closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Roller Garage Doors

Master

Roller Garage Doors

So I'm get fed up with the up and over door and would really like a sectional/roller door.

any advise, DIY or get the pros in?
    Brands, fitters, types etc?

Not a clue!

Cheers

Russ

Master
    Following with eagerness because I’m tho king of doing mine! Also no clue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Id say get the pros in. I had one fitted a year ago by Birkdale and am very happy with it so far. They sell through Costco too but it was cheaper to go direct I found.
    https://birkdale.co.uk/

I had quotes from a few firms and they seemed a good price for the quality of the door.

We installed a Hormann sectional door 2 or 3 years ago and would recommend. The one we got was insulated too which was good for the winter. If you're around north London/Essex/Hertfordshire the company we used were SDM Doors and I would also recommend them. No affiliation etc.

Craftsman
    I had the same problem. Ended up getting someone recommended by a TZer to install a pair of side hinged Garadors, something like these. The guy operates in/around Bucks/Herts.

Master
    We had a roller garage door fitted, colour matched to a new front door.

http://www.warmprotection.com/pdf/wp...aragedoors.pdf

Craftsman
    We've just moved into a house with one and I'd get the Pros in. Ours broke a couple of days into owning it as a plastic stop had worn away and the whole thing almost dropped as it had over rolled. It's bloody heavy and ended up getting a fitter out to repair and it's been no bother since.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I had the same problem. Ended up getting someone recommended by a TZer to install a pair of side hinged Garadors, something like these. The guy operates in/around Bucks/Herts.

I am looking for this type of door for my garage, how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I inherited one at a previous house - hated it. It was noisy and clunky - the slats sometimes stuck and then unjammed so the door dropped a foot or so with an almighty shudder. And it needed servicing every so often. I imagine the previous owners (my parents-in-law) had fitted a decent quality one but it had got some years behind it when we took it over (and it was 14ft wide) so my experience could well be atypical. But it has put me off having another.

I'm on my second house with a Gliderol. The roller doors are a solid sheet of metal with no joins. No complaints so far.

https://www.gliderol.co.uk/product/g...l-roller-door/

Master
    I have a Seceuroglide Excel and it's been great the last 9 years it's been in place.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    We installed a Hormann sectional door 2 or 3 years ago and would recommend. The one we got was insulated too which was good for the winter. If you're around north London/Essex/Hertfordshire the company we used were SDM Doors and I would also recommend them. No affiliation etc.
    I had the same in my last two houses. Worked really well for me, and didn’t seem too expensive fully fitted at the time.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Had one for 15 + years, very few issues and wouldn't swap back to up and over..

Just spend a bit more for quality, Somfey motors have a good reputation for longevity and take a look at the remote controls they come with as many are cheap plastic, so don't last long at £30 to £40 a pop.

They have different systems for the safety edge too and some are more reliable than others.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    We had a roller garage door fitted, colour matched to a new front door.

http://www.warmprotection.com/pdf/wp...aragedoors.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    I have a Seceuroglide Excel and it's been great the last 9 years it's been in place.
    Both good roller doors. It's worth paying for the Somfy Rollixo upgrade on the Seceuroglide door. If you've got the headroom above the lintel (Usually 300mm) always go for the 75mm slats over the 54mm as they are much stronger with bigger guides.

If it's a sectional you are after, Hormann insulated are the best you'll get.

Be very wary of the really cheap rollers as most are unreliable & not H & S compliant, when it goes wrong you'll struggle to get them back & other installers won't be keen to help as they would then inherit the non compliant H & S liabilities.

For clarity, I'm in the garage door business (I'm outside your area so looking to sell you anything) & would be more than happy to have a quick chat if you require any further information. Ping me a pm with your number & I'll give you call.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wads View Post
    Both good roller doors. It's worth paying for the Somfy Rollixo upgrade on the Seceuroglide door. If you've got the headroom above the lintel (Usually 300mm) always go for the 75mm slats over the 54mm as they are much stronger with bigger guides.

If it's a sectional you are after, Hormann insulated are the best you'll get.

Be very wary of the really cheap rollers as most are unreliable & not H & S compliant, when it goes wrong you'll struggle to get them back & other installers won't be keen to help as they would then inherit the non compliant H & S liabilities.

For clarity, I'm in the garage door business (I'm outside your area so looking to sell you anything) & would be more than happy to have a quick chat if you require any further information. Ping me a pm with your number & I'll give you call.
    That’s good to know !
    Did some research & somfy motors were highly recommended, I also liked the alarm & safety features, also the manual override if needed.
    Key fobs are very nice as well :)

I had three quotes for sectional door, I wanted if fitting like the brochures so no frames showing, wasn’t until Brian turned up & measured & informed me not possible due to internal wall in way of rails.
    Very happy with the roller & garage is so much warmer in the winter = bonus.

Craftsman
    Does anyone know if you can fit a roller shutter door onto a carport.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by damperman View Post

Yes, they only require fixings/support each side (Not across the top) but would probably require a full cover box to keep the rain off the motor unless you clad round it. If it's on a remote control you will need a safety edge with the transmitter on the inside of the door & control panel well protected from the weather. I've presumed the carport here has a roof.

Just be a little wary if it is likely to be hit by very high winds on both sides as big doors can blow out of the guides in exceptional circumstances. All CE marked doors will have been wind tested on the outside face to ensure stability in high winds but not on both sides.

Craftsman
    I think the sectional doors look better than the "slatted" roller types. We have an insulated one (Hormann) and it's been brilliant, I'd recommend them. It replaced an up-and-over door on a double garage, when one of the side assist springs broke I could barely lift it, it weighed a ton (must have been steel rather than aluminium).

Quote Originally Posted by damperman View Post

You definitely can, as I’ve seen lots of them over the years; but as to which and which solution is best, I wouldn’t have a clue.

Craftsman
    These guys are great and fitted ours

http://shutterspecsecurity.co.uk/

We have roller doors on both our garages. They are certainly better than up-and-over doors in that they take up less space, and there's less chance of accidentally hitting something (such as a car that you didn't know was parked very close!) when they are being opened.

My only gripe is that they seem to be a bit slower opening and closing than an up-and-over door. Maybe I'm just impatient - and it's only a matter of a few seconds - but it is a minor (if first world) irritant.

Craftsman

Roller Garage Doors

Thanks for your reply

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I am looking for this type of door for my garage, how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?
    I had a custom set made up for my grade II listed house as they weren't a standard size. Was about £1,300 plus VAT all fitted with old one removed/disposed of etc.

The guy I used is James Stephenson at www.casecurityshutters.co.uk

He also works in conjunction with a guy who installs electric gates and he did a great job motorising a big heavy pair of hardwood driveway gates for me too.

Very happy to recommend, no connection to his business.

I had a custom set made up for my grade II listed house as they weren't a standard size. Was about £1,300 plus VAT all fitted with old one removed/disposed of etc.

The guy I used is James Stephenson at www.casecurityshutters.co.uk

He also works in conjunction with a guy who installs electric gates and he did a great job motorising a big heavy pair of hardwood driveway gates for me too.

Very happy to recommend, no connection to his business.
    I think I recommended casecurityshutters to broxie, and can only agree with the positive sentiments here.

James has since been around as I've had other items to consider... I cannot fault him, his services across advising/pricing/installing/'after sales'. When the time comes will definitely use him for a Hormann front door, to match the double (Hormann sectional) garage doors he supplied/installed for us.

uktotty - as you're around Berks it's a no brainer. If you'd like a personal intro feel free to drop me a PM.

I’ve been following this thread hoping someone will make a great recommendation for someone in the Cambridge area who can replace my two aging garage doors with a pair of Hormann electric insulated sectional ones, and possibly a new front door to match.

Any Cambridgeshire recommendations?

ETA - In saying this, I guess for a good sized job like mine, the chap recommended above would probably be happy to travel an hour off his usual patch....

Just realised our current doors are also Hormann, and although they were there when I bought the place, I am very pleased with them:

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Just realised our current doors are also Hormann, and although they were there when I bought the place, I am very pleased with them:

How are you getting on with the VanMoof?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    How are you getting on with the VanMoof?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Very well so far. Early days, and I’m probably using the boost button far too much - generally for most of the uphill parts of any ride - but great so far. I’ll be using it regularly bad part of my commute and fat loss regime - I have a 20 month goal of getting back to single digit body fat levels - here goes nothing :)

Journeyman
    Just been quoted £5k for a roller double garage door from crocodile... feels quite expensive so two more local firms coming next week. To be honest I wouldn’t give my business to them as I didn’t like the sales guy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Just been quoted £5k for a roller double garage door from crocodile... feels quite expensive so two more local firms coming next week. To be honest I wouldn’t give my business to them as I didn’t like the sales guy!

5k were you paying for his 4 months furlough?
    Should get a pair for £2.5k

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Very well so far. Early days, and I’m probably using the boost button far too much - generally for most of the uphill parts of any ride - but great so far. I’ll be using it regularly bad part of my commute and fat loss regime - I have a 20 month goal of getting back to single digit body fat levels - here goes nothing :)
    Just been into the office in Amsterdam and back on my X2.

25km in 1hr 20 according to Google Maps, done in 1 hr with the boost button and in Dev Mode (37kmh cut off).

Great bike, but, especially in Dev mode, very battery intensive, I had to do a full recharge at work to get back again.

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Just been into the office in Amsterdam and back on my X2.

25km in 1hr 20 according to Google Maps, done in 1 hr with the boost button and in Dev Mode (37kmh cut off).

Great bike, but, especially in Dev mode, very battery intensive, I had to do a full recharge at work to get back again.
    Wow, you rode your garage door into work? I'm impressed. (think you're in the wrong thread mate :-) )

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Wow, you rode your garage door into work? I'm impressed. (think you're in the wrong thread mate :-) )
    I think that he may be referring to posts #26/#27/#28 in this very thread. :-)

Eek, it's jumped species!

Master
    So 2 years on, I have an issue, called https://www.casecurityshutters.co.uk/ and sure enough he's coming to take a look!
    This is old school service

Craftsman

garage doors

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    So 2 years on, I have an issue, called https://www.casecurityshutters.co.uk/ and sure enough he's coming to take a look!
    This is old school service
    This firm has just fitted a Hormann garage door and front door. The lead time for delivery was about 14 weeks.

Not only were they the most competitive in price, their service was second to none. I have no connection but just happy to have experienced excellent service at a competitive price.