closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Penknives

Master
    Blog Entries
    I realy like that one those little pen blades are terrific.

clean the pivot in a bowl of warm water opening and closing and try using a tooth brush or razor cleaning brush as well then oil.

sometimes I have to do this several time to get all the grit out to free them off.

dry the wood as soon as possible away from heat and sun.

OK, here's a bunch of what I'd classify as penknives, the 'tactical' Micro Recon included, that I have here at my current location. Photo skills unchanged. Anything catches your eye, feel free to ask.

Finally arrived, my takeaway from someone else's thread:

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    OK, here's a bunch of what I'd classify as penknives, the 'tactical' Micro Recon included, that I have here at my current location. Photo skills unchanged. Anything catches your eye, feel free to ask.

I have no need for another lock knife but the Buck design always looks “just right”.

Blog Entries
    Finally arrived, my takeaway from someone else's thread:

Got a couple of Maserin folders, they’re good knives generally.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I have no need for another lock knife but the Buck design always looks “just right”.
    Yep, it's a great little knife.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Got a couple of Maserin folders, they’re good knives generally.
    Yep. I sent the merchant a quality checklist, and yet they managed to overlook a tiny gap between one of the liners and the wooden scale at the butt -- but for the price it doesn't really make sense to return for replacement, and the knife feels solid enough not to be worried about it.

A couple more that didn't make it to the family photo earlier.

The Wenger Nail Clip is my choice for flight trips and always in my carry-on. One thing it's missing is a bottle opener, so I had an excuse to buy LM Brewzer for my keychain.
    Last edited by rodia77; 20th September 2020 at 12:27.

Found this little guy today when reorganising my stuff.

It will never end now...

Found this little guy today when reorganising my stuff.

It will never end now...
    I’ve got one of those little knives on my key ring. They are great, but I’ve lost count how many times I’ve cursed it for not having a bottle opener!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I’ve got one of those little knives on my key ring. They are great, but I’ve lost count how many times I’ve cursed it for not having a bottle opener!
    Yep. Judging by its mint condition I must have barely carried it and I suspect that was exactly the reason why LM Squirt was my choice. Now that I have the Brewzer, I think I'll actually switch to the Style, as Squirt seems an overkill weight-wise.

Yep. Judging by its mint condition I must have barely carried it and I suspect that was exactly the reason why LM Squirt was my choice. Now that I have the Brewzer, I think I'll actually switch to the Style, as Squirt seems an overkill weight-wise.
    If I had a dremel or similar I’d be tempted to modify the screwdriver / file into a bottle opener (I’d probably balls it up though!)

Master
    Blog Entries

Master
    I normally carry 2 - A Real Steel Luna to which I've added a thumb screw and a Swiss Army Manager - the one with the integrated pen which has been useful on many an occasion.

maseman

Master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    One should never buy a tool without a bottle opener. I have a Micra on my keyring which is used almost daily for bottle duties, and that was also the first task my recently revived Victorinox completed . . .

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Weirdly, I agree with you. I feel like I should hate it, but I don't.

Sorry for the thread resurrection
    The Mrs is out, so I thought I would sharpen a few penknives I have in various bags. I noticed the one that sits in my work bag was getting rather blunt.
    So I went through all my bags, jackets, gun slips etc
    I didn’t realise I had so many! Not only that a fair few are almost identical! (Handy for jeans watch pockets though)
    Still they are all nice and sharp now.

Not all are UK carry legal but they are not carried here.

Billy Casper might recognise a few as most came from him I think!

That’s a good number of knives there.
    This just reminded me that I picked up an old knife from a boot fair in September, from memory it was about a fiver. I gave it a little clean up and oil at the time and forgot about it. I now need to sharpen it. The springs are frightening, need to keep those fingers well clear when it snaps shut!!
    I am contemplating another light clean but it’s now usable with plenty of character.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    That’s a good number of knives there.
    This just reminded me that I picked up an old knife from a boot fair in September, from memory it was about a fiver. I gave it a little clean up and oil at the time and forgot about it. I now need to sharpen it. The springs are frightening, need to keep those fingers well clear when it snaps shut!!
    I am contemplating another light clean but it’s now usable with plenty of character.
    They are super easy to sharpen as they are carbon steel. Almost all of these I have picked up over the years have been in similar condition or worse. I would run some wire wool over the metal to get rid of the rust. Not for aesthetics but if you do nick yourself the cut is less likely to get infected. Then coat in a thin layer of oil to help keep rust at bay.

I use a Leatherman Bond. UK legal and a tool kit in a single compact package.

Shout out to the Leatherman Raptor Rescue too. Best in class trauma shears with various other features built in. They cut reliably every time, which is basically what you want from these.

(internet pics)
    Last edited by M1011; 4th December 2023 at 00:22.

Blog Entries
    I’ve picked up a couple from recommendations on here. Plus a cheapo ceramic knife which is handy as it holds its sharp edge very well.

z

Some of mine...

Last edited by Templogin; 4th March 2023 at 21:51.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A new tool "box cutter" on a new knife and the first 91mm with a nail file.

4 colourways so far as far as I can see.

The wooden one has amazing,engraving depicting Swiss culture.

I probaly wont buy it as at the moment I am swamped with SAKs and have run out of draw space (leading to loosing some).

A good explanation of the engraving.

https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Pro.../p/1.3909.E223
    Last edited by bwest76; 3rd December 2023 at 17:49.

Master
    I carry a 30 year old swiss on my travels , i also carry a bottle of 80% IPA and deionized water with a pin drop of dish soap in it . This shoukd clean any bacteria off the blade .

However for food I carry a titanium cutlery set and chopsticks (possibly tactical given how tough ad reasonably pointy they are) . I used to have a sigg combined fork and penknife cutlery set that splits apart but the knife on that was too sharp to eat with . Seriously it was like a scalpel , I was more scared of it than my kukri.

I carried a leatherman titanium as a back up but I bent the blade and dismantled it to repair it without realizing I’d need a jig to reassemble it . Never got round to fixing it back up . I prefer the blades on the swiss , they keep a keener edge and are easier to keep sharp .

I also very occasionally carry a full size army issue Kukri but I’ve only ever used it for chopping the ends of Christmas trees to get them to fit into stands . It woukd probably work okay for jointing meat.

If in doubt for food , take the swiss , a spork and the chopsticks .

I have several, though this one, which I inherited from an Uncle, is special to me....

It was the knife he took with him when he went fishing and holds a keen edge.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I have several, though this one, which I inherited from an Uncle, is special to me....

It was the knife he took with him when he went fishing and holds a keen edge.
    Does it have a makers name on it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I carry a 30 year old swiss on my travels , i also carry a bottle of 80% IPA and deionized water with a pin drop of dish soap in it . This shoukd clean any bacteria off the blade .

However for food I carry a titanium cutlery set and chopsticks (possibly tactical given how tough ad reasonably pointy they are) . I used to have a sigg combined fork and penknife cutlery set that splits apart but the knife on that was too sharp to eat with . Seriously it was like a scalpel , I was more scared of it than my kukri.

I carried a leatherman titanium as a back up but I bent the blade and dismantled it to repair it without realizing I’d need a jig to reassemble it . Never got round to fixing it back up . I prefer the blades on the swiss , they keep a keener edge and are easier to keep sharp .

I also very occasionally carry a full size army issue Kukri but I’ve only ever used it for chopping the ends of Christmas trees to get them to fit into stands . It woukd probably work okay for jointing meat.

If in doubt for food , take the swiss , a spork and the chopsticks .

Have you seen these?

You can buy the full kit or just the attachments (which is what I did).

I also have some old Wenger inox military issued fork and spoons that clip together which I use in and out of the house.

Someone was kind enough to send me a birth year spoon (its very old,sadly) as like the issued SAKs they have year dates.

That Opinel set doesn't seem very well thought through to me: one, you can only use one utensil at a time (ie no knife + fork combo available), and two, it doesn't seem very compact, space saver etc.

Years ago I bought a Primus set like this:

https://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/...ar-394229.html

I can't remember to have ever used it, but it's lightweight, nearly full size and air travel friendly.

That Opinel set doesn't seem very well thought through to me: one, you can only use one utensil at a time (ie no knife + fork combo available), and two, it doesn't seem very compact, space saver etc.
    Agreed. Plus I prefer the nş9 as it fits my hand better.
    I always use an old Austrian Army cutlery set, with spoon, fork and knife locked together thanks to the can/bottle opener.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries

Years ago I bought a Primus set like this:

https://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/...ar-394229.html

I can't remember to have ever used it, but it's lightweight, nearly full size and air travel friendly.
    100% correct but in this instance I bought it just for fun, you can use them alone anyway but short of course.

I have some nice European knives with forks and bottle openers that are also fun to use.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Agreed. Plus I prefer the nş9 as it fits my hand better.
    I always use an old Austrian Army cutlery set, with spoon, fork and knife locked together thanks to the can/bottle opener.
    I modify the smaller models to fit in the hand better its very easy,it is also why SAKs without key rings are better if you want to use them.

I carry a 30 year old swiss on my travels , i also carry a bottle of 80% IPA and deionized water with a pin drop of dish soap in it . This should clean any bacteria off the blade...

...as long as you give it enough time. Will Isopropyl Alcohol Kill Germs?:

...The properties within isopropyl alcohol act are known as antimicrobial which means isopropyl alcohol kills microorganisms (bacteria, fungi, germs) or stops their growth – such as the spread of germs. It kills 99.99% of germs within about 10-30 seconds, making it the perfect sterilisation tool...

See this link for "why is 70/30 IPA a better disinfectant than pure IPA?"
    Last edited by PickleB; 4th December 2023 at 19:30.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    ...as long as you give it enough time. Will Isopropyl Alcohol Kill Germs?:

...The properties within isopropyl alcohol act are known as antimicrobial which means isopropyl alcohol kills microorganisms (bacteria, fungi, germs) or stops their growth – such as the spread of germs. It kills 99.99% of germs within about 10-30 seconds, making it the perfect sterilisation tool...

See this link for "why is 70/30 IPA a better disinfectant than pure IPA?"
    I know , hence why its about 80% . I dilute it with deionised water about 4:1 from a 99% bottle of IPA .
    Its also pretty good for cleaning glasses and screens .

I know , hence why its about 80% . I dilute it with deionised water about 4:1 from a 99% bottle of IPA .
    Its also pretty good for cleaning glasses and screens .
    It was the time I wanted others to see. I used to use the mixture simply as a wipe before I realised why they wait after cleaning your arm with an IPA wipe before inserting a canula (it's not simply to let it dry).

This is my recipe for lens cleaning (same ratio for various volumes):

dishwashing liquid 20 ml 10 ml 5 ml colourless, no antibacterial, no perfume (eg Ecover Zero)
    95% isopropanol 120 ml 60 ml 30 ml
    top up to 1 l 500 ml 250 ml with water - preferably distilled
    I also have a 70% IPA/water mix around for disinfecting things. I must do as you suggest and add a little washing up liquid to see if it improves its cleaning properties.

Some of what I owned and last two what I usually carry. I did own 4 Ray Cover custom knives, but pic with all 4 to small to post

Still own bottom two

Own 3 - top left, bottom right and bottom

Two I carry.

Swiss Arm Alox Pioneer and Spyderco Delica

Master
    My small collection. From left to right, Victorinox Forester Wood, Leatherman Signal, Opinel, Victorinox Farmer Alox and a Leatherman Micra. All get used depending on where I'm at and what I'm going to be doing.

So yeah, as I was checking out my pen knife collection in the pen knife drawer I noticed a couple of knives were missing...
    Not sure if my son stole them or I have put them somewhere...

In general when I carry one on me it is chained to my belt loop and then goes back in its drawer.

So anyway, here's some pics

Sent from my SM-M325FV using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    So yeah, as I was checking out my pen knife collection in the pen knife drawer I noticed a couple of knives were missing...
    Not sure if my son stole them or I have put them somewhere...

In general when I carry one on me it is chained to my belt loop and then goes back in its drawer.

So anyway, here's some pics

Sent from my SM-M325FV using Tapatalk
    What are the three that are not Vic or Opinel?

I've got the usual assortment of Swiss Army knives and odds and sods but also this clasp knife:
    (I used to have/may still have somewhere the Navy equivalent (jack knife) with the marlinspike)

It looks a bit abused, and it is, but the springs are still really strong and precise.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I've got the usual assortment of Swiss Army knives and odds and sods but also this clasp knife:
    (I used to have/may still have somewhere the Navy equivalent (jack knife) with the marlinspike)

It looks a bit abused, and it is, but the springs are still really strong and precise.

Nice. Copper bail & no bottle opener, early ww2 methinks.

Master
    Blog Entries

These are built like tanks,they where tougher than us back in the day.

Can you read the date on the tin opener?

These are built like tanks,they where tougher than us back in the day.

Can you read the date on the tin opener?

Master
    Blog Entries

I have a big selection of these,I only buy good ones I can use.

Yep great old things.
    I have quite a few myself.

I have a big selection of these,I only buy good ones I can use.
    They are great (and surprisingly affordable) bits of history.

Master
    What's the blue Opinel? I do like my Opinels currently use a modified no.12 for day to day bits around the house or out walking.

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    What's the blue Opinel? I do like my Opinels currently use a modified no.12 for day to day bits around the house or out walking.

No 12 I thought that was sword sized,I have an old no9 and thats big.

I also have a nice selection of the originals without lock and a re issue.

Master
    No 12 I thought that was sword sized,I have an old no9 and thats big.

I also have a nice selection of the originals without lock and a re issue.
    Unmodified it would be, but it's got a cut down blade and handle, so is about the size of a No.6 at a guess, certainly smaller than my No.8's

Penknives

A little SAK geekery for a wet, miserable Sunday. Different shields you might find on a Swiss Army knife.

1. A Red Cross with WK stamp in the cross (Soldier knife)
    2. Silver 'Old Cross' (civilian)
    3. Swiss Army shield with seperate WK stamp (Soldier knife)
    4. Modern Victorinox shield.

For anybody who trawls car boots, if you see old looking Wengers or Victorinox/Elsener/Victoria with interesting features like compressed fibre scales, exposed pivots or shackles then grab them.

Wengers, one from 1940s, the other 1950s.

Last edited by BillyCasper; 10th December 2023 at 14:00.

Lots of SAK geekery here, including the info that WK is a quality control mark and stands for Waffenkontrolle.