybe even prefer carbon steel over stainless as it’s easier to sharpen, although does blunt a bit easier.

Maybe this: https://heinnie.com/real-steel-heinnie-haynes-luna-glow-in-the-dark?

I find mine easy enough to open two-handed. I did try using a thumb stud but didn't keep it.

Something British although in stainless

https://bakewellcookshop.com/joseph-...et-knife-s90s/

Quelque chose français en acier carbone

https://heinnie.com/douk-douk-petite-folder

Etwas Deutsches aus Kohlenstoffstahl

https://www.cyclaireshop.co.uk/otter...scription=true
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 19th January 2024 at 11:56.

Thanks Gents I will have a look.

https://heinnie.com/real-steel-heinn...w-in-the-dark/

One of these ordered, no other reason than its glow in the dark and I don’t have a glow in the dark knife!

Whilst I love the idea of an expensive knife I will only use it and then lose it eventually.

https://heinnie.com/douk-douk-petite-folder
    This was a close 2nd
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th January 2024 at 12:40.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A good place for ideas.

Though nowadays I carry traditional knives and especially old English.

Without doubt the Spyderco UKPK and Urban models are 2 of the best (usability wise) by necessitie of design.

https://heinnie.com/knives-and-tools...stPgNoCustom=1

If you decide on a higonokami then I think this one is worth a look https://heinnie.com/higo-bonsai-moku...folding-knife/

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    If you decide on a higonokami then I think this one is worth a look https://heinnie.com/higo-bonsai-moku...folding-knife/
    Ooo That’s lovely for the money

Need to stop looking at knives…

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    And so many of them! Must stop looking...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have one of these to replace my no. 8 to avoid ever getting caught the wrong side of the law.

Very well made. I have removed the clip on mine.

https://heinnie.com/kizer-vagnino-zi...folding-knife/

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I have one of these to replace my no. 8 to avoid ever getting caught the wrong side of the law.

Very well made. I have removed the clip on mine.

https://heinnie.com/kizer-vagnino-zi...folding-knife/
    I can't help reading that name as "vagino".

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    FTFY: You can't keep them in your pocket just in case (nor in your car, for that matter) but you can take them if you go camping, or even walking your dog in the woods.
    I just take a pair of secateurs when I'm walking Dot.

Far easier to cut bits of holly or whatever that has grown across eye level single handed than with a little knife.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Maybe simply because «*good reason*» is just that: a lock or a fixed knife are safer to use especially if you are not proficient using a knife that can close up on you; a longer blade than the legal edc 3“ is a blessing in most jobs outside that require a knife.
    And to come back to Opinel, I have had many, still have my trusted 9 at hand for the saucisson as well as 4 or 5 more in 8 format

and I find the 9 much more suited to my hands than the 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I just take a pair of secateurs when I'm walking Dot.

Far easier to cut bits of holly or whatever that has grown across eye level single handed than with a little knife.
    When I know it’s time to clear up the rights-of-ways I go with secateurs, Laplander and Gransfors Bruk too. But a pocket knife takes less volume for most walks.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 19th January 2024 at 15:47.

Agreed on taking the risk. However, I do prefer to use a locking blade so simply take any knife out of my pocket when I head into the wider world.

Well thanks to the forum I have yet another new knife

For the money is seems very good Quality, quick and easy to open, good strong hinge and…

It glows in the dark!

I like the style. It looks like you bought three knives!

When I know it’s time to clear up the rights-of-ways I go with secateurs, Laplander and Gransfors Bruk too. But a pocket knife takes less volume for most walks.
    Maybe a bit OT, but I’d love to see if you have any Finnish knives. I surmise the Laplander you mentioned might be one.

I have had this knife sitting in WD40 for a couple of weeks
    It’s a Greek Army issued clasp knife from 1967
    It was rusted shut but I think with a bit of effort it will clean up ok.
    It was my father in laws, he was issued it during his national service. It is still razor sharp

Ok no more knifes for a while!

Penknives

The Laplander is a folding saw. I have a few Scandinavian knives but I think only those two are Finnish.

Last edited by Saint-Just; 20th January 2024 at 16:44.

The Laplander is a folding saw. I have a few Scandinavian knives but I think only those two are Finnish.
    *snip
    Cheers! The Kallioniemi looks like it’s perfect for whittling.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Cheers! The Kallioniemi looks like it’s perfect for whittling.
    Joonas' work is perfect full stop. Feels superb in the hand. Such a shame he stopped making them (unless he started again).

The other one is from Lapland as you would have guessed, but I do not know much about it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well thanks to the forum I have yet another new knife

For the money is seems very good Quality, quick and easy to open, good strong hinge and…

It glows in the dark!

Very popular with the EDC crew.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe a bit OT, but I’d love to see if you have any Finnish knives. I surmise the Laplander you mentioned might be one.
    Those in the know love a Puukko for the outdoors.

Ooh a Kallioniemi. I am sweating unnaturally!

Joonas' work is perfect full stop. Feels superb in the hand. Such a shame he stopped making them (unless he started again).

The other one is from Lapland as you would have guessed, but I do not know much about it.
    I had a similar reindeer horn knife as a kid. I have no idea where I got it or what has happened to it. As also yours it had a souvenir like quality. Decent craftsmanship but by no means the work of a master. I admit that I know next to nothing about Saami culture, which that clearly is or tries to look like. For all I know that might be a long lost ceremonial knife of ancient gods. The factory made blade suggests otherwise though. I can’t make out what is stenciled on the blade, might be a clue there.

Sincerely yours,
    Captain Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Those in the know love a Puukko for the outdoors.

*snip
    You may be right, but after looking through that video I’d hazard a guess that no one in that video can be said to be in the know, save maybe the quiet salesman behind the counter.

I have a folding blade Marttiini, I know that it's not high end or anything but fine for my needs.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a similar reindeer horn knife as a kid. I have no idea where I got it or what has happened to it. As also yours it had a souvenir like quality. Decent craftsmanship but by no means the work of a master. I admit that I know next to nothing about Saami culture, which that clearly is or tries to look like. For all I know that might be a long lost ceremonial knife of ancient gods. The factory made blade suggests otherwise though. I can’t make out what is stenciled on the blade, might be a clue there.

Sincerely yours,
    Captain Obvious

You may be right, but after looking through that video I’d hazard a guess that no one in that video can be said to be in the know, save maybe the quiet salesman behind the counter.
    It was so you could see all the variations in one space,not for the tourist.

I like that Marttiini. The birch handle gives it a Finnish flair. I still have my Benchmade Megumi I bought back in 2015 thanks to this forum. I don’t know why I can’t seem to use it. I’ll rather have a Victorinox SAK or a small Opinel than the Benchmade.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I have a folding blade Marttiini, I know that it's not high end or anything but fine for my needs.

I like that; here's my Marttiini (not a penknife I know):

And thanks to the forum I've now picked up this; QSP UK friendly cleaver type - very well made.

Sincerely yours,
    Captain Obvious.

I am not sure the blade is factory made as it is "brut de forge" unlike the polished edge but it could be. It seems very well made and the knife clicks in place when sheathed although there is nothing but reindeer horn inside; it's pinned rather than just glued so someone spent a very long time on it. It is in any case indeed a souvenir as it bears the "Sami Duodji" mark.
    I struggle to read the stamp on the blade. It looks like J??am with a cursive L at the end. the 2"?" are in a narrow place but 3 distinctive vertical strokes, so one of them could be "i" and maybe the other "h" in either order, but this is pure guesswork

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

I like that a lot!

I am not sure the blade is factory made as it is "brut de forge" unlike the polished edge but it could be. It seems very well made and the knife clicks in place when sheathed although there is nothing but reindeer horn inside; it's pinned rather than just glued so someone spent a very long time on it. It is in any case indeed a souvenir as it bears the "Sami Duodji" mark.
    I struggle to read the stamp on the blade. It looks like J??am with a cursive L at the end. the 2"?" are in a narrow place but 3 distinctive vertical strokes, so one of them could be "i" and maybe the other "h" in either order, but this is pure guesswork
    Forget about it. Just had a quick google and it’s bloody Swedish. Ingvar Svonni, an artist born in 1943.

https://www.mutualart.com/Artist/Ing...BC86BA459FED1C

Interestingly enough, there are several Svonnis making similar knives. Your Ingvar of course, and also Gunnar Svonni, Olav Svonni and Algot Erling Svonni to name a few. Apparently a prominent Saami family with knife making and artistry running in the blood. I guess I judged the quality of your item a little hastily.

Wow

First my apologies for mistaking a Swedish knife as Finnish. My only defence is that Sami people do not exactly differ on either side of the border.
    Secondly, thank you very much for your research. Much appreciated, a bit ashamed not to have done my own homework.

Wow

First my apologies for mistaking a Swedish knife as Finnish. My only defence is that Sami people do not exactly differ on either side of the border.
    Secondly, thank you very much for your research. Much appreciated, a bit ashamed not to have done my own homework.
    Cheers, I’m sure what you say about Sami culture is true. In general Finland is culturally very close to Sweden and that is especially so when it comes to knives. I was just trying to make fun of our eternal rivalry that is mostly good spirited.

Quote Originally Posted by Baden H View Post
    I’ve been chatting to him on Facebook messenger we are trying to find if we are related Cockers he makes some lovely blades.
    Did you get one of his knives?

Just booked a small parcel with Royal Mail and saw this on the checkout page:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: on and from Monday 22 April 2024 Bladed Items will be prohibited by Royal Mail

Bladed items
    International - Not allowed in the mail
    UK - Not allowed in the mail
    The Offensive Weapons Act 2019 (Commencement No. 2 and Saving Provision) Regulations 2022 These Regulations bring into force specified provisions of the Offensive Weapons Act 2019 (c. 17) (“the Act”).