closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: cheap Chinese Miyota movement arrived today

cheap Chinese Miyota movement arrived today

I was looking for something on Ebay the other week (not a watch) and came across this in China which is pretty much an Omega rip off and I was curious about how well or badly it was made - I had to pay an extra £3 for the Miyota non hacking "upgrade" over the standard Seagull movement and was amused by the text on the dial proclaiming "chronometer", its called Corguet in the Ebay listing but the dial is sterile apart from the inaccurate claims about performance. Ceramic bezel, 41mm diameter, 11mm thick and display back - it arrived today a week after ordering. I gave it a good wind and stuck into onto my timegrapher for a bit of fun and being used to pretty ropey Miyota and Seiko movement performance was quite surprised to see this thing showing 0 sec dial up, 0 sec crown up, +6 sec dial down and +1 sec crown down with beat error of 0 in all cases and amplitude close to 300...maybe that Chronometer claim was less of a lie than I had thought. Anyway, its just a bit of fun but does show how good these low priced movement can be and I assume this came off the production line with no adjustment. It came on a decent enough NATO strap, bezel action isnt too bad and the construction looks totally fine at the moment but time will tell how it stands up to the abuse that its going to get e.g. gardening, working on the car etc!. Pic below.
    Keith

Out of sheer bordom during lock-down - I ordered a Corguet Aquaterra for the very same reason - it has not arrived yet but will see what it's like when it arrives and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Out of sheer bordom during lock-down - I ordered a Corguet Aquaterra for the very same reason - it has not arrived yet but will see what it's like when it arrives and report back.
    I have heard some pretty bad stories about the "brand" though so dont expect too much! BTW I dont intend to test its depth rating because it hasnt got one...just says water resistant like in the good old days.

good luck
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    I have heard some pretty bad stories about the "brand" though so dont expect too much! BTW I dont intend to test its depth rating because it hasnt got one...just says water resistant like in the good old days.

good luck
    Keith
    For what I paid I'm not that bothered - I was more interested what £50 buys you...

Grand Master
    Looks and sounds great!

Journeyman
    This design seem to get lot of attention now. Seen quite a few looking to make look-alikes like this.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    cheap movements can do amazing things for a short time.

I regulated a £28 vostok with hind wind movement.

The movement probably cost them a few quid to make.

I tested it against an atomic clock.

The results would beat alot of Rolex and Omega.

13/02/20
    23:35 -1 SEC / OFF WRIST

14/02/20
    07:35
    08:35 -1 SEC / ON WRIST
    09:45 -1 SEC
    12:45 -1 SEC
    14:00 -1 SEC
    15:15 -1 SEC
    16:00 -1 SEC
    18:25 -1 SEC
    19:30 -1 SEC
    20:35 -1 SEC
    21:25 -1 SEC
    22:00 -1 SEC
    23:35 -1 SEC / OFF WRIST

15/02/20
    08:50 -1 SEC / ON WRIST
    09:35 -1 SEC

I had a pop at the Corgeut bronze BB homage during lockdown as I fancied a 'bronze' watch but didn't want to spend a fortune incase I didn't get on with it... it has never seen any bronze! I think it is PVD coated and resembles more of a copper colour, I like it, but it's not quite scratches the itch of a bronze watch for this reason.
    Had I known about Steeldive at the time of ordering, I would probably have been better going for one of those since they are bronze by all accounts?
    Anyway, after a strap change - as the one supplied is garbage - it's not a bad watch, it gains about 5 seconds a day. I was impressed enough to get a SS one for work, it will get a battering being submerged in water and knocked about, so we will see how long it lasts...
    I realise the 'homage' factor isn't for everyone, but compared to some of sub/daytona homages that sekonda and rotary are putting out on the high street, pound for pound they seem like great value for money... So far...

Craftsman
    Coincidentally this vid popped up on my YouTube feed just before I read this article, so I had a look.

https://youtu.be/7YAgINOJGhI

This guy tests the water resistance of a Corgeut ‘Aqua Terra’ in a water pressure machine. It lasts for an hour submerged at 30bar with no water ingress. During the second hour, at 40bar, a little water gets inside. Which basically means you can easily do regular swimming in one of these, just don’t spend hours under water at >30 metre depths!

I suppose the caveat is I doubt Corgeut have the strictest QC, so just because his model survived 30bar it doesn’t guarantee everyone’s will.

It’s a decent vid to be fair, he explains everything very clearly, worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    I had to pay an extra £3 for the Miyota non hacking "upgrade" over the standard Seagull movement
    I just ordered the blue version with the Seagull movement, which according to my research (although I didn't bother to ask the seller who would most likely get it wrong anyway) is an ST-16. The Miyota, I believe, is is an 8215. AFAIK both movements are surprisingly good for what they cost and I don't think the Miyota is necessarily the better of the two. However, the ST-16 is hacking, so that's why I went for that version.

Hopefully this will tide me over until I can afford a real SM300. I expect the Omega cal 9300 co-axial will be a teeny bit better than either of them.