closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Seikos

My Seikos

Often the "gateway" into this madness, I enjoy Seiko's range, from the wonderful, perfectly proportioned chronographs from the 1970's through to the perfection and obsessive attention to detail of Grand Seiko.

Mine is a modest collection, but each watch is special in its own way. I've managed to resist the rabbit hole that is the diver range, that way madness lies. Here goes:

6138-0020 "Panda": This has a beautiful cream linen effect dial with grey-blue subdials. One of my favourite watches, recently serviced and lightly refurbed by .olli., (O.N.Atelier) and he made a superb job of it. As is often the case, it needed a replacement centre chrono wheel, which are becoming increasingly hard to find.

6138-300X "The Japanese Speedmaster" Not a great deal to say about this, I bought it from an eBay seller who turned out to be a trader in Seikos which have allegedly been put together in Filipino sweatshops. It's been serviced, but needs the attention of somebody who knows what they're doing, many repairers won't go near a 6138 these days. It's actually a good looking watch, the dial is a lovely dark iridescent blue, and as with other 6138's, nicely proportioned, legible, and easy to use.

6138-0011 "UFO" Bought from my good friend Omegary of this very Forum, a lovely example of a fairly chunky 6138, due to the substantial case.
    I've seen polished and brushed examples of the UFO, I'm still unsure whether they were available in both finishes from new.

6139-6002 "Pogue" "Water 70m Proof" dial, this is the watch that started it all for me. I remember gazing longingly at these in the windows of jewellers, dreaming of the day when I might be able to afford one. It's certainly striking, the bold gold dial and Pepsi bezel made it stand out among the conservative everyday watches surrounding it. I finally bought this example in 2009, it's been serviced, and I hardly ever wear it, which is a shame.

The ubiquitous "Fifty Five Fathoms" conversion. Just because.

First Generation Monster. Bought new in 2009 (can anybody spot a trend here?), it does, of course, have the non-hacking, non hand-winding 7S26 movement, so I tend to wear it for a few days at a time, then it goes back into the box for a few months.

SARB-035. I bought this from Creation, on a bracelet, which has Seiko's "pin and collar" system, which is designed to eject one tiny collar across the room, never to be seen again, when you try to adjust it. Which is why it's on a strap. It's an excellent everyday watch, hacks, can be hand-wound, and is nicely understated. Perfect.

And while we're on understated everyday watches, a quartz Grand Seiko, bought from Sales Corner in January of this year, and my current default everyday watch. So subtle, so beautifully made. And so accurate.

Another mod, this is my "Planet Fauxcean". Dial, hands and bezel from Dagazs, 7S26 movement, so non-hacking, non hand-winding, it's an homage to Omega's Planet Ocean. Sort of. Who doesn't love a modded Seiko?

And last, but by no means least, my Takuro Yura. One of only 600 made for the Japanese domestic market, designed by racing car designer Takuro Yura, everything about this watch is special, from the flip-up case, which is released by a quarter turn of the bezel, through the lugs which are designed to look like suspension wishbones, to the unique box and instruction manual. And it's made from titanium. It's delightfully bonkers, and wonderfully daft at the same time. One of my favourite watches of all time.

I doubt that I'm finished with Seiko. I suspect that I've barely started.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Great collection! I think you’ve got the right strap on each watch too - for some reason it pleases me to see the chronographs on rallye straps.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Great collection! I think you’ve got the right strap on each watch too - for some reason it pleases me to see the chronographs on rallye straps.
    Thank you. Most of them are on ATG Vintage Racing straps, sadly no longer available, but when they were I was able to buy a few for 19mm lugs, as featured on 6138's.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Ace! I have had the first four, and got the GS!

They got me into watches and I still go back to them time and time again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great collection ! Glad to see you still have the Takuro.

Craftsman
    Nice collection of seikos there.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Every day is a school day! The Takuro is a new one for me, barking mad but wonderfull at the same time. Very nice collection.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I can only echo others comments on some great watches !

I like the vintage to modern element of the single Brand. Very cool !!

Nice...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Every day is a school day! The Takuro is a new one for me, barking mad but wonderfull at the same time. Very nice collection.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    It’s a interesting watch, I wrote about mine here if you want to read some find out more.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...a-Yura-Sbdp021
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Love the panda

Master
    Lovely to see these. My Seiko accumulation is not as nice as your collection, but you've inspired me to photograph them and round them up in a post. Maybe at the weekend.

I especially like the SARB. So elegant.

Very nice collection. Really love that pogue!

Dude I love every one of those beauties especially the Takura Seiko Speedmaster that is extremely rare and a superb watch.Love Your collection.

Love the chronos! Whatever your view on Seiko losing their way, there is a lot of choice in great watches pre-2010. I do think the monster needs to be on the bracelet!

I’ll head over soon to the Seiko thread and share my Seiko SOTC there. No doubt some nice Seiko collections within the community.

Great collection. I’ve had a few in my time as well. I do regret selling my panda a few years ago.

Love the Pogue as well, not had one of those before and could do with some colour to counter act the standard place or white dial.

Lovely collection, although I'm sure I can see a couple of sneaky divers in there

Blog Entries
    Great collection…. Everyone should be a Seiko fan!