closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTAF... do people actually buy these things ?

Banned
    Blog Entries

WTAF... do people actually buy these things ?

From the company that brought you the £949 monitor stand (monitor not included BTW - that's another £5000)

and the company that brought you the £699 wheels for your £5000+ computer

I present this... a 2 metre long thunderbolt 3 cable... which costs £129 !!!

Now I understand that their computers and phones are complicated things, developed in-house (mostly), and with state of the art functionality, and can command a premium, but charging £130 for a wire that can be had for £28 on Amazon is just extracting the urine.

Do people really buy these things (presumably without thinking) ??

I know that people will draw inevitable comparisons with a £10k watch doing the same as a £10 one, but there are genuine differences between those two watches... I'd be massively surprised if that cable cost more than $5 to make.

Yep, there are a lot of people out there who STILL believe that paying more for a cable can improve a digital signal!

A fool and his money, as they say.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

It's nothing more than a brainwashed cult.

Do people really buy these things (presumably without thinking) ??
    no they buy a cheaper cable but they check the spec first so they know if it’s a 40gbs or 20gbs cable, one that is active or passive or just a usb3.1 type cable.

Who is it?

Quote Originally Posted by P9MES View Post
    Who is it?
    Apple. Who else could do it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am an Apple fan (owning just an iPhone and Airpods). I work in software and the Mac OS in my opinion is superior from a stability/reliability standpoint. I truly believe for some of their products you are paying more for a better thought out, designed, and executed product. But its really hard to throw your weight behind Apple when they do things like this.

On the flip side, those products aren't sold for the likes of us. To their target audience, its probably the equivalent of us buying our normal cables.

I can't remember the laymans economic book I was reading about this but it was saying companies that have a wide demographic of customers, their main aim is to extract the most each 'tier' of customer is willing to pay.

Apple aren't horrendous...their base level iPad is actually really good value for money and you'd receive the same customer service buying the base iPad that the rich guy has buying his £120 cable.

Its exactly like the £50-100k + watch options from anyone really.

They are not even aspirational purchases, they are odds and sods for the 1% purchased by people employed to spend the money. What's a £200 cable when it's on a desk worth £100k in a house worth £30 million.

Don't get me wrong I am not complaining in any way shape or form long may it continue, the 1% need to spend and much as possible over the next few years to keep many many many people in work.

It's up there with the highway robbery that is an Omega nato strap.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It's up there with the highway robbery that is an Omega nato strap.
    And Breitling service prices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    On the flip side, those products aren't sold for the likes of us. To their target audience, its probably the equivalent of us buying our normal cables.

I can't remember the laymans economic book I was reading about this but it was saying companies that have a wide demographic of customers, their main aim is to extract the most each 'tier' of customer is willing to pay.

Apple aren't horrendous...their base level iPad is actually really good value for money and you'd receive the same customer service buying the base iPad that the rich guy has buying his £120 cable.
    It's the whole market segmentation thing. We have a friend who lives in Battersea. She bought this really delicious bread from a stall at a local farmer's market. It was priced at £1.50 then suddenly it jumped up to £3.50. The stall holder told her he couldn't sell it at the older, lower price, but once he bumped the price people assumed it was much better and his sales picked up. The story has a happy ending, he sold it to her at the old price.

Crazy prices. I could do with a couple of plugs and cables for our Apple products. Anyone know of anywhere reputable that isn’t Apple (prices)? I don’t want a house fire due to some Chinese fire risk from EBay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    I am an Apple fan (owning just an iPhone and Airpods). I work in software and the Mac OS in my opinion is superior from a stability/reliability standpoint. I truly believe for some of their products you are paying more for a better thought out, designed, and executed product. But its really hard to throw your weight behind Apple when they do things like this.
    hmmm

Personally I use Windows, Linux and macOS and they all have their strengths and weaknesses and are really much of a muchness nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Crazy prices. I could do with a couple of plugs and cables for our Apple products. Anyone know of anywhere reputable that isn’t Apple (prices)? I don’t want a house fire due to some Chinese fire risk from EBay.
    Can’t go wrong with the chargers/accessories from Anker or RavPower sold on amazon.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    hmmm

Personally I use Windows, Linux and macOS and they all have their strengths and weaknesses and are really much of a muchness nowadays.

I'd be using my Chromebook Pixel all the time if my workplace didn't insist on stupid F5 software for the VPN client which only works on IE.

Apple definitely have an advantage over most by being able to control their software AND their hardware... this is likely to get even better now they're dumping Intel in favour of their own silicone.
    However, they definitely take the p155 with accessories and peripherals that you get in the box from other brands.

Thanks I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Can’t go wrong with the chargers/accessories from Anker or RavPower sold on amazon.

Anker or if you want to spend a bit more Belkin. 90% of our wires for all devices are Anker - mini USB, micro USB, lightning, and USB C. Laptops are a different story.

Apple are due a port change and their iPad pros are already USB C so I wouldn't put much money into cables.

We have a bunch of these dotted about and don't really use the official Apple plugs anywhere.

Blog Entries
    I can see the point about the cable in the OP being expensive. But some people believe it's worth paying.

As for Apple, the only thing I can say is their stuff works for me. I-phones, I-mac and I-pad (swmbo) all work well, no real complaints. Compared to the Windows fixit game it's all a bit easy.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

😂 and that's for a kettle lead!
    https://www.analogueseduction.net/ma...ins-cable.html

I've had 2 x 2mtr lengths of their Odin speaker cable @ £24k on demo. 😅

I have used Anker and also Amazon Basics, both from Amazon. The quality is very good, especially Anker.

Thanks, I ordered some.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I have used Anker and also Amazon Basics, both from Amazon. The quality is very good, especially Anker.

I read somewhere yesterday that this cable actually is on the cheap side, because of it supports some advanced speeds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I can see the point about the cable in the OP being expensive. But some people believe it's worth paying.

As for Apple, the only thing I can say is their stuff works for me. I-phones, I-mac and I-pad (swmbo) all work well, no real complaints. Compared to the Windows fixit game it's all a bit easy.
    Yep, and some people believe in fairies at the bottom of their garden!

It's rather like the statement that 'your warranty could be invalidated if you don't use our.......'. The important word here is 'could', but for a lot of people they mentally substitute it with 'will'!
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
     and that's for a kettle lead!

I've had 2 x 2mtr lengths of their Odin speaker cable @ £24k on demo. 
    And could anyone, honestly, hear any difference between that and decent quality 'ordinary' speaker cable Rod?
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I agree about Anker, good kit....but I’ve had some tat from
    Amazon Basics. I bought a 2m charging lead (which would reach over the back of the sofa) and it was thick and nasty and the end fell apart after 6 weeks. Replaced with another which lasted 7 weeks.

Maybe the £130 one would last longer?

...I've had 2 x 2mtr lengths of their Odin speaker cable @ £24k on demo. 
    Nice little "starter" cable, you should consider upgrading to some Real Man's loudspeaker cables, such as Siltech's Triple Crown at £93,820 for a 4m pair...

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    And could anyone, honestly, hear any difference between that and decent quality 'ordinary' speaker cable Rod?
    We could hear differences over cheaper silver cables but percentage wise not enough to validate it's cost. It is staggeringly good.
    It is horrendously difficult and expensive to manufacture. No company in the UK can make it ( it's made in the USA).
    This stuffs made for people with titanium black Amex cards, they do sell it though strangely enough.

I just learned this evening my teenage son paid £320 for a plain white crew neck t-shirt.
    One day perhaps we’ll look back and laugh about it...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It’s good value if he wears it every day for the rest of his life.

I think that these are the ones knitted from unicorn spit by 21 year old genuinely blonde Glaswegian virgins, so a real bargain when you think about it.

Its for people with a good job. Like a barrister who makes £800 an hour

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    I just learned this evening my teenage son paid £320 for a plain white crew neck t-shirt.
    One day perhaps we’ll look back and laugh about it...
    I buy sale stuff very occasionally from End website. I often put prices from high to low to see how out of touch I am and how crazy it is.

Sports cap £300. Track suit bottoms £1200. White shirt £600.

When did trainers become so ugly and alien like? What is really popular is black socks glued to soles as trainers.

The same people buying this stuff must be buying £120 cable.

Master
    I’m worried that Apple is becoming a bit like one of the luxury watch brands we know and love. In the past the prices have been entirely justifiable to those using them professionally, and well worth the extra for the design and the ease of use. People would say, ‘I could bolt together a faster computer for a fraction the price’, but the experience of using it (and indeed bolting it together) would be very different. But once phones hit £1k Apple started to feel like a luxury product, and not just a well designed product, and now we have to expect accessories with premium prices too.

That said, the new cable design is very nice. Of course I don’t care what’s coming out of my Thunderbolt devices so long as it works, but for phones / mouse and trackpad charging these black fabric cables are a big improvement over the old plastic ones that would always wear near the ends, something they really needed to fix. As for the £5k monitor, that’s a very specific piece of kit and not to be compared with cheaper alternatives. If you’re working on a feature film / Netflix / Amazon Prime series and need to see 4K video at 1:1 with a timeline underneath it’s very handy and the price is about what you’d expect (stand and all!), but if you don’t actually need a 6k monitor with reference modes and reasonable HDR, it’s probably not for you.

This was resolved a few weeks back. Can't remember the thread but someone who had properly tested it posted. Something about anechoic chambers and secret rites.

SydR

WTAF... do people actually buy these things ?

We had a company try and charge us £990 (ex VAT) each for a 5m ethernet cable to connect a medical information system to the network. We needed 50 of them!

Saved the NHS a fortune by buying them from RS Components.

😂 and that's for a kettle lead!

I've had 2 x 2mtr lengths of their Odin speaker cable @ £24k on demo. 😅
    Do buyers of these kettle leads consider their mains wiring? Seems a bit pointless if using a standard 13amp socket and whatever’s behind that.

Or can’t be seen so doesn’t matter?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yes !

Master
    It’s worth noting that the standard white plastic cables are also sold on Applestore and are much cheaper - a 2m USC-C charging cable is £19.99 and a 2m Thunderbolt cable is £39. No doubt there are cheaper options than that elsewhere, but the expensive cable mentioned is a ‘Pro’ cable (whatever that means) and not the standard option.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Do buyers of these kettle leads consider their mains wiring? Seems a bit pointless if using a standard 13amp socket and whatever’s behind that.

Or can’t be seen so doesn’t matter?
    Some people into high end Hi-Fi run the whole lot from batteries to eliminate the dirty aspects of a typical mains feed.

Blog Entries
    Yep, and some people believe in fairies at the bottom of their garden!

It's rather like the statement that 'your warranty could be invalidated if you don't use our.......'. The important word here is 'could', but for a lot of people they mentally substitute it with 'will'!
    Hardly a fair comment, as many claim they can hear a difference.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post
    Some people into high end Hi-Fi run the whole lot from batteries to eliminate the dirty aspects of a typical mains feed.
    Yes my friend has his own recording and music studio and the whole thing runs from battery power, it’s all on solar and very very clever .. I don’t fully understand but what I do know is there’s one of the purest noise free systems installed I have ever heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have some of these somewhat pricey cables as part of my hobby. Not much different from buying a PP rather than a Timex. Design costs.....

Quote Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post
    They use a mains conditioner... it's surprising how 'dirty' it is. They are very effective.

We could hear differences over cheaper silver cables but percentage wise not enough to validate it's cost. It is staggeringly good.
    It is horrendously difficult and expensive to manufacture. No company in the UK can make it ( it's made in the USA).
    This stuffs made for people with titanium black Amex cards, they do sell it though strangely enough.
    Indeed Rod. As you undoubtedly know, alternating electronic signals passing through a conductor do so through different parts of that conductor depending on frequency. So changing the construction of that conductor will change to some degree where the various frequencies travel and to a degree the amplitude of those frequencies. So depending on cable construction there will be a slight difference in sound. Some may be able to hear it, most will probably not as room acoustics will play a greater part anyway. For digital signals the structure of the cable has a much different effect on the end result - the signal either gets there or it doesn't, it cannot be improved in any way whatsoever by cable construction. You cannae change the laws of physics Jim. I posted quite a lengthy piece on this a number of years back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Yes !
    And?
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Hardly a fair comment, as many claim they can hear a difference.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t80UDdbV3Mk
    Best Regards - Peter

Master
    In answer to the original question ‘who buys these things’, it turns out to be an extra long cable for the 6k resolution Pro XDR monitor mentioned earlier, with 40GB/sec transfer rate. This will be used by professionals with £10k Mac Pros and high end graphics cards, in suites designed for film editing and colour correction, potentially in a room designed just for this. TLDR - this £129 cable is connecting together a £15,000 edit suite used for cutting Hollywood movies. Cheaper cables may do the job, but that’s the context and that’s who buys it.

On the side discussion about audio cables, hifi is a bit of a rabbit hole you can fall into I think, much like watches. Like any engineering, the last 10% of quality costs ten times the price, the last 1% is a hundred times the price. For me it’s about picking the sensible part of that curve, the 90% level where it’s incredibly good and still good value, then relax and enjoy the music or get lost in the story of the film. It’s not as if we walk down the street amazed at how perfect the sound is, but that’s what it is, perfect sound with no distortion, the thing you are hearing right now. And in my case at least, no matter how expensive my speaker cables are, I’ll still be able to hear the distant sound of my fridge defrosting in the background.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 31st July 2020 at 14:51.

Master
    Russ Andrews, another company selling magic cables.
    How deep are your pockets?
    https://www.russandrews.com/cables/

 and that's for a kettle lead!

I've had 2 x 2mtr lengths of their Odin speaker cable @ £24k on demo. 
    IEC and kettle lead aren’t the same thing.

Here's the post about speaker cable.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5465645

Blog Entries
    .......... So depending on cable construction there will be a slight difference in sound. Some may be able to hear it, most will probably not as room acoustics will play a greater part anyway. For digital signals the structure of the cable has a much different effect on the end result .......
    So it’s not all fairytales then is it.
    And hardly necessitated your condescending reply.